Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Snakes  (Read 6896 times)

Offline jazon

• First Bike
Snakes
« on: April 27, 2007, 03:56:26 PM »
I'm curious how likely the chances of getting bitten by a snake while riding are.  It is really something I can't get over and it's occupies my mind about 60% of the time I'm riding, especially in flat, palmetto type areas. I've ran over two black snakes before a few years ago, even though they're harmless it scared the crap out of me, haha. Has anyone ever heard a report of someone being bitten while riding? I was just wondering how likely a bite to the foot would be, I know I'm paranoid, I just want to get over this fear and have some fun.

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: Snakes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 04:48:56 PM »
Basically anything can happen as long as you watch what you are doing around you. Make sure you have a plan on where you are going. When I first rode Alafia I had to stop and take a rest but right there it was a mid size black bear 40 feet from me then I had to not take a rest and keep going. At Carter Park same thing but a gator about 5 feet right next to me. Then 2 week ago at Alafia, pigs where on the trail eating. You just going to look ahead and know where you are going.
I know alot will chime in and tell you need to a partner to ride and not ride alone. Myself is still looking for that partner to ride with. ::) ;D

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 06:02:13 PM »
When I first rode Alafia I had to stop and take a rest but right there it was a mid size black bear 40 feet from me then I had to not take a rest and keep going.

A bear?!  Not a Yeti, or Sasquatch, or Skunk Ape?  But a bear?  You sure it was a bear?  Bears don't like mountain bike trails.  They loath mountain bike trails.  Unless of course there are snakes on the mountain bike trails. Then they all show up at once with a jug of shine and do the snake dance.

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
When I first rode Alafia I had to stop and take a rest but right there it was a mid size black bear 40 feet from me then I had to not take a rest and keep going.

A bear?!  Not a Yeti, or Sasquatch, or Skunk Ape?  But a bear?  You sure it was a bear?  Bears don't like mountain bike trails.  They loath mountain bike trails.  Unless of course there are snakes on the mountain bike trails. Then they all show up at once with a jug of shine and do the snake dance.
Yeah Garry it was a black bear. I know one when I see it. The bear wasnt a full size one, it was more mid size. It was on the north creek section, on the other side of the bench cut section. That was a month and half ago.

Offline Kevan

• Assistant Wheel Spinner
  • Forum Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Cannondale Scalpel 29er
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 08:45:02 PM »
When I first started riding Flatwoods I ran by or over several snakes before I even knew what they were.  I thought I was coming up on another root and it was too late to avoid them when I realized what they were.  I felt bad for the one I know my tire went over.  Once I saw a coiled snake on Hog Wild, near 3 corners, and I was going too fast to change course and nothing happened. That was the closest I have heard of anyone having an issue.

Mostly the snakes stay away from the trails during the time of day we ride. Plus if you are going more than 8 miles an hour (moderately slow) you should not have any problems at all. When you stop make sure you make plenty of noise to shoo anything away.
SWAMP Webmaster.  Have a question about SWAMP or the website?  Please contact me.

Offline jazon

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 08:55:18 PM »
yea, thanks for the info, I know it's a matter of time until I come across a poisonous one, but it won't keep me from trail riding... I was just wondering if people actually have got bitten. As far as black bears, I would actually love to see one, maybe not a giant but I've seen a few florida bears up near ocala just hiking and it was pretty cool, gators would make me a little uneasy. And I haven't seen a hog here yet, but at flatwoods I've seen a lot dug up earth and figured there's some in there.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 09:16:54 PM »
You should report that bear to the Florida fish and wildlife commission.  They would be very interested in that  siting as it would mean the small FL bear population has migrated out of its core areas of Eglin, Apalachicola, Osceola, Ocala, St. Johns, and Big Cypress.  In addition if could pose problems to the campers in the area when/if it wanders into the campground looking for food.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 10:38:45 PM »
I'm not questioning the bear run in, but it reminds me of when I worked for the Division of Forestry and I was working on some fire lines. This couple approached my crew in a panic. They informed us that they had just hit a Bear with their car. So of course we had to see that in person. We rolled up to the scene to find the biggest hog I'd ever seen.

But I hope I'm lucky enough to one day spot a real bear as well.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 10:46:28 PM »
It wasn't a bear.

It was me hiding in the woods peeing!

I really need to do some trimming!!!!!

Gregg

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 12:33:47 AM »
You should report that bear to the Florida fish and wildlife commission.  They would be very interested in that  siting as it would mean the small FL bear population has migrated out of its core areas of Eglin, Apalachicola, Osceola, Ocala, St. Johns, and Big Cypress.  In addition if could pose problems to the campers in the area when/if it wanders into the campground looking for food.
Well I never thought of doing that since it being at a state park, meaning it being preserve there. But if I come around again, I'll address it to the ranger about it.

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 01:24:35 PM »
Last year I had an armadillo run face first into my rear spokes.  Didn't cause me any harm but the brrrinnng sound that happened made me think that he's not sniffin the way he used to.  Never seen any poisonous snakes, but lots of black racers.  Had one go right through my wheels on the new Panther re-route last week while I was stopped.  By the way, on a hardtail, that re-route may be the toughest trail at Wilderness parks.  Long and seriously bumpy for us hardtailers!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2007, 10:19:38 PM »
Long live the hard tailers!!!!!

You are right that Panther trail has a few bumps!!!!

Once I was tooling along in the mid 30's at Flatwoods. I was pedaling backwards to postition my pedals for something ( i dont really remember what) and I ended up kicking and armadillo. I didn't even see it, but my buddy who was riding behind me said it flew about 20 feet.

Offline cole

• Land Manager
  • First Bike
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Snakes are not as much a threat as many other things you do in and out of the wilderness.
The first defence for a snake is it's coloration.  They do not want to be seen.  Their actions are always a defensive one.  There are only four types of venomous snakes in Central Florida.  Snakes do not have an outer ear so their hearing is mostly basic vibrations.
Anyone overly concerned about snakes usually needs to focus on their fear not snakes.
A bear that far south is very unusual.  I can understand thinking you see one thing and it turns out to something else.  I thought I saw a cow at Flatwoods and when I went back it changed into a hog.

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2007, 11:08:55 AM »
No one has actualy replied as to having to do it, but, if you are closing fast on a snake, the options would be: 1) run it over and hope for the best; 2) run it over and lift your feet, and hope for the best; 3) bunny hop it, and hope for the best; 4) turn around; 5) try to move it off the trail with a stick or something (not the best option).  Someone posted recently about moving a cottonmouth off the trail with a stick.  I guess a big enough stick would be OK, but...

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:26:40 PM »
Yea don't do what Marc tried to do with a copperhead at boyette....  Tried to pick it up with his hand to get a closeup picture of it.  He seemed to know what he was doing so we just hoped he would get bitten.  It ran away so fast that he bearly got a snap shot with his cell phone.

Advertisement: