Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Best places to get air at Alafia?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
Best places to get air at Alafia?
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:18:09 PM »
Being new to the area, I've gotta say that Alafia is awesome!!  You guys do a great job of maintaining it!

Where's the best places/trails at Alafia to get some good air?  I've caught some OK air on rollercoaster so far.....

I met some people out there yesterday...cool riding with good people!, and looking forward to meeting some more and getting involved with the trails, etc....
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
Re: Best places to get air at Alafia?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 10:08:20 PM »
If you got flying into the drops on bridges you should be able to carry enough speed out of it for a nice little hop. The only spot that I know of that is meant to get air off of is about half way through NCT. I managed to run over my leg on that one. :P
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 10:27:26 PM »
There are a couple of places on Bridges. The first one is towards the beginning, but you have to be careful as that area is a 2 way trail. When you go into Bridges on the right side of the parking lot, after the harder side loop, you run across the top of that little ridge, come out next to the board that seperates the trail. The section coming up where it goes back into the trees you need to carry alot of speed. When you hit the top of the little hump where it lets back out into the open, you can catch air off of it. Done right you don't get very high, but you won't touch down again until the bottom. But you have to be very careful of traffic from the other direction, as it is hard to see over the hump. The best thing is to send someone ahead to clear the trail.

The first of the big "dips" on Bridges, you can either hop off the top, or carry alot of speed and catch some air off the other side. I've also been jumping off the side of the 4th and 5th dip. Take a line about 12" to the right of the main line, just make sure you correct back towards the main trail at the bottom, and you need alot of speed to carry those moves off. Pulling up short could have bad results.

There are a couple of spots on Northcreek. The little hump that I'm sure everyone knows about, even by accident. ;) There is also a spot before that you can catch air going UPHILL. The trail makes a left turn and down a hill, you are going around a big tree as I remember. But it shoots you down this small hill, and then it goes back up onto a short ridge. Halfway back up thehill onto the ridge there are a couple of roots that have formed a small crest, simply loft the front tire a bit and you'll be suprised. Again, speed is the key here.

Disclaimer: I don't recommend this to anyone unless you have sufficient skill. None of these are easy, and all involve alot of speed to be carried. If done incorrectly you could get hurt.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline RiskEverything

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: '06 Cannondale Rush, '96 Cannondale Super V
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 12:04:33 AM »
My first ride at Alafia, I fell in with a group riding Bridges and airing out the first whoop. There is a little "lip" to catch that will help you launch. One guy got a solid 4' of air under his rear tire :o I have yet to catch any air there ::)

The little bump on North Creek, of course. It's after the flat, shaded ridge about half-way through the trail where most people take a rest-stop. You can charge along that ridge, take the left downhill turn and launch off that hill very nicely. Closer to the end of North Creek there are a few little whoops that you can catch some air on, including the very last one at the exit of the trail. That one is tricky though- do it wrong and you'll fly into a tree :-X

Lots of little stuff on Rollercoaster but I don't remember any big ones....

Gatorback... there is one jump/drop that can be made huge. It depends on your cahones and if the trail is open or not.
We see the world not as it is, but as we are.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 08:39:37 AM »
if it is a lot of air chances that you are looking for, perhaps try santos. 

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 09:45:18 PM »
There is definitely a good  spot right in the middle of North Creek.

I remember chasing Garry at the FTF on North Creek we were moving at a decent clip, mind you Garry is in much better physical condition than I , so I was panting, Garry looking back as if surprised by either:

a. I was still staying with him or
b. that I was still upright with all of the panting and weezing he was hearing behind him.

He turned back to me as first asked if I was alright, and my ego of course said "yeah sure! WEEEZE"  He responded by saying well at least you haven't gone down!

30 seconds later we reached that really cool spot, you know the one that launches you into the clearing............The next thing I know I am sideways (to my right) in the air! It would have looked really cool if I had meant to do it but. The cool part about it was I landed in sand and it didn't hurt. We stopped for a few minutes, while I composed my self.  Some girl that I had not ever seen before, and have not seen since, walked about 15 feet from us and dropped her pants and peed right in front of us.
I caught my breath and allowed myself to move to the middle of the group and have not tried to keep up with Garry since.

I know Garry will remember this incident, not because of the fall but because of the girl.

So to answer your question there is a great spot for air on North Creek!

Gregg

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:06:53 AM »
I do remember that ride Gregg when you launched and did your graceful landing.  Must of scared the pee out of that girl because she was not shy about letting it go.  Go MTB girls!!!!

There are a few places to get air, and hitting the drops fast enough you can even grab a little air on some of the uphill lips.

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 08:09:23 PM »
Cool!!  Thanks guys!!  I've gotta try some of the stuff on bridges...
Rode NCT for the 1st (and 2nd) time Sat...it was one of the best intermediate trails I've been on!!

I love riding the trails out there, but you know, sometimes you just want a little air under your tires.  Not that I'm up for most of the FR stuff at Santos, but some of the 2-4 foot stuff is good to throw in from time to time!! - so it's nice to have some opportunity a little closer to home

Thanks for the help!! ;D
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Advertisement: