Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: tire pressure and stans notubes  (Read 2269 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
tire pressure and stans notubes
« on: May 14, 2007, 11:56:19 AM »
first off i weigh 255 (down from 267 post surgery---yay getting better) i have mavic crosstrail ust wheels-stans notubes-maxxis inferno non ust tires at 35psi in rear 32 psi front.  In the abyss sunday i blew the bead off the wheel when i Gd out at the bottom of a drop.  I went straight to AJs after the ride and asked Darren what he recomended.  he said that it is common for people of my weight to blow the bead off stans setups with non ust tires.  so i asked what tires he recomended and i came home with a new set of continental verticle pro usts.  he told em to go ahead and put the stans fluid in to help with punctures.  now that you know my weight and setup and what i am trying to avoid, who is running something simular so i can have an idea of what air pressure best suites this setup condisering my weight

thank you

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: tire pressure and stans notubes
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 12:00:08 PM »
... he said that it is common for people of my weight to blow the bead off stans setups with non ust tires...
Thanks FACTORe...
Does anyone know if a rider of about the same weight (I am 218) have similar problems with UST tires and stans on it? Or just the non-ust tires with out tube and stans setup?..

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:11:26 PM »
I weigh 225 and have had zero problems so far with my tubeless setup.  I am using a homemade sealant and non ust tires.
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:13:50 PM »
i guess that there are going to be variances in how good a bead will hold with stans depending on brand.  on stans site it had recommended tires and non recomended tires and maxxis wasnt on either list so - shrug

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:34:49 PM »
I'm 225 and have been riding tubeless for about 1 1/2 years. I run 32 in the front, and 33 in the rear. Depending on your riding style, I'd try 38 or so to start and maybe work your way down from there. I just got my first flat this weekend. Not bad IMO for about 1500 miles off-road. I did try the Stan's stuff one time on my SS, and I didn't like it at all. So I built a set of wheels with some 819 rims and went to true UST like I have on my other bikes.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 10:10:35 PM »
before you even consider weight you need to look at the type of tire everyone is running..

ust tires on tubeless wheels generally do not need STAN's..  and because the sidewall is soooo stiff you can get away with running lower air pressure... 

basically your going to get what you pay for..

i had STANS in some kenda tires, they did very well for about 500 miles... i am guessing that because they were not ust tires the sidewalls and the tire just aren't thick enough for STANs anymore..  so they both have tubes in them now..  but.. I am going to try and reseal them this weekend.. I will let you ugys know how it works..

-bob
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Advertisement: