Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: First ride racing ralphs  (Read 865 times)

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
First ride racing ralphs
« on: January 15, 2012, 08:58:27 PM »
Well, the 2.4 size was a little intimidating in the box but mounted up they are indeed fat but.... light as well. 645 grams for a full 29X2.4 is pretty light compared to the Captain controls 2.2 and the boat anchor of a Conti Race king at almost 1inch narrower.

I set these up tubeless naturally with stans.

First ride at Boyette today with 20psi in front and rear. First off these things roll! just as good or even better than the fast track captain setup. I was very pleased at how quick they came up to speed(well my speed at least) and so far the grip is real good. Well enough for standing climbs on the SS without losing grip. Cornering is pretty predictable as well. In short i am very happy with them .. the unicorn tire FAT, Light and rolls FAST!!

Of course I've been eyeing these for awhile but the price has kept me away. Originally listed as high as $80+ i was not buying them. I did find these however at Tree Fort Bikes for $59 and that was worth trying them out. I like the 2.4 front and rear but the 2.25 should even be lighter if you don't want the girth.

Now i need to experiment with tire pressure to see how low I can go.
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
Re: First ride racing ralphs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:34:33 AM »
What rim do you have it mounted on? how wide?
did you put the tires on the scale or are you going from mfg weight specs?
i have been eyeing these tires for a long time but just like you the price is still keeping me at bay.
do you have measurements of the casing and the outter knobs?

also what is your weight?
i am 175 and can ride 2.1 aspens at 19-22 lbs with tubes

i have a 2.25 if you wanted to trade  for the back? i havent had a chance to put them on to see how well the ride.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:40:27 AM by mellowme17 »
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 10:21:19 AM »
Mellow,
Im riding the crossmax 29er. Not sure of rim width. They are fat.. havent measured them but comared them to the 2.2 conti and 2.2 captain which is pretty fat itself and it is noticeably fatter. Didnt put them on a scale but most reviews said they are very close to claimed weight at 645.
I weigh 185+ without gear and running them right now at 20psi tubeless..... could probably go about 18 up front.

No trades as i wanted FAT tires bot front and rear....riding rigid. Like i said TreeFort had them at a decent price for Schwalbe
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline James Malone

• Trails volunteer Florida Mudcutters
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Giant Anthem Advanced 29, On One Inbred SS 29, Specialized Stumpjumper
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 06:21:50 PM »
Been running a 2.25 RR on the front of the Inbred SS since Alafia FTF, and have loved it. Captain on the rear has been pretty good to me as well. I am running them on Bonty Racelights at about 24 psi...I weigh 170 and am not a real aggressive rider. Not looking forward to laying out that much money again, but I think I will!
It's a cinch by the inch... HARD by the yard!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 08:19:43 AM »
I'm running ust 2.1 RR's (on kid sized wheels) on my Banshee.  The roll great and have pretty decent grip in the dry though I'm scared to see what they do in the wet.  My only issue I've had with them is that I got them to burp about half their air when aggresively hitting an off-camber g-out on Earn 'n Bern at Santos a couple of weeks ago.  I picked them up at Huck n Roll when they were on sale for like $23/each...amazing deal.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »
I have a Racing Ralph on the back and a Rocket Ron on the front of the Superfly 100.  Keep in mind that the most recent version of the Ralph 29er has a newer tread pattern and is considerably lighter than the past. The 2.25's weigh in at 520ish grams which is on par with the Rons.  Having ridden an Aspen on the back as well, I think the Ralph has a bit more grip and for sure more volume.  I may go as far as a Ralph up front and Aspen in the rear for Squiggy.  Anyone have a comparison of a Ron VS 2.4 Ralph for front tire use.  My only gripe on the Ron's is they are slick on wet roots.

Advertisement: