Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cleaning rear wheel  (Read 930 times)

Offline tampabobby

• First Bike
Cleaning rear wheel
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
Hi All - I have a newbie question about my back wheel. Lately when the wheel is spinning it sounds like there is some dirt inside the axle. I think this may be causing some friction and slowing me down but I am not sure. Is this normal? Is there a way to clean/check this without taking off all the gear plates in the rear wheel?

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Cleaning rear wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:16 PM »
by gear plates do you mean the cassette?  What type of wheel? (make model...ect)
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »
take it to a Bike shop for a tune up...

Offline tampabobby

• First Bike
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
by gear plates do you mean the cassette?  What type of wheel? (make model...ect)

the round spikey things that are attached to the rear wheel that the chain grips to... is that called a cassette? I have a Giant Revel 2 with stock 26" tires. I've rode it in rain and mud a few times over the last few weeks and I think that some of it got inside the axle because it sounds like dirt is in there anytime the tire is spinning.

Offline tampabobby

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:34:53 AM »
take it to a Bike shop for a tune up...

that is a good idea, I will probably do that.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 12:15:58 PM »

the round spikey things that are attached to the rear wheel that the chain grips to... is that called a cassette? I have a Giant Revel 2 with stock 26" tires. I've rode it in rain and mud a few times over the last few weeks and I think that some of it got inside the axle because it sounds like dirt is in there anytime the tire is spinning.

hahaha...that was funny
 a bike show would be best.assuming your stock wheels have a ball and cone setup.
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »

Sweet another saracstic prick asking for help....he'll fit right in!  I suggest you visit the LBS less you ruin that poor junkie Giant, I oughta know Giant Suxx as they say here.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 03:43:02 PM »
I'm going to go back to the OP and try and answer his original question.

The plates are called cassette cogs. The cassette doesn't necessarily have to come off. BUT, if you're trying to clean and regrease a traditional cup and cone hub (as opposed to a sealed cartridge bearing) to lockring that holds the cogs in place must come off. Once the lockring is off you might as well take the cassette off because if you don't the cogs will probably fall off in a bit of carelessness and you'll have the unpleasurable task of putting the cogs and spacers back in the correct order. Better to take it off all together and set it aside so everything stays in order. Once that's taken care of you'll have to loosen and remove the locknut and cone from the non-drive side. Hopefully at this point the axle along with the driveside locknut and cone will be able to drop out the driveside. A bunch of bearings will probably fall out as well at some point in this process, don't lose them.

Once the axle is out you clean everything up, pack with new grease, and put it all back together. The trickiest part is setting the bearing preload when reassembling. It's not hard but there's a bit of finesse to getting it 'just right.'

To do this you'll need a cassette lockring tool and cone wrenches. If you want to do it yourself and learn how come visit the bike co op.

If your hub uses sealed cartridge bearings - take it to a shop. The old ones will have to be driven out then new ones pressed in. Depending on the manufacturer, it might be really easy or it might be a major PITA.

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
If you want to do it yourself and learn how come visit the bike co op.

Great post, I always want to learn more in an effort do things right and be as anal as I like, so what is this bike co op you speak of?

Advertisement: