Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Poll

Have you use any of these?

I9 hubs
2 (8.3%)
Profile Racing Elites hubs
2 (8.3%)
Chris King hubs
4 (16.7%)
Hope hubs
7 (29.2%)
American Classic
6 (25%)
Other hub.  Which one?
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Have you used these hubs? Add pros, cons, or both for any of the following  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
I know there are other options out there so name them.  But I am mainly interested on these five for "normal"  MTB XC riding here in our heck of the woods in east-central florida.  Please provide a bit of info on what you like/disklike about any of these but do state if you have used them or not.  Real life experiances will help.  Thanks.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:55:09 AM by SandPine »

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
The only shop I know that pushes Profile hubs is Casey at AJ's... Hopes are not as expensive as the I9's or Kings, but are a cost effective alternative. I have heard nothing but great things about Kings, but I have known people who have had problems with I9's. You should also look at the DT Swiss 240 hubs with the upgraded 36t star ratchet. I have a DT 340 on my rear and it is easy to service.My only bitch is the freehub body is aluminum and pits easy...

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
I had almost settled on I9's until I realized that several of the people that I know that have them, have had issues with them.  I even saw a buch being serviced at a local shop.  Maybe not the enduro versions but the others had the free hub body too thin and seem to craked.  I9 offers ceramic bearings for them but I heard that those are worse than regular steel ones for hubs.  weird...  ???

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
I really like the "no drag" of my AC's.  All the pawns pull back/fall down when coasting.  Seem to coast forever.  But the engagemetn is not near what I9, Profiles are.  Not even Kings. 

For those that know... will you agree that the engagement is of this order on them:
I9 > Profile > CK > Hope > AC ?

">" = better or shorter engagement

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
American Classic ( not current ones) they were new 6 years ago.
Held up ok, but did bend a rear axle, used a couple sets of bearings. Were light weight. Bill and Ellen are nearby ( out by airport).
Did not like that they were adjustable, could never get all the slack out of the adjustment without causing bearing tightness.

BWW: A year now ( Not on you list ofcourse)but I am very happy with the BWW hubs. Not with the House rims ( PureXCR) but those were replaced with Mavic XM 719s which have about 300 miles on them now and are still streight and true.
Take a look at this link for a teardown ( see what is inside) of the BWW hubs.
 http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/bww-pure-wheelset-arrived-480062.html

Yes, they make complete 29er sets as well.
http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/bww-has-done-again-29r-set-757309.html

Plus: BWW hubs are available in a buch of colors to better bring out the Bling of that RL, and have faster engagement than AC hubs and Hope standard 240s
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:04:27 AM by Redriderpro »
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
   Red... the new classic hubs are way better than the old ones.
My list goes classics, and then kings…. End of story… lol

you’re a xc guy,  classics are very nice hub and are very light hubs although they lack the instance engagement  of the king and profile the classics still have a solid connection and feeling that i have been pretty happy with. i haven’t had any skipping or any failing at all and i have not serviced them once. They just keep getting smoother and smoother.
most people know i am pretty hard on equipment....
this being said I already blew up a set of bearings in my road wheels.. (3 weeks yay)

if i break my current hubs i will be going with Chris kings for the rear.

i9 don’t even make my list do the lack of seals and the amount of hubs i have seen and heard with issues and i hate they there sound.(not saying they are crap very nice hubs just don’t think they will cut it for the long haul)

dt swiss 240 hubs are always a good solid option.
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
Engagement is only a problem if you stop pedaling.  I have a solution...

As for drag, Hopes drag like whoa.  The new AC hub is a pretty rad, relatively drag-free design.
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
Engagement is only a problem if you stop pedaling.  I have a solution...

As for drag, Hopes drag like whoa.  The new AC hub is a pretty rad, relatively drag-free design.

plus 1!
pedal pedal pedal
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
been riding the I9s for years now.  My first set is bomb proof and those were, at that time, the ultralight wheel set.  only issue I had was after doing a crappy weather ididaride where folks where replacing hubs and bottom brackets due to the rain and wet and crap.  I had to replace the bearings, not a big deal.

For the record the ultra set I still have and it has been through  a trip ashvillie and two trips to blueridge, and all the trails the swamp club trips hit.  I am not by anymeans a gentle rider and I've never had any issues with the wheels.

Got a set for my 29er SS - no issues at all, got a set for my wife....no issues at all.  use a set now on the Giant anthem for racing and crashing...no issues. 

I will say one thing, you do need to have the hubs looked at every so often like any piece of "high performance" gear just like changing the oil on a car.  I9 also makes a standard hub for J bend spokes with the same engagement as their straight pull hubs.

At the end of the day any of the choices you have listed should be fine.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
I don't see Circus Monkey in your list?!?!!??!!?!?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Have you used these hubs? Add pros, cons, or both for any of the following
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
I don't see Circus Monkey in your list?!?!!??!!?!?

LOL!!! are those still going Strong Rob?

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
I "retired" the rear last year just before TD when the freehub gave me a problem. Rode the front hub till about 3 weeks ago. The hub is still good and I have it... I just wanted that wheel relaced with my Dynamo hub so I could start thinking about another adventure.

So - Don't buy Circus Monkey Hubs... I was your lab rat test subject on those.....

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 07:16:06 PM »
CK...    My set has been shredded for 11 years on 5 different bikes. Many mountain trips, even dj's and hucking. The only thing i have done is had them opened twice and cleaned. All original bearings. They are truly the shizzzz 8)

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
So nobody here has had the Profile racing Elites yet?  I know they seemed a bit marked up and don't yet have the longevity of the CK but time will tell.  They seemed to be very easy to service (if you need to).  They also don't seem to come back to the shop as often as the I9's.  DUnno how Pariah has been the only exception  ;) .
Anyways, good stuff guys.  Thanks for the input.  Leaning toward some weiked red/white build with the Profiles and Flows Stans rims.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:15:35 AM by SandPine »

Offline Singletrack Samurai

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Salsa Mamasita & Fixie War Machine
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »
Hi there. I like to ride long hard miles in all sorts of environments from wet to dry from flat to mountainous. I like to do zero maintanence. For five years I have rode my xtr  hubs. No problems no service done on them at all and they are still working perfectly.  Sounds like a winner to me.

Advertisement: