Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Tuning brakes?  (Read 614 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Tuning brakes?
« on: November 30, 2011, 05:34:19 PM »
I had BB5's on my bike when I bought it and they were very noisy and I never felt they had enough bite for me so I upgraded to BB7's about 3 years ago. I was riding 40-100 miles a week at LHP back then and I couldn't be happier with my choice. They have never failed me and have needed nothing thus far.

That being said I repurposed the BB5's on my neighbors bike. It took me a while but it turned out the cleansweep rotors that came with them were what was making the noise, after replacing them and the pads everything seemed to work great. My wife's bike came with tektro brakes that are almost the same as the BB5's and have similar small pads. I'm having an issue with both bikes from time to time. After riding the other day they both said there rear brakes weren't doing much and there front brakes felt a little soft. This happened several times a while back when we were riding often.

My solution was to take the pads out, wash them with acetone, sand them flat with 220 until they looked brand new, rinse them again with acetone and let them dry. I also buffed the rotors with emery cloth and cleaned them, then wearing gloves I reassembled everything. They would work like new then for a month or 3 then they would start to fade again. When I would take the pads off they looked dark and glazed. Can anyone tell me why this keeps happening? And why it doesn't happen to my BB7's?

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
Re: Tuning brakes?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
what kinda pads are they?
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
They are all stock, I believe semi metallic for all 3 of them.

Offline Moto Ace

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
    • Yup.... since 1999
  • My Bike: Matt Chester Mutinyman
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »
You need new pads. Cleaning and scuffing them is only a temporary solution.

Ted

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 09:54:46 AM »
Already replaced the BB5 pads, same thing happened again. I understand cleaning them is a temp solution normally, but I'm soaking in acetone and then grinding off all the contaminated material, not just scuffing and washing them off. Buying new pads for 2 bikes at $45 a set every 2-3 months isn't a reasonable option to me.

Could it be the lube I use? I've been using rock and roll for a while now. If it is then I still don't understand why it doesn't happen to my bike with the BB7's?

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 02:26:48 PM »
Keep the lube far away from the brakes and use fine grit every one in a while on the rotors to deglaze them. You can try different pads or take it in to the LBS and talk to a mechanic. Internet forum diagnosis doesn't always work.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
Internet forum diagnosis FTW

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 06:13:42 PM »
I have found over the years that internet forums are the best source for information and problem solving. If I can learn to rebuild a motor, and build a boat on the net them I'm sure someone here will have a solution to this small issue.

The LBS's solution when this first started to happen was to buy new pads when they stopped working well. Ok so they wanted $30 a set, 2 sets per bike and 2 bikes. So that would be $120 every 2-3 months :o . Thankfully one of their mechanics took me aside and told me how to clean them like I do now, but he told me to use alcohol I just found it wasn't strong enough. I still buy my stuff locally, but I do most of my own wrenching now, I just feel more comfortable that way and it saves me having to make trips everytime I need an adjustment.

Advertisement: