Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Stumped On These Top Tube Cable Stays...  (Read 957 times)

Offline dirtsquib

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro
Stumped On These Top Tube Cable Stays...
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:38:29 PM »

Have you guys ever encountered this? This is the first frame I've had where the cable stays are completely "through", and don't have a downstep plate on one end allowing just the inner brake cable to pass through, while butting off the housing and keeping it in place.

Based on the pics, would this be something where I'd run an entire length of housing along the top tube and cinch it down with zip ties? Or will these guys actually keep the cables in place once the ferrules are installed? There are only two of these on the top tube. The last thing I want is to be out on the trails and have something going completely awry with the rear disc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: Stumped On These Top Tube Cable Stays...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 11:57:35 AM »

Have you guys ever encountered this? This is the first frame I've had where the cable stays are completely "through", and don't have a downstep plate on one end allowing just the inner brake cable to pass through, while butting off the housing and keeping it in place.

Based on the pics, would this be something where I'd run an entire length of housing along the top tube and cinch it down with zip ties? Or will these guys actually keep the cables in place once the ferrules are installed? There are only two of these on the top tube. The last thing I want is to be out on the trails and have something going completely awry with the rear disc.

You need the Cable Stoppers for this frame. They should of been included with your purchase. If the original Owner doesnt have them for you, let me know because i have a set from a Stumpy i used to own.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 12:15:20 PM »

You need the Cable Stoppers for this frame. They should of been included with your purchase. If the original Owner doesnt have them for you, let me know because i have a set from a Stumpy i used to own.

BTW, this is what they look like, they must have a flat spot on once side or else they wont fit:

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 08:56:25 AM »
who needs back brakes anyway?
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline dirtsquib

• First Bike
  • My Bike: 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »
Mellowme, Back brakes are for suckers! Hahaa.  ;D

ProEdge, thank you for the heads up. I never would've thought to look in that direction. I bought the frame as new old stock off of e-bay, and the stoppers were unfortunately not included.

If you're willing to let those go, please let me know and I can PM you to set up Paypal. Or if you're up for a parts trade, I have lots of random stuff kicking around (new and old). Thanks again, as I've been racking my brain all weekend to get this figured out.

Advertisement: