Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trail map question/request  (Read 418 times)

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Trail map question/request
« on: January 25, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
Is there a trail map that has the names and location pointed out for the different sections 
within a certain trail? For instance I heard the steep roll-in on Moonscape is called "DOOM". If not , would anyone like to help me out and jot down the names with a short description with location on the trail map?

It would be great for the videos I have been making if I could incorporate the names of these features.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Trail map question/request
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:52:35 PM »
I don't think that exists and would be kinda hard to get right...probably better off asking for names.  The Doom section on Moonscape got its name from a sign that used to be there at the entrance to the section eons ago.

Loved your latest video...I can't wait to try Big Red backwards one day.  With Big Red being relatively new, I don't think any of sections have names minus the wooden ramp at the turnaround point that I creatively call 'The Turnaround' :)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 06:01:55 PM »
Thanks. I thought that would be the case. I'm sure as time goes by I'll pick up on the nicknames given to sections by the local riders I run into. Thanks for the vid compliment as well.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
Come to think of it, I don't think many of the trail sections/feature have 'official' names. 

At Alafia, there is Doom and then the big, optional, ridge to the left after that section has been called No Dab Ridge.  The left hand turn and drop at the first hard option on Roller Coaster has been called 'FactorE Falls' due to a wreck that occured there.  That newish hard option on North Creek (a little climb then drop back into the trail), I have called the 'Panty Drop' due to a friend of mine wrecking on it, popping up showing that he was ok only to have his pants fall down because they came unbuckled during the wreck.

At Carter, the only one I can think of is the rooty step up between the two trees on Sneaky Snake which I have heard named as 'Satan's Needle'.

At Boyette, I haven't heard anything but I don't ride there that often.

At Santos, I can't think of anything specific other than 'that rock garden', 'that other rock garden', 'that one rocky downhill', etc...

If anyone has names for things, lets hear them!
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »
That's what I'm looking for. Official or not, it's always good to have names on features when sharing stories. I hate trying to describe sections. All that ever comes out in a description is " you know, the section with the tree and the roots right before that turn"  :o

Advertisement: