Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Shortcuts?  (Read 1506 times)

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
Shortcuts?
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
While I'm aware of the general policy to "stay on the trails only", I've noticed alternate, un-marked trails that seem to be getting used by someone, enough to be a noticeable "trail".  I'm speaking about two different "trails" at Flatwoods, both of which head West toward the levee from the North-South section of Panther that borders the marsh area.  Both of these "trails" cross Trout Creek, one links up to Squiggy, right where the arrow sign is.  Are these off limits?  By the way, on Saturday, when I investigated the one that links to Squiggy, there was a BIG gator sitting about 2 feet from where the "trail" crosses the creek. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Shortcuts?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 08:15:24 PM »
The Gator alone, could be a good enough reason not to ride those trails. I am not exactly sure where you are talking about, but...There are various fire roads criss crossing the entire WTA system, the most obvious reason for them is well....access to get at fires. You may ride those.

There is an abandoned trail that runs along Trout Creek that was built some time ago with out authorization from the park. It is closed. I won't tell you exactly where it is but I think you might have found it. If there is not a name or a number or it is a fire road than don't ride it.

I think Kevan and Garry could shed some more light on this topic.

Gregg

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:30:12 PM »
Fireroads okay to ride but renegade trails are NOT.  It will only bring problems for swamp later.

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 09:51:47 AM »
Gregg,  the first is about half-way down the part of Panther that travels North-South along the beautiful marsh area.  It goes through grass and then reaches Trout Creek where an "intermediate" level drop and climb through the creek occur.  The second, from the arrow sign on Squiggy, has already been addressed by SWAMP, but from the amount of matted grass and considerable tire marks, I didn't know if this activity was frowned upon or tolerated.  I was just investigating what looked to be simply other routes.  The sign on Squiggy gave me a hint as to whether that route was approved or not.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 09:52:05 AM »
If there is not a name or a number or it is a fire road than don't ride it.

[qote]

I meant to say: You may ride any trail that has a name or a number. Any fire rode is ok, but if there is no name or number, it is considered an illegal trail. Riding those will cause problems for SWAMP, as Marcel said.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:56:55 AM »
There is some two track that surrounds the marsh (or pond depending on time of year) it generally runs towards the paved loop. This is a fire road. It is very bumpy and not too much fun, but the view is nice. You can ride on that if you choose.

Watch out for the gators though!

Gregg

Offline cole

• Land Manager
  • First Bike
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:38:35 PM »
Gregg said it best.  If it is not an obvious two track or a marked trail do not ride.
SWFWMD is concerned with too many crossing of the Creek.  The new panther trail was to get the riders off the two track not to exspand new trails.  Any questions give Ken or Wes a call.

Advertisement: