Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Squiggy Course  (Read 653 times)

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Squiggy Course
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:14:14 PM »
I am posting this in appeal to you guys.

In the preceding 3 months to the Squiggy race, I personally spent over 100 hours clipping, sawing and raking some cuts for the race course.  I  was able to this with the understanding from the park that the majority of it would be TEMPORARY.

Within a couple of days I went in with a friend and blocked them off. I have since blocked off the portions that need to be closed 5 different times. As recently as 7:45 last night. ( I also blocked them last Wed night, and they were cleared on Thursday)

Someone is actually taking the time off of their bike to clear the logs and brush off of the CLOSED trail. I am not sure why this person or persons thinks that this is ok, or what authority that they have to do this, but they don't.

In fact, what this person might just do is cause a bunch of problems. WTA, and Swamp don't own the land. For that matter Hillsborough County doesn't own the land.

Be respectful, don't be selfish, and ride the other 30 plus miles of off road trails in Wilderness Parks.  If you know who it is, please say something. If it is you, stop.

I will leave the fun section in the pits, and a couple of the other little spots but the majority of the rest has to be closed. I will get back out in the next few days, probably with some help to cover them up with more logs. If you would like to help me, please let me know.

Gregg

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: Squiggy Course/ Morris Bridge trails.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:15:04 PM »
Just an update on this subject.

It took me a week to be able to get back out there and have the time to re close the sections that need to stay closed.

This time I had some help from one of the rangers.  There can be no doubt that these sections need to be closed.

Please be respectful and don't ruin things for yourself and others. I did leave some of the less sensitive cuts (around the pits and the power lines) feel free to ride those, and the other 30 plus miles of off road trail that are at Wilderness parks and leave these few hundred feet alone.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Gregg

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Squiggy Course/ Morris Bridge trails.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 09:30:13 PM »
This is where getting out there and helping volunteer allows one to learn why trails are the way they are, how they get approved for us to even use, and what we can do and can't do for a variety of reasons.  We EARN flexibility from working with the land managers. We GAIN trail opportunities from playing by the rules.  We ENJOY the fruits of all of that with the quality of the trails that we have the man power to maintain.  Some folks prefer only to ride the trails that others build and maintain, then make it tough on everyone when they want more than what they put in to it.  Respect the trails that are GIVEN to you and try to understand how it is that you even have them in the first place.

With that said - enjoy your ride; stay off closed trails. Simple enough.

Garry

Just an update on this subject.

It took me a week to be able to get back out there and have the time to re close the sections that need to stay closed.

This time I had some help from one of the rangers.  There can be no doubt that these sections need to be closed.

Please be respectful and don't ruin things for yourself and others. I did leave some of the less sensitive cuts (around the pits and the power lines) feel free to ride those, and the other 30 plus miles of off road trail that are at Wilderness parks and leave these few hundred feet alone.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Gregg

Offline aaron1017

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • AAROWN
Re: Squiggy Course
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:51:06 PM »
So if WTA, Swamp, and Hills county don't own the land.... who does?!?!

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
Re: Squiggy Course
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »
So if WTA, Swamp, and Hills county don't own the land.... who does?!?!

The South Florida Water Management District

Advertisement: