Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Visiting Tampa and hope to ride  (Read 561 times)

Offline johnD

• First Bike
Visiting Tampa and hope to ride
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
Ill be in Tampa by next week and will be staying for a couple of weeks. Where is a good place to ride and rent bikes? What kind of trails do you have here? XC? AM? Is DH available? I would say I'm an intermediate rider who does all sorts of riding but prefer to do AM or maybe some light DH riding. Also, are there rides i could tag along with?  ;D

I have actually read the trail descriptions of each trail but was a bit overwhelmed by the information so I was hoping someone here could help me out. TIA

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Visiting Tampa and hope to ride
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 07:13:28 PM »
DH is available only in 1-2 sec long bursts dropping in to a dip.

It's 99% XC. There's definitely some very technical gnar available though on the expert trails.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 07:32:21 PM »
There is a guided ride this Sunday at Alafia you can jump in on at 9:00 a.m.  You should like that trail system.  Also, the back side of Boyette would give you a great workout.  Lakeland at Loyce Harp Park has about 10 miles of trail that is fairly technical.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 10:51:29 PM »
Ill be in Tampa by next week and will be staying for a couple of weeks. Where is a good place to ride and rent bikes? What kind of trails do you have here? XC? AM? Is DH available? I would say I'm an intermediate rider who does all sorts of riding but prefer to do AM or maybe some light DH riding. Also, are there rides i could tag along with?  ;D

I have actually read the trail descriptions of each trail but was a bit overwhelmed by the information so I was hoping someone here could help me out. TIA
                lol

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 11:15:50 PM »

Offline johnD

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:37:18 PM »
From the replies, looks like even AM is out of the question.  ::)

Garry,
From what I've read it seems that Alafia would be the trail I'd enjoy the most but too bad i won't be in Tampa until Tuesday next week. Will there be another guided ride after then? Any place you could suggest I rent a bike and some gear?

The Lakeland looks interesting too. What can you guys say about the Wilderness park trails? These are the closest to me and I might be able to ride there a couple of times.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 11:44:36 PM »

John check out ProEdgeBiker.com, it will give you an video idea on what the trails are like.. FYI, some of these videos do not give our trails any justice whatsoever.

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:25:24 AM »
From the replies, looks like even AM is out of the question.  ::)

Garry,
From what I've read it seems that Alafia would be the trail I'd enjoy the most but too bad i won't be in Tampa until Tuesday next week. Will there be another guided ride after then? Any place you could suggest I rent a bike and some gear?

The Lakeland looks interesting too. What can you guys say about the Wilderness park trails? These are the closest to me and I might be able to ride there a couple of times.

Alafia and Boyette are your best bets, they're worth the drive.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 09:48:19 AM »
Wilderness is good for cardio and general xc speed work. It's flat and twisty with lots of roots. It's a good ride, I do it a couple of times a month, but it's not worth renting a bike for.

My recommendation would be to hit up Alafia and Boyette. Alafia is smaller and easier to find your way around. The trails are on average a bit more gnar than Boyette and the expert stuff is more challenging. Boyette is IMO a more fun park though. The trails flow a little better and you get bounded around less. More elevation change as well. Ridgeline is probably the most interesting of all the local trails. Definitely worth the time it takes to pedal out to the back of the park. Its pretty easy to get lost at Boyette though. Be sure to print out the map as there are frequently none at the kiosk.

Advertisement: