Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Riding Boyette  (Read 2895 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Riding Boyette
« on: May 02, 2007, 09:28:48 AM »
Myself and the idster rode the quaudrants yesterday and that was the most slippery ride I have ever been on! It was like riding on ice! If you want an edgy thrill go hit it, 8) that trail will give you practice drifting fo sho.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Riding Boyette
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 09:53:09 AM »
was it sand or leaves?   I sure hope it was not palmetto clips left on the trail from the weekend work day we had there.  If it is, don't blame it on me.  I worked on the road into the gator pit, Golf Cart, Spider Berm, and Randy's trial.  Those were clear of face slapers real good.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 12:15:40 PM »
No, not palm frons. It was all of the oak leaves. Man did we have to keep our speed way down. :o

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 01:01:23 PM »
Myself and the idster rode the quaudrants yesterday and that was the most slippery ride I have ever been on! It was like riding on ice! If you want an edgy thrill go hit it, 8) that trail will give you practice drifting fo sho.
I was there last week in SE/SW where I crashed because of Florida's "icy" condition :-[.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 01:40:24 PM »
Is more then just at Boyette.  I haven't been to Alafia but in Flatwoods you can also find the "icy" conditions.  Be careful out there and put on the "gripier" tires you may have even if you have to give a little on rolloing resistance.  Just ask Kevan about the "icy" conditions.  He had a nasty fall yesterday and major elbow and hip rash.  Take care of thos scrapes Kevan and hopefully they won't hold you back from your trip up north this weekend.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 07:40:33 PM »
It's the same way at Carter Rd and Santos when I rode there last weekend. I didn't go down, but leading a group around I found myself in many 2 wheel drifts, and luckily had room to go off the trail a bit a few times to save it. I'm not sure what is worse, oak leaves or pine needles. ???
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »
Yeah those "icy" conditions caused my to be covered in pine needles and dirt last night!

Had to fess up to my Physical Therapist when he saw the new scratch on my leg right next to the scar from the surgery.

I explained that it is part of riding the way we ride! He looked at me like I was crazy.

I don't think it is crazy do you?

Bunny

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 09:58:31 PM »
Not at all bunny, you should check out the Article in last months MB Action entitled the "road to recovery".  The artice shows how cycling is one of the best ways to recover from knee injuries and surgury (ACL/PCL or meniscal reconstruction) In As little as 2 weeks after surgury some of the foremost Physical therepists have people on stationary, then progress to road, and eventually back to mountain bikes.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »
Yup,

Not only did I read it, I showed it to my PT. He agreed about the pedaling motion, but because of the complicated nature of the surgery and the nerve trauma, he kept me from riding outside.

The only thing that he has asked me to do is to take my riding a step at a time. In other words, I started riding on the road, then progressed to slowly riding the flat trails, and slowly increasing my speed as the muscles got (are getting) stronger. I clipped back in this Monday for the first time, and maybe will consider riding Boyette pretty soon (THREAD TOPIC :)). I noticed right away the muscle that controls my ability to pull my foot up, which is the muscle that was not firing until about for weeks ago, was getting a great work out.

My Alafia debut will be on the 20th of May, with the club. I will not be riding Rabbit Ears although I plan to bring a sharpie to sign my own personal rock. Perhaps I will ride Boyette before then (THREAD TOPIC :))

At any rate I am thrilled to be riding and getting filthy again. My wife made me change in the garage last night, so I must be doing something right!!! ;D

To all of you guys that have bee riding with the club over the last few months, if you are going to be at this Sunday's ride at Trout Creek, please introduce yourself. I am looking forward to meeting you all!

Gregg (bunny)

P.S. Has anyone heard from Ken? Did he disappear?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »
so what is a good tire combination for these "icey" conditions?

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 08:38:23 PM »
None, it cannot be conquered!

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »
I talked to my PT about the same article he just kinda looked at me with a confused look on his face. ??? I had Meniscal and ACL reconstruction back in Feb, and my legs are stronger than ever thanks to riding. Of course my PT always asks me about all the new bruises. I tell him about the icey conditions at boyette, again confusion on his face. It's Great!! 

Anyway, the past few days of riding boyette, have been great! SST is almost all powder in the corners and a few other select patches. Golf Cart is nice, beware the bench cuts and track that runs parallel to the doubletrack. Gator pit is powder at the bottom of the first drop closest to golfcart.  East meadow is Great!! and the Palmetto Cable is a little icey.  I will be out there tomorrow (the 4th of May) around 2 if anyone wishes to join me.  I am bringing a few new riders with me to get them into the sport.

Check out the Blog:

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 09:56:43 PM »
just rode flatwoods tonight and it was like riding on the beach....we need rain

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »
I was unable to ride Boyette tonight primarily due to time and distance from the house tonight. I did however ride Flatwoods for a total of about 18 miles.

Those "icy conditions" are everywhere. I have a new "scuff" on my right knee to explain. I had to explain that mountain biking can be a full impact sport to my PT today.

Maybe we should have my PT and your PT get together!!! They could compare notes.

Glad to here your recovery is going well!

Gregg

Offline benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
    • MY Space
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »
I will be out there as well this weekend bunny, for the intro class.  I figure there is always something I can learn.  Anyway I will look for you we can compare scars. What should I look for??

Check out the Blog:

Advertisement: