Author Topic: Ridgeline/SWAMP Thing CLOSED  (Read 602 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Ridgeline/SWAMP Thing CLOSED
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:49:33 AM »
Publish
Ridgeline and SWAMP Thing are seasonal trails that we enjoy for the greater part of the year round riding season we have here in Florida.

We have gotten reports that they are in bad condition because of the rains of late.  Deep ruts in the clay base, from cyclists who don't police themselves from riding a trail that suffers badly when ridden in
wet conditions, means a lot of work and a longer closed period in order to restore it to maintain it's fun, rolling condition which is what attracts everyone to that trail in the first place. 

CLAY BASED TRAILS are a lot of
FUN in GOOD CONDITIONS, but the price we pay is STAY OFF WHEN WET conditions.

With more rain on it's way today, and the next several days, it is just better to
NOT RIDE IT until we can fix the present damage AND see what we can do to help armor certain soft spots to try and keep it open longer in the future.

We are still in the middle of building an extension to Sidewinder that we feel will be a fun alternative trail, (that will have built into it mitigation designed to sustain it in the wet season), while
SWAMP Thing and Ridgeline are CLOSED in our seasonal rainy season.

Thank you for taking the time to read and understand this long winded reason for our need to close these two trails at this time. 

If it helps, we have found that closing these trails
BEFORE the damage of ruts is done means far less repair and a SHORTER closed period.

Spread the word.

Thanks again.

Garry

Online aaron1017

• Huffy Rider
Re: Ridgeline/SWAMP Thing CLOSED
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:35:04 PM »
Publish
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! PAVE THE TRAILS!

But I'll spread the word.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:45:16 PM by aaron1017 »

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 08:31:56 AM »
Publish
So are these trails closed indefinitely or just from recent rains?  I'm looking at trip down there 7/9 and I need to plan accordingly.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:53:20 PM »
Publish
So are these trails closed indefinitely or just from recent rains?  I'm looking at trip down there 7/9 and I need to plan accordingly.

They're just closed until:

1) We can get a volunteer crew in the to repair and armor it.
We are still in the middle of pooling all of our resources to get Sidewinder finished in time for the FTF.  With a handful of volunteers dedicated to this job it takes several workdays with little room to make extensive repairs on other trail from rider damage on wet days.  Hence it's a "seasonal trail."

2) The rains let up some as clay trails take days to dry out.
We have learned that if we can keep riders off the clay based trails in the wettest conditions that they pretty much need no repair and just need time to dry out.  We can also go in and build up soft spots so that they can be ridden when wet, but this work is more labor intensive when ridden before we do that mitigation work.