Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Race Etiquette  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Fisherman

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Tassajara
Race Etiquette
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
So http://www.thedirthead.com/index.html will be my first trail bike race. Although I've ridden Croom and all the other tracks around tampa several times, I'm mainly a runner and I've never raced on the trails before.

So what are the basic rules for passing and getting passed on single track? It's usually easier to follow than lead, so I imagine that drafting is common and many people will ride in groups. Any tips for a first timer? I'm only doing the 7 miler, so it becomes more important. If it were a longer race I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Race Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:53 AM »
Drafting....this is reserved for the road.  There isn't much drafting in MTB races....  Passing is usually done where can do so, and typically on the left.  As for getting passed - thats your call if you know the rider is stronger than you communicate where you plan on letting them by...  In a 7 mile race most folks may consider that an all out 7 mile TT and go as hard as they can with the run in mind....  Not many groups form either, there isn't any wind to hide from due to the trees and so on...  get out front, a good start is paramount and ride your race not getting caught up in another rider's pace
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Fisherman

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 08:03:22 AM »
Thanks. Good to know. I just want to make sure I don't violate any unwritten rules.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »
Drafting....this is reserved for the road.  There isn't much drafting in MTB races....  Passing is usually done where can do so, and typically on the left.  As for getting passed - thats your call if you know the rider is stronger than you communicate where you plan on letting them by...  In a 7 mile race most folks may consider that an all out 7 mile TT and go as hard as they can with the run in mind....  Not many groups form either, there isn't any wind to hide from due to the trees and so on...  get out front, a good start is paramount and ride your race not getting caught up in another rider's pace

i saw plenty of drafting in a mtb race(squiggy)... not nearly as much as the road but fare share
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 09:07:52 AM »
Squiggy isnt a real MTB race 8)  in the FSC series the only time I saw drafting was at Ft. Clinch were we actually used real roads from section to section of singletrack....but point taken.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Fisherman

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 10:42:18 AM »
So in trail races is it considered impolite to stay within 10' of their back tire without taking the lead and carrying the load too?

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:37:23 AM »
Not impolite.  The parts of the course where there may actually be a minimal amount of beneficial drafting are too short to worry about that sort of thing.

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 11:44:31 AM »
That would be perfectly acceptable, but not advised.

If you are able to hang onto somebody's tire for an extended period you are probably faster than them. In such a short race I would recommend passing them as soon as possible so they don't hold you up. Pressure tends to get to people and having you on them is likely to cause them to push harder and possibly wreck, which will hold you up.

If this is a race on single track I wouldn't think they are doing more work than you by leading so there probably isn't any energy convervation by following them. If you hit some open roads in the race it would make since to let somebody else pull you through those sections. I wouldn't worry about using them unless they say something to you about it. If you feel guilty jump in front for your turn.

disclaimer- I'm new to racing so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »
That would be perfectly acceptable, but not advised.

If you are able to hang onto somebody's tire for an extended period you are probably faster than them. In such a short race I would recommend passing them as soon as possible so they don't hold you up. Pressure tends to get to people and having you on them is likely to cause them to push harder and possibly wreck, which will hold you up.

If this is a race on single track I wouldn't think they are doing more work than you by leading so there probably isn't any energy convervation by following them. If you hit some open roads in the race it would make since to let somebody else pull you through those sections. I wouldn't worry about using them unless they say something to you about it. If you feel guilty jump in front for your turn.

disclaimer- I'm new to racing so take all of this with a grain of salt.

you race FC?

i thought half of the fun is riding someones wheel untill they crashed...
lol

i am curious to know the rules as well... havent done any "real races"
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Advertisement: