Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Do you ride in the rain?  (Read 1072 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Do you ride in the rain?
« on: April 20, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
I rode carter a few hours ago and it had been raining and started to really come down on us half way through our ride. The sand and mud was thick and built up on our bikes very quickly. The noise my drive train and brakes were making was really worrying me after a while. I imagine it can't be good for the components, after rinsing everything was back to normal.

So do you guys avoid wet weather? If not any tips? Or just grind till something breaks?

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Do you ride in the rain?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 07:31:46 PM »
Avoid wet weather in the clay soil since it's very fine and can get into tight components. The trail will can get rutted severly as well and is a lot of work to repair when it dries it since it becomes rock hard. Sandy trails like Croom or North Port are at their best a few hours after a heavy rain since the sand packs tight.Even some of the thickest sand tightens up nicely after a rain and when it dries it becomes loose again so no trail maintenance or severe ruts are left to repair.

Offline Pariah

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
Ride in Rain bad for bike....Bike break - hubs, bottom brackets, break pads....and as bruceS says grit can cause other issues if it gets into pivots, cable housing ect....  Not to mention the damage you can do to the trails.

Croom AFTER rain = blissful riding.
WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »
Been caught in torrential rains at Croom and San Felasco...some of the best rides I have ever had. Totally worth the extra maintenance and those trails do okay in the wet.

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »
Been caught in torrential rains at Croom and San Felasco...some of the best rides I have ever had. Totally worth the extra maintenance and those trails do okay in the wet.

I know Ridgeline is a no go when wet, but what about the rest of Balm or Alafia, or WT when raining?

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:23 PM »

I wouldn't ride Alafia in the wet at all.  If I get caught in the rain there I'd just go back to the lot and call it a day.  The trails don't hold up well to wet riding and the wet clay is like ice.  If the area has had torrential rains I would avoid it for at least a few days to let it dry out. 

Boyette for the most part does okay it seems but I would not ride the more difficult trails unless you give it time to dry.

WT is great.  During the summer you will likely see some trails closed as they tend to flood easily.  I've been caught in some monsoon conditions at WT where it felt more like river biking on the main trail, but they drain quickly.  There are, however, some spots on the main trail in the center of the paved loop that can get extremely flooded if we get a ton of rain.  I would avoid those when conditions apply.

Croom, on the other hand, can pretty much be ridden year round.  Avoid the optional hard trails and enjoy the yellow/blue trails if we have had a ton of rain.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »
What rain?  NO rain at boyette all this morning.  I don't know why i listened to the weatherman.  They always get it wrong.  ARgggg...

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 02:45:35 PM »
Wet riding is a blast, it separates the men from the boys  :P.  Just avoid the sensitive trails like Ridgeline.  As for components, ditch the oil lubes and coat with Maxima chain wax or equivalent if you know you're going to be in the elements.  Oils will just wash away and do nothing for grit removal.  Maxima on the other hand is great for removing grit and keeping things lubed.  Afterwards, wash bike well (don't just wipe it down), dry, lube, let sit, and then relube with your oil based stuff.  Oh, and don't worry about your brakes or chain in the wet, those are just normal sounds and wont do any damage.
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 03:11:20 PM »
Also remove the seatpost and flip the bike over to let the water drain right after your ride.

Offline Albe23

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Dartmoor Hornet, all Dartmoor'd out.
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »
Also remove the seatpost and flip the bike over to let the water drain right after your ride.

+1 This
"Force has no place where there is need of skill" - Heredotus

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 02:28:07 PM »

That's also good advice after joining the Carter Road swim team.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Advertisement: