Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tire help  (Read 466 times)

Offline santiagj

• First Bike
  • My Bike: Trek 4300
Tire help
« on: August 05, 2011, 07:38:05 AM »
Hello; I'm new to the sport here in Fl. I have a Trek 4300, I know is nothing fancy like what you guys have but still do the job of giving me mental relaxation. I have a question,  Can anyone recomend a tire that will handle sand and roots road well? I have issues with sandy soil.
<Joshua 24:15>

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Re: Tire help
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:19:33 AM »
You are going to get a lot of different opinions on the matter since tire choice, like underwear, is a very personal thing. 

Personally I like a nice high volume grippy tire up front to help float over the sand.  On the rear I like something with a little less volume and less aggressive tread that rolls faster.  Right now I am running a Specialized Purgatory 2.4 on the front and a Bontrager XDX on the rear....I love it but some folks seem to think the 2.4 is overkill. 

A popular combo is the Kenda Nevegal front with a Kenda Small Block 8 on the rear.  This is a great all around combo but in wet conditions the rear can get a bit squirrely. 

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:25:21 AM »
i agree with alan. very personal choice.. some will say one tire washes out on everything and another will say they have no issues with it at all...
 but i am a fan of big tires. 2.4 front 2.3 or so rear if you can fit it...
current setup is 2.4 conti mountain king front and 2.1 python in the back.... python will be swaped out for a racing ralph when i get the chance 2.25
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 09:02:25 AM »
As others have already said, more volume = more float in the sand. The specialized renegade in 2.1 floats extremely well as does it's slightly larger more aggresive sibling the 2.2 captain.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »
Riding style will also have something to do with handling sand and roots also.. Also I have found 29er and 26er bike tires handle pretty different.. for Sand I liked a skinnier tire on my 26er and would go fast through it and it would cut through it like a knife. I found the 29er handles sand better with larger volume tires like Alan and Mellow said.

larger volume will make the roots more manageable for sure. I ended up trying others old tires to see what I liked before I bought something, and others I just bought because they looked like something that would work well.

also, make sure you are not over inflating your tires. too much psi and you will bounce off the roots and sink deeper in the sand instead of floating  over it.. I run my psi in the low 30's but I am 280 lbs with full gear, lighter people can run lower but not too low...

then you start start getting into tread patterns and rotational weight, tubelss, tubed, tubeless beads, etc.. tires can get pretty complicated...LOL!

Advertisement: