SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 02:56:38 PM] Darrinw2001: now now Fe.. T-bow is not a blowhard like most... 

[Today at 02:58:33 PM] FACTORe: I know

[Today at 02:58:42 PM] FACTORe: he is great

[Today at 02:59:00 PM] FACTORe: I will be glad when he is gone so the Tigers don't hav to face him any more

[Today at 02:59:16 PM] FACTORe: Tebow or Urban Myer have never won at Tiger stadium - let's keep it that way

[Today at 03:01:52 PM] mksandoz: tebow sucks

[Today at 03:02:17 PM] mksandoz: if i could kill 1 person in this world

[Today at 03:02:21 PM] mksandoz: it would be jdk

[Today at 03:02:24 PM] mksandoz: THEN tebow

[Today at 03:03:12 PM] Coach: that would be TWO people.

[Today at 03:03:19 PM] mksandoz: 1 = 2

[Today at 03:03:33 PM] Coach: 2 is the new 1

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Fat Tire Festival (Nov 6-9, 2009) Event registration for 2009 is open!  Information here.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipless in Seattle  (Read 725 times)

jro

• First Bike
Clipless in Seattle
« on: May 07, 2007, 11:02:12 PM »
Recently I have gone clip-less.  This transition is not the easiest that is for sure.  I get more power, hopping and climbing ability but with out the right momentum I get into transitions, where in the past I could tap the dirt with my foot, today I eat the dirt or tree or palmetto bush.  My arms and legs have some wonderful scab tattoos from each of my many falls.  Actually it is a slightly funny because I sometimes fall in slow motion.  You would think to avoid the pain I would clip out faster..oh no I try to make that last minute adjustment and then it is hello ground. Even with practice at home in the grass it just does not prepare you for the dynamics of the trail.

Let me also add that I have started to ride with other riders out at Alafia.  Funny story:  I was riding with Brad, who happens to work at an ER, we were riding Roller Coaster (Note I have been on roller coaster two times and always take the easier path)  he was talking me through each of the harder drops.  There is one drop that is steep and has several big roots while the up hill portion is smooth except at the bottom you need to adjust in order not to hit the tree.  Thats right after Brad went I said I can do this.  Brad was at the top positioned between me and the tree.  Hello tree.  There is a piece of my chest on some of that bark.  Funny thing is I did not let go of my new bike it was tightly held by my left hand. 

benjibbad

• Ninja Master Cyclist
Re: Clipless in Seattle
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 05:30:09 AM »
Welcome to the world of clipless. I fall all the time, even when I know I'm going to stop.  Just can't seem to get it right.  Someday I will.
Pedal fast, Hit hard - pain is temporary, and chicks dig scars!!

Check out the Blog:
http://scifdps.blogspot.com/

SandPine

• Ride Guide
  • Yellow Jersey
  • SS Bender
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:56:12 AM »
Jro,
Your story is all too familiar to all of us.  We all gone through it.  No worries, in a few months you will be saying the same thing I am saying to you now, to other clipless virgin.   ;D ;D ;D

I know what you mean about trying to get one more pedal stroke in instead of putting your foot down.  I often don't make certain climbs just because I rather unclip and put my foot down then fight to get that one last pedal stroke and taste the dirt.  It comes with time. 

Pariah

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:37:27 AM »
Welcome to the world of clipless excitement.  as MrSandPine said, we've all been there...and it does get better.  I've been clipless now for about 3 months and at first I fell all the time too.  The good news is it becomes instinctive.  Now I don't even think about clipping out when I need that slip touch to the terra ferma good example is when corning at Santos in the brown ice out there one foot seems to clip out when both tires start to drift too much.

Just give it time and practice...lots and lots of practice.  Best advice I can give is to clip out one foot if you anticipate stopping.  Also if you're on an easy section of trail clip out and in as you pedal to the next technical section and before you know it clipping out will be second nature.

CrazyWhiteGuy

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 04:01:20 PM »
Yeah, what everyone else has said. Welcome to the club.

Clipless ain't easy, I've been riding clipless for about 6 months. Once you get used to it its very nice. My biggest problem with ridding flats was that I would put my foot down when really I could have made it. So its a trade off that Im fine with, I fall twice make make 20 climbs that I would have ended up hiking.
Riding a Kona FireMountain with a Manitou Black

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 09:18:41 PM »
Once you get used to it, you will actually fall less.It will become second nature to get out when you really need to! In the meantime buy some neosporin, and wear your scabs as abadge of honor!!!

We don't do this to stay clean and unmarred we do it for the thrill.

Gregg
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 09:49:55 PM »
I did it the hard way. First time back on a bike in 10 years, and I went clipless at the same time. I bet I fell 20 times on Sandpine! It held me back for the first few months, getting comfortable with the bike and pedals. But once you get it, you'll progress very quickly. Funniest one was I went OTB on Riverloop, caught a root just wrong and blam, I was laying on my back, both feet still clipped in and both hands still on the handlebars, bike sticking straight up in the air. My buddy was laughing so hard he couldn't help me up. :D
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 10:32:28 PM »
My son and Brother In Law had to pull me out of the Myahatchee creek at the North Port Trails two thanksgivings ago, I went in upside down still clipped in. I am told it was hysterical. 10 minutes later I fell into an ant pile. It was still a good day riding though!
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 24 queries.