Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: First time at croom.  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
First time at croom.
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
Well last minute sat morning, decided to head for croom. Only one riding buddy was able to become come along. Did 16 miles on the first ride. Went yellow from station #3 headed north to the red connector then south down on the blue. Was supposed to hit the pits area but got lost and ended up on the red connector and my buddy ran out of water. Then soon when we were back on the yellow I ran out of water.

So when you guys ride are you all fast paced or just constant speed. Also how do you guys survive off of 2-3 liters I have no idea what I would have done if we actually made it to the pits and ran out of water. This is the first time I ran out of water I actually got nervous because my buddy ran out way before me. Are there any refill points that I dont know about? Or would I start out at #1 head north on blue to yellow and refill at #3 then make my way back to 1? Is blue mostly all the same. terrain. Or are there really hard parts to it, got a taste of some of that sand on some of those hills pretty tough. Hopefully ill make it out again It was also  pretty much dead out there. Very surprised to see it empty except for 3 other bikers and what looked to be a local who was this old lady with a hat, in jeans  and a old school cdale superV in red.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: First time at croom.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 09:41:42 PM »
Riding all of the Blue I use up 100 oz. Camelback and 2 water bottles.  Tucker Hill (#3) is the only place to get water unless you stash a cold gallon jug in the bushes just off Croom/Nobelton Rd. on your way to the trailhead.  Many 'o people have gotten lost at Croom.  Steady pace is good for long distance rides; especially in the summer heat at Croom.  North Blue has hard options as marked on the map.  There are also signs on the trail alerting you of hard/easy options. The sand you experienced on the hills are not likely too much of what Cromm has to dish out to you.  In the dry season Croom will turn your legs to noodles.  See it coming up?  Spin, spin, spin! Croom is a great trail system.  Croom will make you question what the hell you're doing there.  Learn sand and enjoy.  Oh yeah, bring lots of water and pre-hydrate as well.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »
Next time you go to Croom park at area #1 next to the paved trail. Head North on Blue and you will hit all the really fun sections. you can always bail out at the several bailouts and ride the road or paved trail back to the parking area if you get to hot of run out of water.

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »
Can the hard section of blue trails like lefty losrr be compared to any of the boyette/alafia trails?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:46 AM »
they are all doable, more like bridges and roller coaster type stuff... with a little of the abyss's
thrown in

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »
You can access the pits directly from park#1 if you just want to check them out. Ride North on the coochie paved trail about 2 miles, you will see a white marker on your right, look for a path on your left. Take that path across the 100 yard wide strip of woods to the limerock road and hang a right, ride about 1/4mile and keep your eyes open for a brown 8 mile (now actually the 10) bail out sign. Enter there and hang a right on the single track and enjoy the next 4 miles of the pits. You can then exit the 14 mile bail which is only another 1/2 mile by coochie trail due to blue wrapping back around thru the pits. The pits has something for everyone, with a couple of good challenges on options of mt. pisgah.

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:47 PM »
Breitest24 - Croom is one of the best trails for a good cardio workout anywhere. For sure. I'm thinking about it, and that's the only trail I miss right now from my office on the left coast.

It happens to everyone... getting lost. I got so incredibly lost the first time I went out there. I even got turned around in the last year or so there with the changes made from the "donation" of singletrack to the motorcycles.

All of your concerns will melt away in time. I'm not trying in imply anything about your fitness, but I think you'll find as you get stronger, the speed, water, and getting lost become a non-issue.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:29:13 PM »
What I learned in the Croom Forest in 1968.

"It's only when totally lost that you find yourself"

PS. Join Bob Wilcox and the SWAMP club work crews for the once a month work day and learn the trails and plenty of shortcuts too.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline kj

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Personal text?
  • My Bike: Vassago JabberWocky & Bandersnatch
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »
I've only been to Croom once so I can't give it a fair shake.  So this will be an unfair shake,  I was bored.   Bored bored bored.   I wrote it off as one of those spinner trails with nothing else to offer, just like I have with Wilderness.      I live near Alafia and Boyette so driving someplace needs to offer some entertainment else I dismiss it. 

But I don't like to be all negative sounding and this thread is looking encouraging!  If Croom has trails similar to roller coaster, bridges and the abysses then I didn't ride them and think maybe I should give Croom another try.  Thanks for the details.

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
I've only been to Croom once so I can't give it a fair shake.  So this will be an unfair shake,  I was bored.   Bored bored bored.   I wrote it off as one of those spinner trails with nothing else to offer, just like I have with Wilderness.      I live near Alafia and Boyette so driving someplace needs to offer some entertainment else I dismiss it. 

But I don't like to be all negative sounding and this thread is looking encouraging!  If Croom has trails similar to roller coaster, bridges and the abysses then I didn't ride them and think maybe I should give Croom another try.  Thanks for the details.

Careful... Mother Croom will not think kindly of your words.  I suggest you keep riding the tamer urban trails lest she decides to inflict vengeance!
 ;)

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
From what I read I expected a cardio workout, to know that there are parts like abyss and rollercoaster makes it better. Im still shocked that I ran out of water I never run out of water. spending 2-3 hours at boyette.  It is a far drive for me as im on big bend rd and 301. Its just something I wanted to do, Id like to go back again but its definitely more like a every 2 month thing. I do want to conquer at least a 20 mile plus ride. Instead of bringing just a camelbak Id bring my north face backpack and maybe 2 bladders, Carry fruits and bars. I must say though along with the map i dled. and the map my ride program it was easy to track where I went and how far I went. If any of you dont have the map my ride program I highly suggest it. Thanks for all the input and advise guys.

Advertisement: