Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: help-new to biking  (Read 932 times)

Offline dandelion

• Forum Newbie
help-new to biking
« on: July 02, 2011, 05:53:02 AM »
Hello. I'm new to biking and am trying to decide on what kind of bike to buy. I've been to many stores around Tampa and even with all the information given and all the bikes I've ridden, I'm still so utterly confused. I would like to know what experienced riders think would be the best kind of bike for what I plan to use it for. I plan to use the bike for fitness purposes on paved surfaces around Tampa. I do see myself taking it off-road maybe once a month, but nothing too intense. I was considering a mountain bike because I could change the wheels out and turn the suspension off when I wanted to go fast. But how fast could I really go? I love that mounatin bikes are a much easier ride than road or hybrid bikes. However, I've found that I'm most comfortable (as far as riding more than an hour) on a road bike due to the position of the handles. I believe a cyclocross bike would be the best fit but I'm not looking to spend over $900. I also feel as if I'm getting a much better workout on a road bike. I feel a mountain bike would be most durable (and comfortable) but I'm not sure if I would get used to the upright riding position. I've asked if it was possible to have the handlebars and shifters of a road bike put onto a hybrid bike but one shop told me it would be over $400 just to do that. It seems I can't have everything I want in a bike for my budget.

Any opinions about bikes for fitness, getting used to riding positions, and a suggestion of a good shop in Tampa would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: help-new to biking
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:07:55 AM »
I cant imagine it costing $400 to have a set of drop bars and road shifters installed.. Here is a line of Trek's that are what you are looking for, but w/o drop bars.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/dual_sport/ds_series

my suggestion would be to buy the complete bike like the Utopia and then shop around the different shops to add the drops, brake levers and shifters...

you can get a set of Off-road Drops for like $40 http://www.origin-8.com/?page_id=91&short_code=Pro+Pulsion+Alloy+Gary-2&cl1=HANDLEBARS so the most money will be spent on the brake levers and Shifters...

make sure you buy a bike with either mechanical disc (preferred) or rim brakes. No hydraulic Disc as the road bike levers will not work with them.

There are a couple of guys on here that have done custom builds like you are asking about, but also look on www.mtbr.com in the forums section for more information. 

Offline Murf :

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: help-new to biking
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:25:02 AM »
i have recently added drop bars and road shifters to a mountain bike, depending on what bike you start out with it can cost close to $400 depending on your taste in components.below is a photo of one of my drop bar 29ers (any chance to show it off i will take). I bought a set of used 105 flightdeck shifters, and a set of road bb5's the derailleurs are shimano xtr rear, and deore front. took a little tweaking but now shifts flawlessly . total cost of this conversion including bars (one one midges) was about $240. Mountain bike head tubes are considerably shorter so you may  end up with a large stack and or high rise stem to get the had position you are comfortable with . here is the mtbr thread that dw was talking about   http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=462507

Advertisement: