Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Day trip from Charlotte, NC  (Read 1253 times)

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Day trip from Charlotte, NC
« on: June 04, 2011, 09:20:53 PM »
So it's looking like I'm going to be spending a week in Charlotte at the end of the month. Will be able to get away for a day or two to the mountains. Where should I go?

I've been looking into bringing the bike but it looks like way to much hassle and expense. Looks like renting a bike will be the best option. Any recommendations?

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Day trip from Charlotte, NC
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 02:06:03 PM »
Go to Pisgah.  Rent a bike at Sycamore Cycles. You're welcome.

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 05:36:08 PM »
yes, there are places around charlotte but you really should go to pisgah if you want mountains. make sure your brakes work real good.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 07:39:30 PM »
You may also want to check out the national whitewater center while you are in Charlotte - http://usnwc.org/
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 01:06:35 AM »
Pisgah is the first place that comes to my mind. I don't know the area at all and haven't found any good resources yet in my limited searching. It's a pretty good drive from where we'll be staying but manageable.
I would hope that rental bikes in the area would have good brakes. I was trying to figure out how to bring my bike but it was going to be too expensive and a major hassle for the time I'll have available. I've sent an inquiry email to Sycamore to make sure something my size is available in my time frame.

I found the National Whitewater Center while searching. Looked like it might be worth an early morning trip since it's not too far my friend's place in Charlotte. I could probably get in and out in a morning before I'm missed too much.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
With the whitewater center, you buy the 'adventure pass' or whatever and spend the whole day there.  Do the whitewater rafting down the multiple runs, do the zipline course, kayak, etc...that place was a blast when I was there.  They do have a network of mountain bike trails there that looked nice from the very little I could see so maybe that is worth checking out as well.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline mpeagan

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized Hardrock, 2003
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 09:18:51 AM »
While I agree Pisgah and Dupont offer a lot (esp. the Pisgah Tavern/Hub), the travel time may be a bit much from Charlotte.  I would suggest the Whitewater Center or the Uwharrie Forest and the trails there (http://www.sorbauwharrie.org/trails.cfm).  I do not know of any bike shops near Uwharrie that rents. 

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 09:44:49 AM »
Pisgah looks to be less than 3 hours. It's far but certainly doable. It's really no farther than traveling from here up to Gainesville. I did that for a cyclocross race and people here drive up to San Felasco pretty regularly. It shouldn't be any more than White Springs for Ididaride.

There's just so much out there... I've been reading for a while and have barely narrowed it down. Looks like I'll get at least one day in the mountains. Might be able to sneak another day in at some place like the Whitewater Center by making more of a group thing.

I'm leaning towards renting from Sycamore Cycles and going to Dupont SF right now. But nothings firm.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:03:30 AM by ClintonRH »

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »
Clinton, some routes here: http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/?cat=18

Also, the new Pisgah map has suggested routes on it, definitely pick one up when you rent the bike.

There are plenty of fun trails in Charlotte, check the trailblazers site http://www.tarheeltrailblazers.com/ but don't expect a mountain experience unless you drive elsewhere...

Offline mpeagan

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Specialized Hardrock, 2003
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 04:19:34 PM »
Before you rent at Sycamore, stop in at the Hub.  Similar pricing, different steeds.  The pivot is great.  Plus the added bonus of the Pisgah Tavern, quality microbrews on tap in the bike shop.  Who could ask for more?  The Pisgah Sorba site has quite a few good routes posted and both shops sell the Dupont map (buy 1).  If I had one day I would start with:

To Briery and Back
This ride is one of my DSF favorites–the ride is just over 13 miles, and includes several trail segments that see little traffic. The ride ends with a 1.5 mile surf down Ridgeline Trail–if you’re not smiling when you return to your vehicle, go home and put your bike on eBay!

Getting there: Zero your trip odometer at the intersection of US-64, US-276, and NC280. Drive east (toward Hendersonville). At 3.7 miles (and the Triangle Stop) turn right onto Crab Creek Road. At 8.1 miles turn right onto DuPont Road. At 8.9 miles pass Sky Valley Rd on left. At 9.3 miles cross county line; road name changes to Staton Rd. At 10.8 miles turn left into the Lake Imaging Parking lot.

0.00 Around cable at north corner of parking lot onto Lake Imaging Rd
0.31 L onto Jim Branch Tr
1.58 R onto Isaac Heath Tr
1.94 Straight onto Locust Tr
2.38 L onto Lake Imaging Rd
2.67 R onto Buck Forest Rd
2.76 L onto Chestnut Oak Rd
2.96 L onto Oak Tree Tr
3.49 L onto Joanna Rd
3.89 Bear L to stay on Joanna Rd
4.33 Bear L to stay on Joanna Rd
4.59 R onto Twin Oaks Tr
5.54 R onto Briery Fork Tr
6.20 L and cross stream to stay on Briery Fork Tr
6.57 Stream crossing–dry foot to right
6.89 Straight onto Grassy Creek Tr
7.65 Stream crossing, then R onto Sandy Tr
7.72 L onto Wintergreen Falls Tr
8.10 L onto Tarkiln Branch Rd
8.26 Straight to stay on Tarkiln Branch Rd
8.37 Stream crossing
8.60 L onto Thomas Cemetery Rd
9.23 Thomas Cemetery on left
9.34 R onto Buck Forest Rd
9.60 Straight on Buck Forest (Jim Branch enters from left)
10.31 L onto White Pine Tr
10.62 R to stay on White Pine Tr (hooker Creek Tr enters from left)
10.81 L onto Hickory Mtn Rd
10.91 Straight (Guion Tr enters from right)
11.10 Straight (Boundary Tr enters from right)
11.26 Bear R to stay on Hickory Mtn Rd
11.34 L onto Ridgeline Tr
11.63 Straight (Hooker Creek Tr enters from left)
11.72 Bear L to stay on Ridgeline Tr
12.94 R onto Lake Imaging Tr
13.10 Around cable and back to your vehicle

and then figure out what to do next.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 05:25:24 PM »
I'm back to bringing my bike instead of renting. I'd really like to get at least two solid days of riding and having to worry of bringing a bike back before a shop closes makes the logistics harder to do on an after lunch ride to get some more riding in.

Besides my helmet, shoes, camelbak, pedals, etc were eating up too much space in my carry-on and paying to check a bag to make that stuff fit would have had to go as an additional cost towards the renting option.

Most likely I'm going to pack the bike up a day or two ahead of time and ship it with Amtrak Express shipping. My friend will pick it up for me at the station up there and hold it at his house. I can pack all my bike stuff in the box with the bike that way and my carry-on bag for the flight can be just stuff I need the rest of the week.

It's amazingly frustrating to me that a trip I proposed as an easy relaxed thing has gotten so difficult to make happen. I wanted to drive up to FATS camp overnight, ride in the early morning, pack up, do anything that she wanted to do, then finish the drive to Charlotte. Hang out for a day or two with an old friend, then over to Asheville area for a day or two before driving back.
Nope, I can't have anything the easy way. She doesn't want to drive, she's afraid her car will break down, and she'll be 'bored' while I'm off riding (she going to spend the week complaining about being bored and how I'm not paying attention to her in Charlotte the whole time now).

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
I liked the trails at the whitewater center. Lots of ups and downs. Very little flat ground. A solid 90 minute loop if you hit everything without stopping.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 12:31:06 PM »

Advertisement: