Author Topic: Superfly  (Read 236 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Superfly
« on: January 21, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
Publish
Anybody ride the Superfly 100 AL?  Pros/cons?

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Superfly100 & Superfly SS
Re: Superfly
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 10:46:39 PM »
Publish
I can't speak for the AL version but I have 10 months on a carbon version.  For background I came off and Epiphany and ride Santos and Boyett most often.  Though it is a race bike by design, I find it to be a great trail bike and ride an occasional 6 hour.  It feels every bit as confident in the technical stuff as my 26er did at 140mm.  Swap out the tires and your ready to go.  Aside from very tight technical turns (think John Brown at Santos) it is faster and very agile, though there is an adjustment period.  If your looking at the Rumblefish as well, you won't need it for anything in Florida, this 100mm goes a long way on big wheels.  If your looking for a very efficient machine that is at home almost anywhere this is a good bet.  For the price of the AL, you can pick up a lightly used 2011 carbon if you look around.  If they bought Red Shield, it can be transfered giving you frame warranty.  I'm 5'10" which is borderline between the 17.5 and the 19, I like riding the 19. Also look at a Jet 9 which is getting much more affordable in the aluminum version, I road one in Moab in the fall and had a blast.

Offline YaMon

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:23:06 AM »
Publish
I found the complete opposite. The bike was very light, but the way it was set up was definately not to my liking. Seat 2" above straight handlebars was great on the flats and the uphills, but going downhill was very scary. I was excited to ride a 24 pound bike, but found it not stiff enough for me. Not confidence inspiring. Maybe if the Hbar was changed to a riser bar and was even with the seat it would have been different for me. Strictly XC Race bike the way it was setup.

Offline ProEdgeBiker

• PROUD TO SUPPORT OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr to SWAMP for a FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUE!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 08:36:40 AM »
Publish
I can't speak for the AL version but I have 10 months on a carbon version.  For background I came off and Epiphany and ride Santos and Boyett most often.  Though it is a race bike by design, I find it to be a great trail bike and ride an occasional 6 hour.  It feels every bit as confident in the technical stuff as my 26er did at 140mm.  Swap out the tires and your ready to go.  Aside from very tight technical turns (think John Brown at Santos) it is faster and very agile, though there is an adjustment period.  If your looking at the Rumblefish as well, you won't need it for anything in Florida, this 100mm goes a long way on big wheels.  If your looking for a very efficient machine that is at home almost anywhere this is a good bet.  For the price of the AL, you can pick up a lightly used 2011 carbon if you look around.  If they bought Red Shield, it can be transfered giving you frame warranty.  I'm 5'10" which is borderline between the 17.5 and the 19, I like riding the 19. Also look at a Jet 9 which is getting much more affordable in the aluminum version, I road one in Moab in the fall and had a blast.

Any problems with the SWINGARM Cracking? I know of 3 people that this has happened to and one of them had it happen 3 times. But on a positive note, Garry, all the ones that i have heard that had the problems were carbon not AL