Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How to clean wax-based lube from bike and other lube questions  (Read 590 times)

Offline tampabobby

• First Bike
Hi All - I am a newbie and have only been riding a few months. I have a Giant Revel 2 that is nothing special but has been getting the job done so far. I've lubed the chain a few times with White Lightning - which is a wax based chain lube.

In the process I've gotten a fair amount of it on my frame, tires, and the gears. I read that mineral spirits is a good way to clean this stuff off my chain but what about the bike frame - would that eat through the paint as well?

Also - when I clean and re-lube my chain it seems like there is a still a ton of dirt inbetween the links. I just blast it with a hose and dry it with a towel, then apply the lube. Is this the correct method or should I be cleaning it more thoroughly?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
Re: How to clean wax-based lube from bike and other lube questions
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:40 PM »
the key is proper cleaning of the chain, let it dry, then add lube, wipe off excess lube.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&xhr=t&q=bicycle+chain+cleaner&cp=15&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1280&bih=578&wrapid=tljp1310662097193026&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16105324543428935332&sa=X&ei=1x0fTr2SMcfUgAedruSoAw&sqi=2&ved=0CDYQ8wIwAA#

This type of chain cleaner is common. But you can also just remove the chain ( if your chain has a master link) then use the cleaner of your choice to fill enough of an old water bottle, extran large coke bottle etc, insert chain, shake for a while, drain cleaner, repeat.

Possible cleaners: Bicycle brand of chain cleaners ( all kinds available, see your local shop) Paint thiner, Simple Green, Diesel fuel, Gas, etc. Suggest to stay with biodegradeble easy to dispose of types of cleaner though.

As for the bike, use Simple Green or any of the common house hold cleaners you might find at Walmart.. or again you could but an actual "bicycle" cleaner from a local shop.

PS. Some cleaners will "stain" Fox forks, if that happens, use a silicone spray to wet the fork down, then wipe it off. No more stains.

Hope that helps! 
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »
For your frame use Pledge, it's what we use in the shop and it works wonders. 
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
Silicone and pledge cant be rotor/pad friendly especially after you wash or rinse you bike off

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
I use GUNK Silicone Spray from Home Depot to clean our whole MTBs, hasn't let me down in over 10yrs.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 07:54:39 AM »
Simple Green works great for me for cleaning up the frame.  Just make sure whatever cleaner you end up using to keep it away from bearings or other parts that should be lubricated. 

If you are the type of person that likes to keep your bike clean all the time, try using automotive spray detailer (Mothers, Meguiars, etc) on the frame after you clean it up and dry it.  It helps keep dirt and crap from sticking to it. 

Offline tampabobby

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 09:37:57 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give these a try. I have been letting my bike get pretty dirty but with all the rain and mud the last few weeks as well as the lube all over the place I think it's time for a thorough cleaning. There is also a bunch of dirt grinding away in my rear axle as well that I mentioned in another post but I may take it into a bike shop for that.

Advertisement: