Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New bike....well used, would like advice please.  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Jasonator

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2003 Epic
New bike....well used, would like advice please.
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »
Hello, my name is Jason. i am new mtb, my 6y.o son races bmx and am pretty well versed in that world, i do all his work and maintenance on his mini, I am pretty mechanically adept, i have been reading posts and websites on mtb for about 3 weeks now, so i am an epert in everything mtb!          (thats a joke) i do need some advice/guidance on a serious note though....i purchased 2 bikes from a gentleman for what i found to be a great deal, i got my wife a 2007 Specialized FSR XC PRO (appearantly it was AJ's rentals, i did not know this, but in was in near mint condition) and a 2003 Epic with good upgrades. I got a host of misc. Stuff with the bikes as well. They happen to be a medium and large respectively, perfect sizes for thw both of us (wife and I) so onto the guts of the topic.....

The bike: 2003 Epic disc with brain. Stock CASSETTE:Shimano HG-50 LX, 11/34
CHAIN:Shimano HG-73
CRANKSET:Specialized Strongarm 7050, XT Spline
CHAINRINGS:44Ax32Sx22S, 7050 alloy 4mm thick outer ring, 4 bolt 104/64mm pattern, Steel chainring bolts
BOTTOM BRACKET:Shimano ES-30 Octalink spline, 68mm shell width, 113mm spindle length

Upgrades by previous owner: chris king head set, Dt swiss hubs, easton seat post, easton cf handlebars, tires,

Issues....I am getting chain suck in the granny gear up front, its not that I use that gear but the chain jumps from the middle chainring and then 'suck'

Question: what is the best course of action? Single gear, replace all 3 chainrings(i was told when replacing 1, all 3 should be done)

Statement/question i would like to change the whole driveline ie bb,crankset,chainrings,cassette chain etc. I have read and reviewed nice things about the shimano xt and the m770. I cannot find where it will tell me or not if the xt crankset comes with a bb. Is this a seperate item? And if so what bb do you recomend?

I know this post is long, if I still have your attention, help would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: New bike....well used, would like advice please.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:26:14 AM »
The XT crankset is in my opion the best bang for the buck, and should come with a BB unless it is scavanged by the seller. I would check the Front derailleurs clearance between the bottom of the cage and the top of the chainrings, set it as close as possible without interference. It may be that the rings are worn out, and require replacement.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
Scott's right on the XT bb, but SLX is mighty fine too.  They have come a long way in quality over the recent years.  The other thing is you should look for an outboard bb.  It will also help address chain suck issues.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08:50 AM »
Take the bike to AJ's and they will take good care of you.

Offline Jasonator

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:21:02 AM »
So when I order an XT crankset, and I specify the 68mm BB, and then just swap everything out? That sounds easy enough. Is it common for for them to 'scavenge' the BB? One thing I cannot locate is the type of BB I will need if I wanted to go the higher end ceramic style BB. Can anyone advise? I think I can figure out what kind of drive the XT is IE. Square, Octalink, Spline etc...

What I dont understand is why MTB dont place more value on thier BB's? In BMX my kids BB set me back almost 150$ for Titanium Blah Blah Blah...I am a  weight weenie when it comes to my kids bike. I think its down under 11 Lbs. now.

Next, and as soon as I leave here I am going to search, but can you tell me the difference, reason and advantage to an outboard BB? Thanks in advance guys.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
The XT will come with an outboard (external) BB, they are very functional for the price. The SLX is a great value, but you sacrifice some weight savings with it's heavier chain rings. I just purchased a SLX for my SS, same great hollow tech crank arms as the XT as well as the BB.

Offline Jasonator

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
Take the bike to AJ's and they will take good care of you.

I am selling my Jet ski and wifes BMX today and that is where I am going after the sale. They sounded knowedgable and your not the first to recommend them, I take referals to heart. Thanks.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:47:20 PM »
I hear there is some Swamp Club Dork named "Darwin" or something like that who works there and is very nice and knowledgable who can help with your dilema.   ;)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
If the existing chainrings are extremely worn you should replace the chain and the cassette as well since those are likely just as worn (unless you can confirm that isn't the case). 

+1 on the SLX crankset.  You can find them for well under the cost of the XT crankset.  As Scott stated the chainrings are a little heavier, but the SLX crankarms are actually a few grams less than the XT (plus they look better too).

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 03:20:44 PM »
So when I order an XT crankset, and I specify the 68mm BB, and then just swap everything out? That sounds easy enough. Is it common for for them to 'scavenge' the BB? One thing I cannot locate is the type of BB I will need if I wanted to go the higher end ceramic style BB. Can anyone advise? I think I can figure out what kind of drive the XT is IE. Square, Octalink, Spline etc...

What I dont understand is why MTB dont place more value on thier BB's? In BMX my kids BB set me back almost 150$ for Titanium Blah Blah Blah...I am a  weight weenie when it comes to my kids bike. I think its down under 11 Lbs. now.

Next, and as soon as I leave here I am going to search, but can you tell me the difference, reason and advantage to an outboard BB? Thanks in advance guys.

I am confused are you going for bling factor? Or reliability ? I am not a fan of shimano xt BB bearing got crunchy in a few months and then went from crunch to lumpy in a few more rides.  I have had a Raceface BB for well over a year with no issues and is still super smooth….there is always the king BB. 
Just because something is super lightweight doesn’t mean it’s necessarily going to make any bit of difference especially a bottom bracket, I would go for smooth.

But what do I know I don’t use gears.

Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Jasonator

• First Bike
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 04:05:38 PM »

I am confused are you going for bling factor? Or reliability ? I am not a fan of shimano xt BB bearing got crunchy in a few months and then went from crunch to lumpy in a few more rides.  I have had a Raceface BB for well over a year with no issues and is still super smooth….there is always the king BB. 
Just because something is super lightweight doesn’t mean it’s necessarily going to make any bit of difference especially a bottom bracket, I would go for smooth.

But what do I know I don’t use gears.
[/quote]

I am not going for Bling...could care less, I want little to no maintenance (wishful thinking, I know). I mention my kids BB, cuz weight in the bmx world is a very big factor, not so much reliability. The race lasts for 1 minute and then your done. That is not the case with Mtb. Your on the trail for hours sometimes, so reliability is exactly what I am after. I have a Shimano ES 30 now (stock), and it has been on the bike for 9 years. I am trying to find the best way to rebuild the entire drive line that will last me another 9 years, I dont mind spending a few dollars more for the right parts if that is what it takes. I have seen Cranksets for 49$. but I dont think those will last. I dont see value in overpriced parts, unless it is backed by proven results.

I am learning tons of stuff by leaps and bounds, things become clear as I read...talk to you guys, reflect what is said/wrote...etc. So again I tip my hat you all out there who have made the sacrifice with time and money to let others like me learn from your experience, and not make the same mistakes.

Offline Jasonator

• First Bike
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 08:28:28 AM »
Well guys, thank you for all your help. between the forums here and at mtbr I successfully went 1x9. I used a new crankset and BB by RaceFace (evolve and X factor BB) I purchased a new m770 rear free wheel and chain with quick links. And then to keep it all together I used a e.13 chain guide. Took me over an hour to get everything aligned properly(that was after install) but it works great so far. Bled my brakes with fresh fluid, and now I am ready for Sunday funday!

Advertisement: