Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Jaguar at Boyette 8/3  (Read 2546 times)

Offline Schwei

• First Bike
Jaguar at Boyette 8/3
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:25:34 PM »
Hello all,
I rode Boyette last night and saw a Jaguar on the fire road about halfway to Lochness. I've read a lot of things about them being non-existant in Florida, but I assure you it absolutely was a Jaguar. It was a little bigger than a Golden Retriever or a Labrador, probably 75 pounds, and had a reddish brown back and a white belly with very defined Leopard-like black spots. It stopped about 100 feet ahead of me in the middle of the road, I slowed down (obviously) it looked at me for a second and took off headed north. It looked like it really ran off, so I gave it a min and I continued on my path. It stopped about 50 feet off to the north of the road, and took off again when it saw me, but I got a pretty good look at it.

I've seen my fair share of wildlife out there but this was a new experience and it kind of scared the crap out of me! Has anyone seen these things around?!
Don

Offline fatcamper

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl
Re: Jaguar at Boyette 8/3
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
You didn't drink any of the water from the streams out there did you?

Offline Schwei

• First Bike
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
You didn't drink any of the water from the streams out there did you?

I've been off Boyette stream water for a little while now. ;)

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »
Video? Pics?

N/A = Did Not Happen

Offline Schwei

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:18:14 PM »
Video? Pics?

N/A = Did Not Happen

Haha!....Stopping to take pictures = Probably not the best idea!

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:38:01 PM »
I believe you. I swear I saw a Jaguar on Vista Ridge one day. Everyone convinced me it was a Jaguarundi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Schwei

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:14:47 PM »
I believe you. I swear I saw a Jaguar on Vista Ridge one day. Everyone convinced me it was a Jaguarundi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguarundi

It definitely looked more like this- http://www.bluelion.org/images/jag2.jpg

I expect everyone to call Shenanigans. If I didn't see it myself I would be doing the same thing! Thanks for believing!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 07:32:28 AM »
I've seen the same critter, it has more black/brown than the prevelant yellow of a Jag. While working at Cargill/Mosaic back in the day we had a family of the same species living on the grounds. Best i can guess is they came over on one of the fertilizer barges from South/central America. Seems they are populating.

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5.5 WSD converted to guy bike
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »
Here in florida everything however improbable is possible. We have fantastic climate for any tropical critters to thrive.
If this was a jaguar (low probability) then it was probably released there by an owner who could not care for it because cute kitteh got a little too big.
If it was a florida panther (higher probability) then it is same one that lives in this vicinity. There is one that lives around orange groves somewhere. From what I understand it roams about 50 sq mi or so
If this was a florida lynx (highest probability) then I am not surprised because there is a huge momma and her cubs living in scrub preserve. I heard that there are multiple lynxs living there. I have seen a cub. Co-worker saw an adult and some guys I met on trail saw mom and cubs.

Florida lynx looks very similar to a jaguar.
Florida Bobcat (Lynx rufus floridanus)
Lynx is also called a bobcat. There are multiple subspecies living here in florida
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat
Ride within my safety limits

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
Amazing.  A jaguar is quite an impressive looking animal with it's coloration and more of an intense glare than that of a Florida panther.  Not to mention they run between 100-250 pounds. (About 5'/6' long). Young panthers have spots, but a bit more of a washed out color.  I would be totally surprised if it was in fact a brightly colored jaguar.  I've seen the panther on the property (80/90 lbs?).  But it's been a couple of years.  What ever it is feed one or two of the damn hogs to it next time you're out there please!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 07:14:08 PM »
I'm definitely not calling the OP a liar but I doubt he saw a Jaguar. Florida can be a crazy place though so maybe.

I've seen what I believe was a Jaguarundi. Wasn't nearly as big as the animal OP described. Was the size of a small dog (not one of those 'toy' almost dogs) but longer and more elongated with a long tail. Saw it on West Meadow approaching the double track creek crossing. Was very early twilight and I was racing the sun out of the park at the time.

Several reliable reports of panthers on the property. Doesn't seem to me like they live there but it's in their territory. I've never seen one.

I've had a run in with a big momma bobcat and her kittens a few years ago. Ran into her in the big grassy clearing of Swamp Thing right after the sun went down on the first night ride I did (was bypassing Ridgeline at the time). She was not a happy kitty but once her kittens had all run off into the tall grass she disappear in a blink.

There is a pack of coyotes that roams on the property. I saw four right after dusk in the clearing north of Spider Berm. They ran parallel to my bike for a hundred feet about the same distance away in the clearing then seemed to lose interest. Was VERY glad they lost interest as I had abandoned the night ride group to ride out with a bum tire (sidewall was bulging out in a spot and rubbing chainstay). I didn't much like the idea of four of them nipping at my heels even if they were small'ish for coyotes.

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
I saw a Jaguarundi at Flatwoods about a year ago, well, that's what the Ranger said it likely was we we spoke.

Offline jbrazinski

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Trek X-Caliber 29er
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 11:55:45 PM »
I'd prefer to see more native "cougars" on these trails , especially the blonde, brunette, and red colored ones. 8)

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5.5 WSD converted to guy bike
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 02:26:07 PM »
I've seen at least 5 today all with huge shoulder tattoos. Must be in style nowadays.
Ride within my safety limits

Offline jimn213

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: is fast, but I'm not...
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
I saw a Jaguarundi at Flatwoods about a year ago, well, that's what the Ranger said it likely was we we spoke.

I've seen bobcats on several occasions at Flatwoods (always late in the day), but never a jaguarundi.  More likely to see a bobcat there I would think... I guess anything is possible.  After all, a rider I think we all know swears he saw on panther over on the Mo Bridge side a couple years back.
Count not him among your friends who will retail your privacies to the world.
- Publilius Syrus (1st guy ever on a mailing list)

Advertisement: