Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Ergon grips--the cure for wrist pain?  (Read 3296 times)

Offline rookie peddler

• First Bike
Ergon grips--the cure for wrist pain?
« on: May 14, 2007, 12:27:44 AM »
I've been riding on an MTB for roughly a month now, and I found after about 2 hours of riding my wrists started to feel uncomfortable and got tender. The most painful areas are the two "hump bones" on the outside of the wrists (both hands). My current grips are OURY lockons on an FSA 6061 T6 (stock cannondale). I did notice I tend to lower the nose of the saddle. Except this, all set up are pretty standard.

Thus, I did some research on the net and found some people credit Ergon grips with relieving their wrist pain.  I wonder if anyone has experience of Ergon products? And is there LBS where I can try them? Or is there just something I should consider adjusting first?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Ergon grips--the cure for wrist pain?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:41:40 AM »
i switched to ergon grips and all my hand numbness went away.   also you will find that you dont grip the grips so hard because of the position it holds you hand in which also is good for comfort

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 10:02:36 AM »
I use the Oury's and love them, but I have heard great things about the ergon grips.

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
pm me . . . I have a set you can try.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 10:34:20 AM »
Hey Rookie,
You may have some other issues with your body position and bike setup.  You mentioned you tent to lower the nose of your seat down a bit.  I know what you mean there!  Gotta protect the down under.  But lowering it too much means you are putting more weight on the front of your bike and your wrists.  

I will highly recommend getting a fitting done.  I got mine and it recommended me the proper settings but I found the seat position they told me to use was too low.  But it did help me with the forward/back and angle of the seat I should have been using.

Before I was less experienced I bought the Ergon grips because I had soreness on the palm of my hands.  They would get numb from riding.  Everyone would tell me it was just that I was not used to the position.  I tried different gloves with gels and nothing fealt as good as the Ergon grips.  However, when I started to do a bit more technical trails, I found that the Ergon grips made me loose a bit of the grip on my handle bars.  When I reach for my brake I use my index and middle fingers.  That leaves my ring and pinky as well as my thumb on the other side.  Well that was okay but the Ergon grip is wider toward my pinky and ring fingers so those two fingers alone were not enoug grip when I was braking.  It was GREAT for resting my palms but just not enough grip.  Things got even uglier when I was braking AND using my thumb to shift down as we often do as we are slowing down.  That left me completely expossed to no grip but my pinky and ring finger.

I switched to Oudry and have been on those ever since.  I still do the "grip of death" as I decent step downhills so my hand still get sore.  But if I relax my shoulders, move back my seat as well as use level angel, it helps my palms.  I will use my Ergon grips on the 50 mile endurance races since there is little technical sections and is more about lasting 5-6 hrs on the bike.  I must mention that I cut my handle bars about 1 1/2 inch on each side to give me more confidence through tight tree sections.  That may have been the reason my Ergon grips were too close to my brakes and shifters.   Again, I might experiement with them a bit more.  So if you use the Ergons make sure you leave at least 1/2 from the inside tip to the shifters and brake handles.  That way you will shift your hands inwards when you need to shift/brake and give you more grip for the pinky and ring figers.  When not shifting/braking you can relax your hands outwars doward the palm rest of the Ergon grip where there is little to no grip.  Also experiment with the different angles the palm rest is to be used.  If too high of an angle and you are riding in a relax mode, it doesn't take a big bump for your hand to kind of slide forward away from the grip.

Do a fitting if you can but if not, experiment with several grips, grip angles, and seat positions until you are confortable and have less numbness.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:39:57 AM by MrSandPine »

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:34:13 AM »
if you are having trouble with the regular ERGON grips then try the race version.  the paddles are not quite as big and you stay a little more connected when shifting/braking.

here is a link to the ones I am talking about http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/r2.html

I am waiting for July to get some Gx2's http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/coming_soon/gx1.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 11:38:31 AM by FACTORe »

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 12:12:50 PM »
I have the old style, the enduro style and the gx1's.  Like them all.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 12:38:29 PM »
I run ergon's on both of my bikes and love them. They also helped out my neighbor who was getting pain in his wrist.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline rookie peddler

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:40:31 PM »
Thanks guys for all the feedback! I'll definitely try fitting first and try Ergon grips later.

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:04:51 PM »
My old man has Ergons on his bike. I don't much like um cause my hands are kinda big, just big enough to where it feels cramped. He raves about um though
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Jimbo

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 07:03:26 PM »
I just want to thank you guys for recommending the Ergons. What a great grip. I was out at Alafia last Sunday with my old grips, ouch!! Those things really beat my hands up! At work on Monday, I couldn't even simply write something down. I felt like a damn cripple for a day or two!! Used the Ergons for the first time today. What a difference! Hands aren't sore and no numb fingers ;D. This is one of the reasons I joined SWAMP, because you guys are so helpful and full of info. Thanks again!! ;D
It's not just fun, it's an addiction!

Advertisement: