Author Topic: Wilderness Park Trail Work Day information  (Read 5922 times)

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Prophet, Blue
Wilderness Park Trail Work Day information
« on: September 13, 2006, 09:26:21 AM »
Saturday, September 16th, we will begin clearing a re-route section in Flatwoods. This single-track will run parallel to the existing Panther Trail (doulbe-track) and will follow along Trout Creek above the high water mark. We would like to have this section open in time for our holiday Party, the first Sunday in December. Please come out and give us a hand.

Additionally, Ken will have a crew stabilizing a few wet spots on the Heartbreak Ridge Trail in Morris Bridge Park. Ken will have the tools, he just needs a few helpers.

Equally important, we need some volunteers to bring their bikes to ride and clip. Misery and a few other trails have overgrowth from the recent rains.

Please contact Ken (at) SWAMPclub.org so Ken will have enough tools and food, ready for you. Let Ken know by noon on Friday so he can get his shopping done.

See you Saturday.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 08:38:12 PM by Forum Manager »
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline Kevan

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Panther re-route in Flatwoods set for Trail workday (Sept 16, 06)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 09:44:49 PM »
From Wes:

A special Thank You to Dave Whyte for being the club's rock hauler of the day. Dave picked up and delivered a load of rock to Morris Bridge for the workday, then grabbed another load and headed to Boyette.
Thanks for Dick Stillwagon for assisting.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline Kevan

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Panther re-route in Flatwoods set for Trail workday (Sept 16, 06)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2006, 10:07:06 PM »
From Ken:

To all the people who showed up today,thank you!!!!!!!!! We accomplished every thing that was on the list.It feels great when that happens. Garry Rossiter, Wes & Marty Eubank, Myron Vanderlaan, Dick & Rowena Stillwagon, Holly Swales, Jay St Charles, Kevan Sheridan, Javier Avila, Gregg Irving, Brian Eckman, Scott Mosely, George Gaskell, Rob Hatton, Ian Hatton and Ken Orlando

Thank you all again.
Ken

On the list for today:
  • Re-Route Panther trail section (from double-track to sweet single-track)
  • Trim all trails, especially Gator Bait, Grandpa, Misery and Techno Pig
  • Add rock to soft sections of Heartbreak Ridge trail
  • Close new section of Heartbreak Ridge, re-route to old exit till trail is shored up
  • Shell main trail where rock was put under the sand (between power lines and USF trail) last workday
  • Repair wash-out at west end of Piglet
  • Repair wash-out at allie-up ditch (for Intro to Mountain biking class)

Great workday!

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
Re: Panther re-route in Flatwoods on Trail workday (Sept 16, 06)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:02:54 AM »
Information from Wes:

On Saturday September 16th we made a good start on the new Panther trail re-route in Flatwoods. Thursday 9/21 we worked to complete marking that trail, and did some rough cutting along the way.

Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Re: Panther re-route in Flatwoods on Trail workdays
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 08:39:51 PM »
More information from Wes:

Worked on finalizing the new Panther route today (Thursday, October 5, 2006). I believe that with a strong turnout on the Morris Bridge workday, we can open this trail with one day's effort.

There is no feeling of accomplishment like riding a new trail that you helped build. Volunteer a few hours, then ride the thing. It will make you proud.

Our next Morris Bridge workday is Saturday, October 21.

wes
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Wilderness Park Trail Work Day information
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 09:57:04 PM »
Saturday, Oct. 21st at the boat launch at Morris Bridge and the river, 8:45 a.m.

Hey folks, this time of year seems to always be a busy time for trail maintenance as we get closer to the Fat Tire Fest and our other trails need maintaining too.

Big Ken "Gruff" Orlando will be out of town this weekend riding the great mountain bike trails near Asheville and asked if I would head up his trail day this coming Saturday.

What we have is to hopefully open up the Panther "reroute" to avoid the sandy two track and muddy conditions when it rains.
We also need to trim back some of the overgrowth squeezing in on the other single track trails.  Nothing too major this workday so everyone can join in - makes it go faster that way too.  Besides with this trail day you get to also ride your bike!  Not bad, grab some volunteer hours on your bike, get lunch and drink, who knows, might even be able to rustle up some brownies or cookies or something.

Be sure to RSVP to me (trails (at) swampclub .  org) so we can plan on enough tools and lunch.  If you have some favorite trimming tools please bring them.  Better to have too many than not enough.

Hope to see a bunch of SWAMPers or even non SWAMPers there.  Very soon we will be out of the growing season.

Thanks in advance.

Garry Rosseter

[Edit: correct e-mail address]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2007, 09:58:40 PM by Kevan »

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Re: Wilderness Park trail work day, Saturday October 21
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 02:38:26 PM »
Hey folks,
Still looking for some dedicated volunteers to help Saturday October 21 at the Morris Bridge/Trout Creek/Flatwoods Trails.  We have the Panther reroute to clean up and open, an assortment of single track between there and the "Y" that needs the face whackers taken out, and some turns need trimming so you can see as you go into them.  As you can tell nothing too hard, so bring the family, bring the kids.  If we can knock all of this out there won't be much left to do but minor maintenance.  Lets surprise those folks going to Asheville with some awesome looking trail to ride when they get back.

Be sure to RSVP so enough food, drink and cookies will be on hand.  Not mention tools.  Bring 'em if you have 'em, or we'll have some to hand out.

Garry

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
Re: Wilderness Park trail work day, Saturday October 21
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006, 02:43:15 PM »
It was a good day for trail trimming.  Not too hot, but hot enough.  We had ten (10) dedicated SWAMPers clearing overgrowth and cutting in the Panther reroute.  If we had a couple of more hours or 5 to 6 more bodies we would have cleared the complete reroute today.  This will be a fun little section to ride once it's complete.  The hogs are active, but it won't take much to establish the singletrack.

Major thanks to George Gaskil, Frank Truluck, Clint Perigard, Kenny Dixon, Dale Scull, Leon Elt, Garry Rosseter, Malissa Irby, Jonathan Noll, and Troy Noll.

There is still a small amount of trimming and clearing to do on the Panther reroute, so we'll be looking to do that on another day.

Don't forget - next Saturday, October 28th, is our combo Alafia/Boyette workday.  We will be looking for a large amount of people for the last big push before the Fat Tire Festival in just THREE SHORT WEEKS.

Much thanks goes out to all who help with trail building and maintenance.  If it wasn't for you folks we would not have the luxury of four great trail systems with over 100 miles of trail in our area to ride.

Thanks,
Garry

Offline Kevan

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 10:02:19 PM »
I have some information from Wes too:

The Panther by-pass has been flagged and rough cut from end to end.
The north end hits the pavement directly south of where the aluminum bridge accesses the pavement. The south end hits the two-track about a 100' east of where the road curves and starts heading east. Any farther south and we ran into standing water from this weeks heavy rains.

The trail has been cleared enough so that future trail clearing teams know where to go. Minor adjustments will be required to smooth turns and bypass heavy palmetto clumps.

Click the image to see a larger version of the aerial image that shows where the completed trail will be (roughly). (The white line)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:06:19 PM by Forum Manager »

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 09:17:20 PM »
   I  rode  the Panther trail last Thursday, along with all the others, and I really enjoyed it. Still a little rough but it just needs a bit more riding on. It's a really different trail compared to the rest there because of the location and density of the trail( not to mention the roots). Great job guys!

Ken
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!