Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Single Speed gearing  (Read 873 times)

Offline James Malone

• Trails volunteer Florida Mudcutters
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Giant Anthem Advanced 29, On One Inbred SS 29, Specialized Stumpjumper
Single Speed gearing
« on: May 29, 2011, 12:10:51 AM »
Recently aquired a SS(On One Inbred) and am running 34/17(chainring/ cog combo that was on the bike when I got it). I am able to handle all of terrain at Alva(I am a Mudcutter and SWAMP'er and ride mostly Alva trails). went to Alafia today for only the second time and brought the Inbred for a trial run on Rollercoaster, North Creek, Bridges, Rock Garden, Rabbit Ears1. Made all but a few climbs, but worked pretty hard to get it. Ran into another SS'er that said my gear combo was "pretty hard". Anyone want to suggest or comment about gearing on SS bikes in general? Thanks!

PS I did search forum for a thread on this, but didn't find anything.
It's a cinch by the inch... HARD by the yard!

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
Re: Single Speed gearing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 07:02:27 AM »
i run a 32/17 and can ride everything at Boyette, Alafia and Santos and I'm an average rider.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:05:04 AM »
from what i have read and heard and seen 32 is the best all around Chain ring for most SS riding. I know a lot of people who run 32/18 or 32/17 around hear. some even run 32/16.. I also hear that for mountain riding like in north GA 32/20 or 32/22 is perfect... Most SS's I know have a couple different rear cog's and change them out for the type of trails they ride.. Example, if you are riding alva 32/16 might be fine, but Alafia you may want to run 32/18...

I plan on building up my own SS 29er soon and plan on having 32 CR and both a 18T and 16T Cog

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
Check out the gear calculator on sheldon brown's site, it allows you to compare different combos and gives you thr gear ratio of each. 32/18 is a good starting point, punch in your 34 cr and find out which cog would give you equivilent gearing :)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:35:40 AM »
Check out the gear calculator on sheldon brown's site, it allows you to compare different combos and gives you thr gear ratio of each. 32/18 is a good starting point, punch in your 34 cr and find out which cog would give you equivilent gearing :)

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/  link to the calculator

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »
I run a 32x18. Perfect cruising gear. I am an avg rider and can clear pretty much anything with it...athough a couple spots on moonscape and gatorback give me some issues still.

If you can make most of the climbs with your current setup maybe consider going up one tooth in the back. Cogs are typically cheaper than chain rings. You can typically find a multipack of cogs on ebay for about the cost of one chain ring.

Offline ender.

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Steel CX
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Lately I have been running 32x16. I started riding 32x18, but found I like the extra "torque" on the flats to get going with the 16t cog. Also, part of the allure of SS to me is the challenge and 32x16 seems to offer that. I finally cleared Gatorbait at Boyette for my first time with the 16t cog and felt very accomplished.

"It never gets easier, you only go faster" I am not sure who said it but I have tried to make that my mantra.

As others have said, just try different ratios, eventually you will find what you like, and that is all that matters.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Recently aquired a SS(On One Inbred) and am running 34/17(chainring/ cog combo that was on the bike when I got it). I am able to handle all of terrain at Alva(I am a Mudcutter and SWAMP'er and ride mostly Alva trails). went to Alafia today for only the second time and brought the Inbred for a trial run on Rollercoaster, North Creek, Bridges, Rock Garden, Rabbit Ears1. Made all but a few climbs, but worked pretty hard to get it. Ran into another SS'er that said my gear combo was "pretty hard". Anyone want to suggest or comment about gearing on SS bikes in general? Thanks!

PS I did search forum for a thread on this, but didn't find anything.

ha i so you are still running the gearing i had on there.
now as stupid as it sounds i am using 32x16 which is supposed to be an equivalent to 34x17  same gear inches but it doesn't feel the same. i could be delusional but i will be going back to a 34x 17 set up as my all around gearing, and 34x16 as my wta gear. although i did use 34x16 at boyette for a long time its just not practical for sandy days and ridgeline switchbacks...

when i was riding in the mountains i used 32x18 and that felt great...
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Online aaron1017

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • AAROWN
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
I run 33/17 on my 29er. Its PERFECT. Tad more than 32/17 but not quite 32/16.

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »
32x18 is starting to get easy at alafia...
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline James Malone

• Trails volunteer Florida Mudcutters
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Giant Anthem Advanced 29, On One Inbred SS 29, Specialized Stumpjumper
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 10:23:44 PM »
Thanks all for your input. I will now begin my own highly scientific experiments and report my findings here.
It's a cinch by the inch... HARD by the yard!

Advertisement: