Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tour Divide Talk - GO!  (Read 3723 times)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Tour Divide Talk - GO!
« on: June 15, 2011, 12:42:07 PM »
Okay so I know I am not the only one around here following the 2011 Tour Divide  closely.  We may need our own thread to talk bout TD or bike touring in general.  While I never see myself doing this ride ever the thought has crossed my mind.  Tons of great stories coming out if you are follwing the Live Tracker or the MTB Cast calls.  ...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 01:17:45 PM by mksandoz, Reason: fixed title »

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Tour Divide Talk - GO!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »
I am following because I know I will never do it and respect those that even attempt it.. great stories for sure...

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
All I know is that if Rob Roberts is hurting, There's no way in hell I'd ever be able to do it. That man is a machine!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
From the comfort of my keyboard... Karlos just took about 17 hrs to cover the first NOBO (northbound) leg of about 180 miles?  Is relatively flat'ish compare to the rest of the route.  It is going to be a long long long ride.

Rob is covering about 130 miles a day on the SOBO (southbound) route going into six days now.  I am not sure what his longest ride to date has been.  Maybe the 300 Huracan miles or the TNGA?  Both of those don't come close to the 700 miles he has done so far. 

Longest ride I have done is about 120 miles over a 12 hrs race and I didn't do much else the rest of that week.  I don't have the super human strength or naked indian spiritual ways to do what they are doing.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:00:48 PM by SandPine »

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure TNGA is 350(ish) miles. That is quite possibly their longest event before TD.

The TD looks and sounds awesome, but I'm fairly certain id be one of the guys bailing in the first couple days.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 03:04:10 PM »
BTW the guy in the lead this year (mass start as opposed to ITT) is named Jefe Branham.  ("jefe" = Boss in spanish) He has covered close to 800 miles and started a few hrs after Rob.  But the kick of it is that he is on a Single Speed bike.  I bet is a 29er... Hahahahaha... Just thought I would mention this.   :P

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:33:57 PM »
definitely something to dream about. Cfitt may be my start at something long. The TNGA may be more of a Pinnacle ride than the TD for me.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 04:40:06 PM »
I'm not sure I could handle the terrain at TNGA. The Huracan 300 might be it for me. Of course I'd have to make it though C.F.I.T.T. before I could even think about the Huracan.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
Ok, I am stalking the TD riders too much... but I guess is better than talking about the TDF next month right.  Anyway,... anyone know what Rob may be doing for the last 3 hrs at this spot?  HOpefully his spot just hasn't updated in a while but it look like he has been at this location for 2-3 hrs now.  His feet were hurting but he rested/slept for over 10 hrs last night.  Hmmm..

Here is where he is at:

Looks like killer single track on a downhill but he is off the trail into the trees.  Maybe sleeping in the day?  Each one of the dimond spots i about 10 minutes increments.  Last update was 2 hrs ago.  Just curious.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 07:24:30 PM »
BTW the guy in the lead this year (mass start as opposed to ITT) is named Jefe Branham.  ("jefe" = Boss in spanish) He has covered close to 800 miles and started a few hrs after Rob.  But the kick of it is that he is on a Single Speed bike.  I bet is a 29er... Hahahahaha... Just thought I would mention this.   :P

is it rigid? :)

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Ok, I am stalking the TD riders too much... but I guess is better than talking about the TDF next month right.  Anyway,... anyone know what Rob may be doing for the last 3 hrs at this spot?  HOpefully his spot just hasn't updated in a while but it look like he has been at this location for 2-3 hrs now.  His feet were hurting but he rested/slept for over 10 hrs last night.  Hmmm..

Here is where he is at:

Looks like killer single track on a downhill but he is off the trail into the trees.  Maybe sleeping in the day?  Each one of the dimond spots i about 10 minutes increments.  Last update was 2 hrs ago.  Just curious.

his spot unit  has not updated for 2 hours, but there is a creek right there and he may be soaking his feet and legs

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »
is it rigid? :)
No... Jefe is the one on the left on pic below from another touring race he did...

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »
From what I could tell, Rob said he had a bike issue that he had to fix.  Must've been scrounging in the woods for parts:)  I also see this ride as a dream for when I'm old and geezery, for now I will do the next CFITT and maybe Huracan next year.  October 8th!
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 08:16:29 AM »
Glad to her Rob is okay.  I hope he gets moving soon since it appears he really is in the middle of nowhere. 

Per Karlos fb post and last call in, his first day effort may have set heavy on him.  Probably not enough sleep at the Silver City hostel in the day.  He climbed up to Pino Altos mt. and setup camp.  On his live tracker a green tent = at least 4 hrs of non-movement.  So hopefully he got 4 more hrs of sleep since is a looong ride to the next re-supply place.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
from mtbcast.com soon to be posted...

"About to post some calls but want everyone to know that Rob Roberts taco'd his wheel and blackened his eye in a crash on Fleecer. You'll see him head back to Butte."

I hope he is not walking back to Butte because it will take him 2 days to get there.  Another day to get back to how much he rode yesterday.  But looks like Cyborg will go on somehow.  Go ROB!

Click here to hear his call.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:49:39 AM by SandPine »

Advertisement: