Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: So it's looking like I'm going to be spending a week in Charlotte at the end of  (Read 532 times)

Offline madyhorse

• Forum Newbie
So it's looking like I'm going to be spending a week in Charlotte at the end of the month. Will be able to get away for a day or two to the mountains. Where should I go?

I've been looking into bringing the bike but it looks like way to much hassle and expense. Looks like renting a bike will be the best option. Any recommendations?

Offline Chopper Read

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Horizontal Trackstand Expert
  • My Bike: Green Machine
If you are doing an overnight stay, head out early to Bryson City and do the Tsali trails, you can rent a decent bike at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. Not overly difficult, and no heart attack inducing lung busting climbs (though there are a few that will get you hurting some)- but great views and very fast, well groomed downhills. About 3 hours from Charlotte.

There are also a ton of good trail around Asheville, about 2 hrs. I am told the Pigsah trails around there can get pretty difficult though.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
I was in Charlotte for a week a month ago. My experience:

Pisgah (3+ hrs from Charlotte) - my legs got covered in scratches from thorns. The Black Mountain trail was rutted and pretty much unrideable. I did 90% hiking up and down Black Mountain. Avery Creek was rutted and had lots of unrideable creek crossings. I would do both of these trails again- with hiking boots. Miserable waste of a vacation day. I'd recommend going with a local if you want to do it. I wish I'd gone to Dupont instead.

Sherman Branch (30 min to the east)- Fun, nothing challenging, very smooth, lots of fast flow. You're constantly going up and down. If I lived up there I would be there at least once a week on my cyclocross bike. It's a fun trail but not worth a trip unless you're going to be in town for a while. Nowhere to rent nearby though.

US National Whitewater Center (30 min west)- Some of the most fun trail that I've ever ridden. It's got a great mix of constant effort and constant reward. There's a steady stream of small challenges but nothing that really breaks the flow. A few challenging downhills and climbs on the 'hard' trails. Basic hardtail rental is included with the Adventure Pass. Full suspensions are available but aren't really required.

If I had one day in Charlotte to have fun I'd do the Whitewater Center. If I had two days, ... I might do it again. If you have a full day to play you really can't go wrong with the day pass.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Hike a bike is part of riding in the mountains, always is.... Pisgah is effin awesome and black mountain is always in my experience more than 90% rideable.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
You have far better legs than mine. I can't work myself up a six inch ledges while already climbing a frackin steep climb. I can do the climb or the step up, not both. Especially since every 10-20 ft there would be another one. Every time the trail would start pointing downward I was like a pinball bouncing between rocks and roots in a rutted gully of a trail.

I will freely admit that I'm not the best rider and I'm a terrible climber. BUT, I like the challenge and I'm perfectly willing to go deep into the pain cave and stay there to get something done. It's immensely rewarding to me. My experience on that trail was not fun though. It just hurt. When I got done there was no wow I did it feeling. It was completely, "thank goodness that's over."

I don't regret doing it. I would gladly trade that sucky day for any of the best days at work.

If I was going to do that particular trail again - I'd do it with hiking boots and leave the bike.

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
3 pisgah miles is like 21 florida miles...

Someone can correct me if that conversion is inaccurate.

Advertisement: