Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: bike upgrades  (Read 12021 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
bike upgrades
« on: May 07, 2007, 12:06:25 PM »
I am trying to make my bike as nice as i can.  What upgrades do you think would be the next logical step?

here is what i have so far:

bike: 07 santa cruz blur LT
shock: fox float dhx 5.0
fork: fox float 32 rlc
headset: chris king
stem: thompson
handlebars: easton monkey light carbon bars
seat post: thompson
bottom bracket: truvativ gxp
cranks: truvativ stylo carbon
pedals: time attak carbon
shifters: xt
derailers: xt
rear cassette: xtr
chain: xtr
wheels: mavic crosstrail
tires: maxxis ignitor w/stans notubes kit
grips: ergon
brakes: juicey carbon

i am thinking maybe getting a fox rp23 rear shock that has been upgraded from push industries (saves 1/2 pound over current shock)

also i have a set of mavic crossmax slrs ordered

has anybody had any luck or experience with hope indistries bar end protectors or seat clamps?

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Re: bike upgrades
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:12:21 PM »
salsa seatpost clamp.. cant go wrong..

looks like you have a good setup otherwise..

the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 12:15:36 PM »
thanks

thos salsa 29ers look pretty interesting.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 02:33:24 PM »
Yeah,

Your bike looks like a great set up!

I understand your plight, I like to be constantly upgrading, though there does come a point of diminishing returns.

With that said I have had deore, xt and xtr rear derailuers.  You would really have a functional difference if you went to XTR in the back. That is not to say that XT doesn't work well, because it does, but really didn't expect such a big difference with the XTR.

Otherwise, start saving for the next bike. :)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 03:48:13 PM »
Yeah,

Your bike looks like a great set up!

I understand your plight, I like to be constantly upgrading, though there does come a point of diminishing returns.

With that said I have had deore, xt and xtr rear derailuers.  You would really have a functional difference if you went to XTR in the back. That is not to say that XT doesn't work well, because it does, but really didn't expect such a big difference with the XTR.

Otherwise, start saving for the next bike. :)

HAHA yea

seems like once you get it pretty nice...you spend a LOT of money for minimal noticable differences

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 08:37:30 PM »
Why are you getting SLR's? It seems that you have a bike for doing more than just light trail riding. The SLR's won't hold up to very much abuse if you start jumping much. A friend bent his front wheel in a washout a few weeks ago. Plus you still have that crappy Mavic freehub to deal with.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:46:51 PM »
Why are you getting SLR's? It seems that you have a bike for doing more than just light trail riding. The SLR's won't hold up to very much abuse if you start jumping much. A friend bent his front wheel in a washout a few weeks ago. Plus you still have that crappy Mavic freehub to deal with.

what are a good set of wheels that are as light as those but are stronger?  also i am new to all this...what are the problems with mavic hubs?

« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:49:10 PM by FACTORe »

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 09:22:42 PM »
The SLRs look really good though! I was under the impression that they were pretty strong too.

Factoree, how aggressive a rider do you think that you are going to be?

Slowfatguy, what kind of wheels do you ride?

I ride Brontrager Earls. They were a terrific upgrade from the wheels that came on my bike. They are definitely "all mountain", very strong, and the sealed bearing hubs are manufactured for Bontrager by DT Swiss. They weren't very expensive (around 500 after swamp discount for the set), and the bling factor is sorta on the low side, but with around 3000 miles on them since I got them. They have not bent, popped a spoke, folded or even made a weird sound. They weigh 2200 grams for the set. I realized when I bought them that they were not the lightest, but hell, neither am I!

I have taken them apart once and replace the freehub body under warranty, otherwise I have been very happy with them.

I am sure that the next time around I will give in and buy some bling.

Gregg

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »

what are a good set of wheels that are as light as those but are stronger?  also i am new to all this...what are the problems with mavic hubs?

You won't get many wheels that are both lighter AND stronger. The problem with the Mavic freehub is that they require constant maintenance, and aren't very durable for the stronger/powerful riders. I've broken 3 of them before I switched, in less than 1 year. I built the wheels on my current bikes, 819 rims, Sapim spokes, and CK hubs. And I beat the snot out of them.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 09:31:20 PM »
Those Chris King hubs, look cool, sound cool, That is the kind of bling that makes sense to me!
What makes the 819's different than those on the slr wheels set?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 09:55:19 PM »
Those Chris King hubs, look cool, sound cool, That is the kind of bling that makes sense to me!
What makes the 819's different than those on the slr wheels set?

819's are supposed to be a XM, or cross-mountain designation, where the SLR's are a race wheel. 819's are also wider. Plus I love true UST setup's. I've experimented with Stan's and it just didn't work for me, and to this day I believe it was partially responsible for a crash that resulted in a seperated shoulder last year.

For a good example of how strong the 819's are, I was riding Santo's a few weeks ago. I had 2 bad crashes, one because I didn't look at a line beforehand and I was leading, and the other because I was feeling brave and tried riding one of the narrow ladder bridges on the Vortex trail. First crash was on the ladder bridge, I got around the first corner, got too close to the edge. Realized I wasn't going to make it. I tried to manual off the bridge but caught the front tire hard on a piece of 4x4 used to anchor the bridge. Stopped me dead and planted my butt pretty hard into the dirt. Second crash was due to not looking at the line and not comminting with enough momentum to get over a sticky spot, and I fell over. Caught myself with a hand, but unknowingly I kicked a spoke out with my foot on the rear wheel, and it loosened another spoke. I rode another 14 miles with that spoke missing and never knew it until I cleaned the bike up later that week. Front wheel stayed dead true, and the rear wheel was just slightly out of true with 2 spokes on the same side being loose/missing. I was even jumping off the new practice jumps they set up after this happened!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »
how heavy is that wheel setup?

also did you make it yourself or did you have somebody build it?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 10:06:25 PM »
I just looked at the Mavic site, they look like a logical step up from my wheels, Do you know how much they weigh with the hubs?

I know the King hubs are pretty expensive, how do the 819's  fall in pricewise?   It seems to me, that to put a wheel together like that and then go with a tubeless tire, might really be the direction that I would like to go rather than converting with a stans kit.

got to go for now, my wife is threatening to sell the bike and the computer..........

Gregg

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 10:12:23 PM »
what i hate is how you get two totally different stories about ust vs stans...you have people that have had great luck and love them both and people that hate them both. 

even people at the bike shops that are supposed to be experts give totally different advice.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 10:17:14 PM »
Yeah I have heard the same, the guys at my bike shop, swore I shouldn't do it, but I have heard almost nothing but good things about Stants kits here.

One thing about the bikes shops, even the really good ones is that they are sales people, sales people always have a bias towards the product or products that the sell. Nothing really wrong with that, it is just something that you should always take into consideration.

Advertisement: