Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: XC vs All Mountain....errrr.....  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Chopper Read

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Horizontal Trackstand Expert
  • My Bike: Green Machine
XC vs All Mountain....errrr.....
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:38:50 PM »
So I am starting to get a bit confused. I am hunting for a 29er- maybe a DS- and I see these heated debates about the extra inch of travel that defines (?) a trail (all mountain?) bike from an XC bike.

When I was hunting for a hard tail that didn't sem to matter. It had two wheels, an 80 or 100mm fork, and a seat.

With these fullies it starts getting pretty complicated. Does it really matter around here?

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: XC vs All Mountain....errrr.....
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
All mountain is oriented very similar but not quite as aggressive as a full on downhill mountain bike. You'll be adding weight  and usually price for a bike that suits other parts of the country better. If you only ride Moonscape and Gatorback trails at Alafia exclusively go and get an All Mountain bike. If you ride a little bit of everything then an XC bike would better suit you. I think you should visit several bike shops and ride a bunch of different bikes. Good luck.

Offline Chopper Read

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Horizontal Trackstand Expert
  • My Bike: Green Machine
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:33:02 PM »
Yes, I've been doing that. I'm kind of numb from all the different bikes. Then you read about them and get even more confused (at least I do).

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 09:20:14 AM »
You don't need a specific kind of bike to ride anything around here. Gatorback can be done on a six inch travel fs or a singlespeed rigid. It really boils down to what you feel more comfortable on.

Ride a bunch of bikes and figure out what you like. Don't be concerned if it is xc or am or whatever...if it feels good then ride it.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 07:16:04 AM »
A quality suspension design will be the key.  After "fit" of course.  If the difference in travel is only an inch or less, it may come down to how that travel is used.    I have a 3" xc 29er that I was concerned would be "undergunned" for a recent trip to Ga., NC, TN.  I got there, and to my surprise, the vast majority of people were on hardtails!  I appreciated my bike more on the climbs and would loved to have been able to bomb the downhills on a 6" travel bike, but mine was fine.  Pick the bike that will cover 90% of your riding (and be honest with yourself), the rest you will be able to get by.  Good luck.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:31:07 AM »
If your purchase can wait till November, you will be able to test ride several different bikes from different vendors (Giant, Specialized, Trek, Scott) at the Alafia FTF.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
You don't need a specific kind of bike to ride anything around here. Gatorback can be done on a six inch travel fs or a singlespeed rigid. It really boils down to what you feel more comfortable on.

Ride a bunch of bikes and figure out what you like. Don't be concerned if it is xc or am or whatever...if it feels good then ride it.

+1..
although some people cant ride with out full squish...
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:24:08 AM »
If your purchase can wait till November, you will be able to test ride several different bikes from different vendors (Giant, Specialized, Trek, Scott) at the Alafia FTF.

+1

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »
I echo what most folks here said already.  Bottom line go with what feels comfortable to you.  Everyone has their opinion, but you'll find that you like what you like.  Ride as many types as you can....you'll know the good fit when you ride it.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Here are IMO a set of definitions for bike classes, examples and applications.

XC:  This is a bike built for speed over moderate terrain.  The bike is usually a hardtail of FS up to 4.5 inches of travel.  They will usually weigh less than 25lbs have steep head tube angles (70-72 in a 26 inch form).  This bike accelerates and turns very quickly and will be a race oriented bike.  They will also have a more flat back riding position, rougher ride and be a little twitchy on technical decents.  A few examples include: Specialized Epic,  Elsworth truth,  Giant Anthem, Niner Air 9 Carbon.

All Mountain:  This bike is made to handle very technical obstacles and park type environments, but is not quite a full on downhill bike as it will still go uphill.  Most of these bikes are of the 26 inch variety and will have 6 to 7 inches of travel, 2.35-2.5" tires and rugged components.  These will have head tube angles of 66-67 degrees and weigh 30-35lbs depending on build.  Their agility in the buff comes at the price of slow climbing and turning response.  A few examples include: Santa Cruz Nomad, Specialized Enduro, Pivot Firebird and Ibis Mojo HD

Trail: This is the Swiss Army Knife of mountain biking and probably the most popular.  Suspension travel is usually 5-6 inches for 26ers, most FS 29ers, and some hardtails will hit this catagory as well.  Head tube angles will be 67 to 70 degrees, and bikes will wiegh aprox 24 to 30lbs.  These bikes will have a bit more relaxed riding position than the xc type and will be at home on all but the most technical trails.  They will handle the rough with more confidence than xc's and some will be nearly as fast.  75% of the bikes you see at our local trails will be of this type and are the logical choice for most people who can have only one bike.  Examples include:  Specialized Stumpjumper FSR,  Giant Trance, Elsworth Epiphany, Ibis Mojo, Trek (Fisher) Rumblefish, Pivot 5.7 and the list is endless.

Within each group you will find a vast selection of different pricepoints, suspension designs, component mixes and wheel sizes.  Take an honest look at how and where you will be riding 90% of the time and try as many bikes in that catagory that your budget will allow.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:53:07 PM »
There it is: Trail Bike! Fits 95% of the local riders.

Note: Many trail bikes with 5 to 6" of good pedling travel can be 25-28 lbs depending on how much $$ you spend.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Advertisement: