Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: SRAM vs. XTR  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
SRAM vs. XTR
« on: May 04, 2007, 02:06:30 PM »
So I'm looking to upgrade shifters, rear deraillure and possiblely front as well.  Current set up is all XT Deore.  I was wondering what the opions on the SRAM X.0 vs. the Shimano XTR sets are for these upgrades and the preferences that casue you to prefer one over the other.  I like SRAM chains and just put a new SRAM 990 cassette on the back.

Thanks in advance for your info and help!
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: SRAM vs. XTR
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 02:48:18 PM »
Dont leave these factors out...

Which one is more important to you... save money or save in weight on your bike?  Also, are you going to ride races, XC?  Are you a clyde ride (somewhat larger then normal)....

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
So I'm looking to upgrade shifters, rear deraillure and possiblely front as well.  Current set up is all XT Deore.  I was wondering what the opions on the SRAM X.0 vs. the Shimano XTR sets are for these upgrades and the preferences that casue you to prefer one over the other.  I like SRAM chains and just put a new SRAM 990 cassette on the back.

Thanks in advance for your info and help!

If you like the SRAM chain and already went SRAM cassette go XO - i like the SRAM shifters better than the XTR shifters and you alreayd are heading that direction anyway. 

if you are not a weight weenie(i can say that because i am a weight weenie) then go x9..shifts the same gain a little weight but gain more strength.

also consider the price to replace bent chain rings and derailer cages etc.  you will fall and when you do the lighter parts will break. 

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 03:29:09 PM »
Not to big on a few extra grams.  I would like to get into "light" racing, but I've really only been the sport since January this year so I am a wee bit ignorant on the ins and outs of it all.  As for my size - 5'11" and average around 195 lbs.  Money isn't too much a concern in the long run because I believe you get what you pay for, and as I understand it from doing some reasearch the SRAM rear deraillure has replacable components see if the long cage breaks or bends I can just replace that piece of the puzzle.  I certainly want something that is on the durable side (yes we all fall, and some of us more then others 8) ). 

I tested out a friends ride, same bike that I have cept he runs the X.0 with grip shifters and liked that.  I just don't want to limit my options with getting some informed opinions from those who have been doing this much longer than I.

To try and be helpful here's a link to the specs on my steed currently:
http://marinbikes.com/bicycles_2006/graphics/pdfs/bike_specs/marin_specs_quad_xc.pdf

note: mine is the Mt Vision, not the Mt. Vision Pro.

'ppreciate the feedback so far.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 03:30:07 PM »
Not to big on a few extra grams

should be not to big a deal on....

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 03:46:42 PM »
I have SRAM setup on my bike and I love them!!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 04:07:19 PM »
I have been through at least four xtr,s and now I am riding the Sram X9 and it shifts smoothly and helps my cables last sooo much longer. The design of the sram has A direct pull which is what i think makes it shift so well. I would also recommend staying away from the grip shift. the rapid fire seems to offer so much more control in tight quick reaction situations. those are my .02 cents

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 06:12:18 PM »
It is not far off from Coke vs. Pepsi. Both are excellent products. The X0 and the XTR are fairly equal. The X9 and XT are pretty much on the same level. So switching to X9 probably won't make much difference. I have a Sram 990 cassette too, it looks really cool! My chain is XTR/ultegra, my derauilers are XTR.

For me the deciding factor is the if I want to shift only with my thumbs or a thumb and my index finger. I prefer the latter. You really can't go wrong with either.

I too have heard that the XTR can be damaged in a fall, but I have yet to experience that.

As a Clyde, I would have to say that my weight has never affected my shifting. It sure has affected other things.

If I may, I think Marcel's point is that you should think about your riding style, and that will help you make your decision.

My 3 cents.

Gregg

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 07:58:29 PM »
I've had both, and I prefer the shimano shifters. I like being able to upshift with my index finger, and on the new shimano stuff you can upshift with your thumb from underneath, or your index finger over the top. As for shift quality I couldn't tell a big difference between the 2, other than maybe the XO stuff downshifts just a little easier. I never tried a SRAM cassette on advice from a few of my friends that are also larger guys, they were folding the gears over. Maybe the newer SRAM cassettes don't have this problem though. XTR rear derauillers have proven pretty tough for me. A good example is this past weekend I rode at Santos, and fell over on some rocks on the Vortex trail. I didn't realize it at the time, but I broke a spoke, and twisted the cage on the derauiller. Finished off the ride, probably another 11-12 miles after the incident, and finally found the problem during the week. Put it in a vice and used some pliers and a screwdriver to pry it back straight. Good (almost) as new! My XO derauiller was pretty tough as well, but it looked pretty crappy after a couple of crashes as the carbon got goobered up pretty easy.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »
My Rush has a SRAM cassette and chain, but all XT derailers, shifters, and brakes. I have the XT Dual-Control shifter setup, where the brake levers can be pushed up and down to shift the derailers. It makes for a VERY clean set-up, and is lighter-weight as well. I find the Push-up-to-Shift-up and Push-Down-to-Shift-down very intuitive and user-friendly. I HIGHLY recomend test-riding a bike with this system. I thought I was going to hate it and have trouble braking without shifting and shifting without braking, but those problems never arise and I actually love this setup. I plan to convert my F600 to the same system when I get the extra $$$.

I'm not going to bother "stepping up" to XTR components. I don't think they save enough weight to be worth the extra cost, especially when you factor in the loss of durability. Eventually I want to replace my rims, seat-post, and handle-bar. The weight savings from that should put my bike into the low 25# range (it's mid 27#s now).
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:51:14 PM »
Thank you VERY much everyone.  There is great info here, as I have come to expect from the forum.  Great help.  I'm looking X.O rear with X9 shifters... 

I'm also looking at new rims, handle bars and so on...

Once again,
much appreciated all!

Advertisement: