Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Fools Gold Talk  (Read 1053 times)

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
Fools Gold Talk
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:32 PM »
Thought I would throw some thoughts about my FG race.  This was a great race, had some nice fun sections and some brutally hard sections (for me anyway)

I had a good time at the FG, but it was an adventure for me and I ended up taking over 9 hours for the 50  :o
I did the race with my brother who is not much of a mountain biker but is a pretty good road racer.  He started out strong for the first 25 miles and was attacking the first hill like a madman.  Then there was me, I started cramping about half way up the first climb and I was seriously worried that I was going to have major issues.  I decided to get of the bike and do some stretches to see if I could loosen up my groin.  I was feeling a little better, made the rest of the climb, and by the first bit of single track I was feeling good.

Once we got to sag 2 is where my adventure begins.  We were near the back of the pack but making up good time at this point.  We started the bull mountain run, turned off the fire road onto that first climb and things started to fall apart.  My bro totally bonked.  He nursed himself to the water crossing but was having a real hard time.  We started the fire road climb and he just could not go anymore, he was overheating and unable to ride.  So it was at this point I grabbed his bike and pushed both bikes up the climb.  That is pretty much how the rest of the bull mtn ride went for me, ride up a climb then walk down it and push his bike to the top.  I did this for at least 6 miles if not more.  We finally got to where the old truck was and he was felling a little better so he rode some of the smaller climbs that were left, but I still helped him on the bigger ones.  I'm a little fuzzy but somewhere near that point we reached the top where it turns into a single track downhill run.  I told him to ride down slow and I would meet him a sag 2/3, I wanted to have some fun after all that work LOL.  Now this is the best part, I am flying down that hill and I take a corner and there were about 6 deer all over the place.  I slam on my brakes and I see that there is one damn deer that is not moving, it is looking at me like WTF.  So I am skidding , going a little sideways and finally come to a stop and bonk, I hit the deer.  It was not really a hit, but more like a touch but my heart was exploding out of my head.  The dear took off like a scalded ape and I thought it was going to kick me in the head.  I gathered myself together and made it the rest of the way to the sag, had a great story to tell them and waited for my brother.  He arrived and they agreed to get him back to the winery so I took off.

The rest of my ride was pretty uneventful.  I was pretty tired from all my work I did in bull mountain but I managed.  The mud on some of the trails was pretty brutal from the rain storm and made for some pretty close calls.  My bike had so much mud it probably added 5 lbs.  So I finally get to the winery and I wanted to finish strong, so I tried to ride that final hill before the finish, but I made it about 1/4 of the way up and had to bail off and push.  Crossed the line to 1 cheering fan (my son) and celebrated the fact that I finally have that dnf monkey off my back.  (I dnf'd cohutta and oramm).

At least I beat my brother back  :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:48:15 PM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Fools Gold Talk
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 07:13:38 AM »
good job! sounds like a good time. 8)

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:40:56 AM »
This was a great event, traveled with K and P who were well behaved for the most part:0) The grounds at the Montaluce winery were very upscale, there are plans to build several Million $$$ homes there and luckily for the racers a remote pool/spa was there at the start/finish for our enjoyment. The mass start featured about 300 riders being motorpaced for about a mile by eddie O, then the fun began. The field began the climb to the top of the ridge, I think we climbed for close to 8 miles with no let up. About 15 miles in we hit the first water stop, after tasteing all sweet offerings I pointed the bike down hill, YES!!!!!!!!!! on a wicked (gnarly) FS road full of loose gravel, baby heads and severe erosion. I started the decent with a pack of powerbar cola chews and tried to nibble on them down this road, I think I got 3 in my mouth, the rest were flying everywhere. Next thing I know i pull into sag #2 and  say "WOW this is a pleast suprise", thinking I was probably 5 miles out yet, the sag staff all laughed. This is where the fun really began, after the long climb up the Bull mtn. DH was as advertised, HUGE bermed turns/wallzzzz, rollers, tabletops, EPIC. The rest of the ride was very similar, I went into this event never having ridden Bull or Jake mtn. and all I had heard was how primitive/rough the single track was, I rode away with a completely different take. The single track is awesome, very buff in several areas, with enough rock to remind you you are in the mtns. Prerace we found a pizza place in Helen Naqcoochie Pizza Awesome prerace meal.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 09:27:55 AM »
So far so good, we need more reports....

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:34:50 AM »
This was a great event, traveled with K and P who were well behaved for the most part:0) The grounds at the Montaluce winery were very upscale, there are plans to build several Million $$$ homes there and luckily for the racers a remote pool/spa was there at the start/finish for our enjoyment. The mass start featured about 300 riders being motorpaced for about a mile by eddie O, then the fun began. The field began the climb to the top of the ridge, I think we climbed for close to 8 miles with no let up. About 15 miles in we hit the first water stop, after tasteing all sweet offerings I pointed the bike down hill, YES!!!!!!!!!! on a wicked (gnarly) FS road full of loose gravel, baby heads and severe erosion. I started the decent with a pack of powerbar cola chews and tried to nibble on them down this road, I think I got 3 in my mouth, the rest were flying everywhere. Next thing I know i pull into sag #2 and  say "WOW this is a pleast suprise", thinking I was probably 5 miles out yet, the sag staff all laughed. This is where the fun really began, after the long climb up the Bull mtn. DH was as advertised, HUGE bermed turns/wallzzzz, rollers, tabletops, EPIC. The rest of the ride was very similar, I went into this event never having ridden Bull or Jake mtn. and all I had heard was how primitive/rough the single track was, I rode away with a completely different take. The single track is awesome, very buff in several areas, with enough rock to remind you you are in the mtns. Prerace we found a pizza place in Helen Naqcoochie Pizza Awesome prerace meal.
Pizza was actually postrace and is well worth a visit, Nacoochie pizza just outside of town to the East.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
Nice job Scott.  5:03 is a kick ass result.  I am almost double your time :)
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:48:14 PM »
i had a great time...
first lap was horrible for me, i went in a little dehydrated with not feeling that great. but i made the best of it...
fire road climbs were horrible, just wasn’t fun although the descents were a blast. 41.5mph full rigid.
started to feel better after the rain  and started on my second lap. i made the cut off at sag stop 1, but they talked me and another lady out of completing the rest of the race so i ended up with 70ish miles by the time i rode back to the start. 10 hours 7 min.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:59:29 PM by mellowme17 »
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
Re: Fools Gold TOUR
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:19:46 PM »
LOL,

My weekend was awesome.  Cant say enough about the event, the staff and the route.  Even the t shirt is kick ass.  I thought the dirty dano t shirt was the best swag shirt out, but the cotton on this fools gold tee feels sooooooooo good...LOL

Anyhow, Friday? Jack rabbit.  Wow, skatepark like groomed trails with a lil huff and puff.  Big wall ride banks and huge moguls to hop if your so inclined.

Friday afternoon, Unicoi with murf, peb and the gang, another fun time, just love riding in the mountains.

SAturday, I wanted to do what I called an Eco tour of the route.  So I took off at the back, but not before long, I was hammering all gonzo like.  Eventually round mile 21 my legs started cramping.  Cramps so bad it felt like the muscles were squeezing my thigh bones.  The cramps never stopped for the rest of the day.  I was still having as much fun as possible of course, just pedaling became a real problem at mile 35.  All I could do was kinda walk cause my knee muscles were locked up, and then descend, but careful on the descents, missing clipping in was a symphony of cramps.

At mile 42, with such *ty forward progress on my outlook I disqualified myself for pitiful forward progress and hitched a ride.  I still saw all but 3 miles of the course and I still had the best time ever.

Long fire road, rocky gnar, sick bermed single track, huge jumps and wall rides, what else can you ask for!

I will be back next year to remove my DNF, LOL, plus I loved every minute of it, finished the weekend with a total of 70 mountain miles!

Thanks Scott and Pariah, and murf and peb and their friend yall are the coolest.

AND YES, best pizza ever was at that place saturday night, I wanna move to Helen just for that...

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:41 AM »
Great job, guys. This one is on my list for sure. 8 hours of Labor is next though......
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 07:00:42 PM »
My preride food situation wasn't good.  I forgot my prepared meal at home and was forced to find something in town.  Making matters worse my morning meal for the day of was lacking a few components and I just couldn't stomach the entire meal.  I thought for sure this was going to be bad since I am such a creature of habit when it comes to diet.  Thankfully it all seemed to work out.  The beer and pizza I consumed the night before the race gave me enough "quality" calories for the following day.

On race day I started out mid pack.  Scott on Scott passed me singing a catchy rap tune and I quickly fell to the back on the 3 mile start.  I pretty much expected that given the 32x20 gearing and my plan to take it easy.  Then the gravel climb started.....the longest climb ever (for me).  I settled into a pretty comfortable tempo and stuck with it.  I caught up to Karlos, then he caught up to me, then I caught up to him, etc.  Near maybe mile 7 or 8 of the climb I decided to get off to hike-a-bike for a few minutes since I felt near the edge of blowing up.  I rolled up to SAG 1, consumed half a pack of Power Bar gels, mixed up a bottle of Sustained Energy, and headed forward.

The real fun started after SAG 1.  This was the decent Eddie stated was incredibly dangerous.  I took off down the hill with a little caution to find it wasn't as bad as he stated.  So from that point forward I proceeded with little regard for my own personal safety and bombed it as fast as possible.  The rigid fork gave me quite a beating on that rutted gravel/rock road and I stopped for a brief moment shortly after the end just to give my hands/arms a bit of a break.

The single track after that was glorious.  Well groomed, fast, etc.  Also saw the remains of a few fail straps (tubes and CO2s all over the trail...lol).  Towards the end of that I started cramping and in the middle of a climb I was fully locked.  Cramps are nothing new and I can usually just spin through them but I wasn't having any luck with that technique.  Karlos came upon me sitting on the side of the trail.  He encouraged me to keep walking through the cramps.  So I did...and I did that a few more times during the race. 

I hit SAG 2 with Karlos.  Downed a Coke, some gummy bears, Oreos, water, and remixed another bottle of SE before heading forward.  The first half of Bull Mountain was another long gravel uphill grind.  The singletrack that followed was a blast.  I started cramping again and walked some of the steeper climbs.  Met up with some really nice folks and rode/walked with them through Bull.  The last long downhill was a blast...twisty, groomed, banked turns, a couple jumps, etc. 

We roll into SAG 3.  The top two in the 100 mile race were rolling through for their second time.  I hung out, drank half a coke, mixed another bottle of SE, then headed down the trails solo.  About 20 minutes in it started pouring and continued to pour for almost the entire time through that singletrack (forget the name...maybe Jackrabbit?).  The downhill sections were thoroughly saturated.  The abraisive GA clay/mud did a job on my brake pads and I was forced to stop a few times to readjust my BB7s. 

I hit SAG 4.  Down half a can of root beer, some gatorade, water, decide to ditch the SE in favor of Gatorade and head out for the last stretch.  Pretty much just gravel road.  Uphill grinds followed by some fast downhill.  Coming down one of the sections there are two cars coming up from the other direction.  I am all the way on the right side about 2 ft from dropping off the side of the road/cliff.  First car moves over to give me more room.  The second car/truck moves closer to me and I just about hit his mirror (*).  The gravel road ends and turns to the same paved road we started on.  I was cooked and walked one of the steeper paved climbs.  Cut into Monteluce and tried to climb that last steep climb and couldn't cut it.  As I get off to walk the climb the first place singlespeed 100 participant passes me.  He asks me if I was in the 100...I laughed.  I watched him climb the hill and continue on. 

I finally passed the finish line at 7hrs 53mins.  Not spectacular but I finished under my own power.  Being my first trip to the mountains I learned a TON about what I need to work on for next time.  Yes...there will be a next time (next year). 

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
Great Job Alan you did good brother, glad I was able to help in any kind of way!

Yes, indeed there was a lot of NEW parts litter like I have never seen before all over the trail I guess the myth of the fail straps is long and strong.

And the rain sure did make for some sideways navigation on some of those switchbacks, I will be back there next year as well, hopefully I will take it a lil more serious!

Advertisement: