Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How do I measure my cranks length? How do I measure my shock length and width?  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
I might be upgrading my cranks and BB to the Raceface Deus from my current Raceface XC.  (lighter and stiffer and better looking).  But how can I tell if I have the 170mm, 175mm, or the 180mm?  Do I measure from the middle of the top hole (bb spindle) to the middle of the bottom eye (pedal)?  Or from the very top of the crank to the very bottom?

Also, I need to replace my 3-way air manitou shock so I know on that one I do measure from center of eye to the other.  (hole to hole) but how do I tell if I have a 2" or 1.75" one?  Is that the measurement from one side of the bushing to the other?

What is funny is that my SUV has a warped rotor so I desided to replace both along with the disc pads.  I am doing the work myself so I ordered both SUV rotors and both sets of pads.  Total costs in parts = $150.  Well, if I upgrade my Hayes Soles brakes on my bike to the Juicy 7 (2007 version) it is going to cost me about $350 in parts alone.  Now how is it hat I will pay more for the brakes on my bike then my SUV.????  ?...    Just don't tell my wife.... LOL.... ;) ;) ;)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
I might be upgrading my cranks and BB to the Raceface Deus from my current Raceface XC.  (lighter and stiffer and better looking).  But how can I tell if I have the 170mm, 175mm, or the 180mm?  Do I measure from the middle of the top hole (bb spindle) to the middle of the bottom eye (pedal)?  Or from the very top of the crank to the very bottom?

Just look at what size is stamped on the inside of your crank arms and it will tell what you have.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
I don't really know why the bike parts are more expensive, but I do know that riding around in that Suv is something that anybody can do, but riding that bike the way that we do will make most people look like a fool ( if not, put a whole lot of hurt on them). Those dollars are an investment in your health 10 years from now. Just think how you want to be in the year 2017 if you keep riding, versus how you will be if you don't. Has anyone noticed the differences in how people look based on how active  the people are. Hanging out and socializing within the bike community, everyone looks at least 10 years, maybe 15 years younger than the 'others' (non-bikers), so you get used to what we as bikers look like at 40, 45, 50  years old. I cringe when I hear some non biker peoples age. I would have guessed they were 10 - 15 years older and I am glad I kept my  mouth shut or Iwould have insulted the piss out of them. They look like sh%# for their age!   Could it be that we have found what so many have searched for - The Fountain of Youth. Hey, that might be a good name for  a trail, a long meandering easy to ride beginner trail.  ;)     ( "If you build it, they will come." )
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: