Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hog damage reports for Balm-Boyette  (Read 546 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Hog damage reports for Balm-Boyette
« on: September 28, 2011, 08:30:36 PM »
Hello all,

Please take the time to post a report after your rides at Boyette on hog damage found on the trails.  I want to collect these weekly and make a report to the land manager about how extensive the damage has become. 

Posting details like which trail and also which section of that trail come in handy - especially if we can get them to go out and actually look at how bad it is.  The hog damage at Boyette is the worst it has ever been, and if we don't make some noise we might as well just find a way to enjoy it and live with the ruts.  Keep it matter of fact, to the point, and printable.  ;-)

Help me get the message across that something needs to be now.

Thanks for your assistance.

Garry

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
Re: Hog damage reports for Balm-Boyette
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:03:58 AM »
Baby Nessie
 Is pretty terrible  from the first drop in all the way to the switch back its pretty rutted…. The little step going to down  between the 2 trees is extremely soft..
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline aaron1017

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • AAROWN
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:33:18 AM »
I'll take note next time I am out there. Would pictures be useful?

Offline yarik83

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5.5 WSD converted to guy bike
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 04:09:26 PM »
Garry I wholeheartedly agree that hog damage has gone out of control.

Loch Ness:
There is light damage starting where 2 trees are that you have to squeeze through (first part of trail) and a little after it.

Lower Spider Berm:
light damage about 1/3 way into trail after flamingo

Upper Spider Berm:
some damage about halfway into trail. It is getting to the point where quite a few places are harder to ride through. Also one of reinforced areas with boards have slid down. I caught it out of corner of my eye and it looks like there was a land slide there.

Gator Pit:
No substantial hog damage but those sandpits are getting long and deep.

Golf Cart:
In my opinion this one is probably most damaged trail from all non black diamond trails in the park. There is substantial damage to trail on first 1/3. There is also damage to trail towards the exit. Right after you hit roots and all the way to end of trail. It is getting soft and slippy there.

Sidewinder:
some damage first 1/3 of the trail.

West Meadow Lower:
First 1/3 trail is pretty beat up
About halfway into trail but before bridge it is pretty rough too.
Last bit of trail after roots and after baby nessie might need some work unrelated to hogs. When you descend into pit and then come up... the root step has gotten quite high.

South East Trail:
East most extension of the trail (starting where you make a choice to cut to red shirt or keep going) has been dug up for quite some time. At least a year that I know of but I do not see that many people riding there.
Ride within my safety limits

Advertisement: