Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Hydration  (Read 5384 times)

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Hydration
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:10:13 AM »
Ok so its getting pretty hot outside..  and as a couple of  you guys might remember..
... one beautiful sunday morning riding with Bob the Killer Wilcox..  most of us ran out of water..  oh yeah we did 35 miles in right at 3 hours...  8)

but anyways.. there is a question here..  when your on the trail and you know your going to run out of water...  what do you guys do?  ???

i have been thinking about this lately wondering what the most efficent thing to do is.. 
i kept drinking water a little at a time seemed like i could not quench my thirst though... 

what would you guys do ???

-bob  :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Hydration
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:21:13 PM »
Bob,
As my pictures on webshots will show you, I attempted the Croom 35 alone one hot summer day last year.  I was carrying plenty of water, supplements, and even two extra bottles.  It didn't matter I had the extra water, the heat got me by 11am.  Almost passed out of heat exaustion.  Not a good thing... specially alone... Dumb, dumb...

I have reached that point where you take one zip of water and your water kamel bag just kind of gargles back at you.  The sign of "oh oh" I am out of water and need another hour to make it back.  Not a good thing.   If you need extra water, you have no choice but to ask someone for some.  I carry  two botte cages on my bike and sometimes use both.  Like I did for the 50 miler events.  Fill them up with water, gatoraid, or whatever and don't use them.  Sure it will add a few onzes more to your bike.  But if you are doing a ride far from a trail head, your car, or other water source, it could save your life.  When you finish the water on your kamel bag, you know you have at least 24 oz left on the water bottle to start riding back.

As a sing out in Croom says.... "Hydrate or Die"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 06:47:31 PM »
Ok so its getting pretty hot outside..  and as a couple of  you guys might remember..
... one beautiful sunday morning riding with Bob the Killer Wilcox..  most of us ran out of water..  oh yeah we did 35 miles in right at 3 hours...  8)

but anyways.. there is a question here..  when your on the trail and you know your going to run out of water...  what do you guys do?  ???

i have been thinking about this lately wondering what the most efficent thing to do is.. 
i kept drinking water a little at a time seemed like i could not quench my thirst though... 

At Croom some folks have dropped off a gallon jug of very cold water at one of the fire roads where the single track crosses before the ride starts.  That way when they ride to that point they just fill up and pick up the jug on the drive back out.  Also, before the ride comes up pre-hydrate for two days before a hot ride in the summer.  That way you shouldn't be drinking just to catch up shortly after the ride starts.  Coffee makes one thirsty.  Alcohol the night before makes one thirsty.  Caffiene in sodas makes one thirsty.  Something to think about.

[edit for clarity]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 09:38:51 PM by Kevan »

Offline treadlight

• Pinoy MTBer
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I love my bike and bike loves me.
    • Pinoy MTBer
  • My Bike: Redline Monocog, Niner Air9, Niner One9
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 08:38:01 PM »
anyways.. there is a question here..  when your on the trail and you know your going to run out of water...  what do you guys do?  ???
Probably couple of times in Croom and once in Boyette that I ran out of water. At Croom I was 5 miles back to trail head 1 when I heard, as Sandpine said "gargling noise", I just slowed down use lower gears and use the quickiest and easiest route all the way back to the car. Made it but very exhausted.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »
what hydration systems are you all fond of?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 09:25:03 PM »
I ride with a 100 ounce camelback, plus I have a bottle with some gatorade I carry when I ride my Rush. I have 2 bottles on my SS, so if I'm riding at Alafia or Carter Rd where it is convenient to stop back by the truck I don't wear the Camelback. But places like Boyette where you are out for a long time I always ride with the Camelback.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 09:32:06 PM »
I have a 100 ounce mule (camel back, not the animal), and as it gets hotter, I add a bottle  to my frame  usually with gatorade.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
I ride with A C-Back Rogue and if need be, an extra water bottle. My Father uses a running camel back thats smaller but fits around his hip cause he doesnt like having it on his back, plus an extra bottle.

I drink alot and I know it, but my father drinks like a camel and he knows it. A few times I have lent him water at Boyette. Either way, it works out good for us.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:58:04 PM »
I have a 100oz Camelback MULE, plus a 100oz Camelback Unbottled that I can put in the storage compartment of the MULE. That's nearly 1.5 gallons (6 liters) of Gatorade. Plus some Cliffs Bars, of course.

If all else fails I can break out a Red Bull and fly back to the truck :D
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 04:07:30 AM »
Risky's got a pretty good idea, I have seen it before, but had not tried it. I could with a little of manuvering carry an extra resevoire in my mule. for those really hot days, which by the way are still a few months away...late july, aug, sept....

I am sure i could carry at least another 70 oz if not another 100 oz.  For the longer rides. 

Something to think about, and I know it was some source of debate last year, it is important not to over hydrate.

Anyone of you guys know the guidlines of what is safe?  If it is hot, it will take me around 3 hours to empty my 100 oz mule....

Yeah I know it is 4 am, don't ask.....

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 08:41:59 AM »
i just got a new hydration system myself.  I was camelback before i stumbled upon this system.  I was working a trade show and a company called Dakine was in the booth next to us.  They had hydration packs so i went to go check them out and actually liked them better than my camelback. 

here is the particular bag that i got: http://dakine.com/bike/bike-packs/nomad/  It holds 100 oz and it had the best thought out compartments of any hydration pack i have seen.  it has room for an extra 100 oz bag.  here is the best part.  the water bag and tube have a disconnect valve.  you can pack your second bag of fluid without a hose and when bag one is done just disconnect enpty bag and connect the full one without spilling a drop or having to reroute a new hose through everything.  also the mouthpeice has much better flow than other brands of packs i have tried and is 100% drip free.  there is a sunglass compartment that is lined with scratchproof material as well as a cellphone/pda/gps pocket that is lined with the same sort of material that you can reach without having to take the bag off.  it also has an insulated pocket for gels/bars etc so on hot days they don't melt.  it has a place to hold you helmet when you are not riding.  it has a pocket inside that is specifically deseigned for a pump.  it is the most thought out bike bag i have ever seen.   I gave them some numbers of local shops around here to see if they wanted to carry them but it is hard for the local shops to get out of the "camelback" mind set.  it is kind of like kleenex or coke.  people call a product by a brand name rather than "face tissue or soft drink"   

dammit...i am drifting again...ok back to subject

i have a dakine nomad that holds 2x100 oz bags of fluid

i took the cages off my bike because i didn't think they looked cool (stupid reason i know) i bet it would look more stupid to be on the side of the trail dehydrated

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 10:37:52 AM »

i took the cages off my bike because i didn't think they looked cool (stupid reason i know) i bet it would look more stupid to be on the side of the trail dehydrated

dont feel bad alot of us take things off our bikes for fear of not looking cool.. or wear baggy shorts cause they think tights dont make you look cool  LMAO..  ;D 

..drifting..

though that hydration pack you mentioned looks pretty cool.. only way to get one is through the internet or what? 

Did you find a shop around here that is going to start carrying them?  ..  saved myself..  lol

-bob  ;)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 10:41:26 AM »
not sure - i think they called AJs (i gave them AJs information) i know they have a pretty small commitment for a bike shop to carry their product.  Maybe call up AJs and see if they plan on it.  next time we ride together, i will let you check it out.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:44:44 AM »

dont feel bad alot of us take things off our bikes for fear of not looking cool.. or wear baggy shorts cause they think tights dont make you look cool  LMAO..  ;D 

-bob  ;)

on that subject/drift i wear the tights that i know look really bad on me so that i have motivation to get the salad instead of the 1/4 pounder

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 12:42:59 PM »
LMAO!

I too took my cages off for the same reason, I only out them on if I need them for a longish ride.

Trust me, I may not look all that cool in my baggies, but you have no idea, how much worse it could be!!!!

Hydration= cool   same subjec (ish) LOL!

Greggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

Advertisement: