Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Sinkhole at Boyette  (Read 2528 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Sinkhole at Boyette
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
Hey folks,This morning around 9:ish a sinkhole ate the entrance to Golf Cart and part of the trail several feet further up.  I've blocked it off and this Saturdays workday we will open a new entrance at the first left curve in the trail to keep people away from the dangerous edge.  Sinkholes often times take weeks or even months to finally settle so for your safety stay away from the edge.  Gator Pit seems to be okay so we will also reopen the old trail on the back side of the lake to give us an out and back option to get from Golf Cart to Gator Pit.Thanks for spreading the word to keep away from drop off edge.  Would hate to lose anybody off the edge and have it crumble down on top of them.Garry

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
Re: Sinkhole at Boyette
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
I viewed it first hand this past weekend, at least the 8 foot deep ridges along the perimeter by Gator Pit...it was simply striking.  What a crazy happening there.  Everyone be very careful!
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »
The real question is when can we ride it? lol

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 04:21:19 PM »
You'd have to see it to know that it's not a rideable occurance.
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
Actually once we see what the rainy season does to it we will know how make it a fun section of trail!

Offline Breitest24

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia Trails
  • My Bike: Salsa Big Mama 1x10, Lefty Monocog Flight
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »
Actually once we see what the rainy season does to it we will know how make it a fun section of trail!

Thats awesome to hear, I imagine a giant  zigzag cork screw for speed!

Offline obelisk29

• First Bike
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »
You think you'll try do something with it before the fat tire?
Live free, Ride hard!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:32:42 AM »
Plank will be built.  Those that make it will get lunch.  Those that don't will be left there to fill the gap. ...   ;D

J/K...

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:36:14 AM »
Pave it

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:19:04 PM »
You think you'll try do something with it before the fat tire?

Would love to!  But it isn't on the work agenda with all of the other work that really needs to be done first before the FTF. 

We have 7 miles of trail repair in sections that takes an estimate of 2 - 3 hours each section to do right so it holds up between the workday and the day 300+ riders hit it. 

I estimate that what is on the To-Do-List will just barely get done before Nov. 3rd.  If somehow there is two full day workdays available the Gator Pit/Golfcart sinkhole problem could be addressed, but don't look for it.

Offline obelisk29

• First Bike
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:05 PM »
I wonder how amenable everyone would be to building a wood type bridge dropoff feature ala santos. I know there is a careful balance between excitement, safety and what the rangers/land owners want. So am I dreaming of something that may never be or is there the slightest possibility of this happening? If so it would be a perfect spot, with it's flat entrance to sloping exit. It might be wide enough to also do a mini bailout just connecting the gap, or even more than one bridge. I would admit to being a little a disappointed if we just had to smooth it over. I feel like we would be peeing on the face of mother earth who so graciously caved in a perfect feature for us to mold to our liking. The biking gods would literally taco our tires for even mentioning dumbing down "Gator Drop". Thor who I have on good authority would literally hammer this drop so hard that faces would be melted off. This drop will single handedly turn boys into men, as soon as your tires touch that sweet clay you will have grown a beard the likes of which will rival old man winter. But I digress, I think you get my point/question. TLDR Can we build an epic drop at the sinkhole.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:13:44 PM by obelisk29 »
Live free, Ride hard!

Offline Rocky Mountain OOTH

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
I wonder how amenable everyone would be to building a wood type bridge dropoff feature ala santos. I know there is a careful balance between excitement, safety and what the rangers/land owners want. So am I dreaming of something that may never be or is there the slightest possibility of this happening? If so it would be a perfect spot, with it's flat entrance to sloping exit. It might be wide enough to also do a mini bailout just connecting the gap, or even more than one bridge. I would admit to being a little a disappointed if we just had to smooth it over. I feel like we would be peeing on the face of mother earth who so graciously caved in a perfect feature for us to mold to our liking. The biking gods would literally taco our tires for even mentioning dumbing down "Gator Drop". Thor who I have on good authority would literally hammer this drop so hard that faces would be melted off. This drop will single handedly turn boys into men, as soon as your tires touch that sweet clay you will have grown a beard the likes of which will rival old man winter. But I digress, I think you get my point/question. TLDR Can we build an epic drop at the sinkhole.

One can dream...

Oh and GET OFF MY LAWN!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 08:27:45 AM »

A few years ago some guy (can't remember his name at the moment) built a rouge structure near Mt. Boyette.  The Land Manager saw it and was pissed because it wasn't approved, wasn't built safe, and went against what they will allow on the property.  OMBA has a different agreement at Santos than what we have at Boyette.  They went through a lengthy and tedious battle to get it by the way.  Pretty safe to say Boyette won't be having any free-ride style obstacles, jumps, and drop-offs.  The plan to work the sinkhole section will not alter the way Gator Pit is in anyway.  If anything I will stabalize the soft drop-in which has eroded about a foot deeper than what it was just two years ago.  I'm thinking rock garden style drop in. 

Offline obelisk29

• First Bike
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:20:22 PM »
I wasn't saying we should alter gator pit, it's one of my favorite trails. I was merely coming up with a cool name for the dropoff feature.
Live free, Ride hard!

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2012, 11:01:36 PM »
I wasn't saying we should alter gator pit, it's one of my favorite trails. I was merely coming up with a cool name for the dropoff feature.

No I get that.  I like Gator Pit too.  One of my favorite little short trails to blast through.  I do want to make a rock garden drop in though to stabilize the entrance better and keep it a challenge as well.  The sinkhole portion will be a challenge to design and work, but I think we can make it a fun little loop.

Advertisement: