Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Help with Georgia Trip  (Read 565 times)

Offline Joshua Owens

• Lets Ride!
  • First Bike
  • Ready for FTF!
  • Favorite Trail: Got love for 'em all!
  • My Bike: 2013 Carbon Stumjumper
Help with Georgia Trip
« on: May 08, 2012, 12:10:21 PM »
Planning a trip up to Ellijay and looking for advice for trails to stop at along the way. The plan is to leave in about two weeks from now and make my way up to Bear Creek in Ellijay. Is this a good final destination or is it worth it to go a bit farther somethwere else? Looking to make it a 5 day trip.. leaving on a monday morningand stopping somewhere around half way... riding for the day and camping the night. Then continue on to the ellijay area the next morning, riding the rest of that day and hopefully camping somewhere near there that night. The plan may be to stay there for about 2 nights and riding local trails there. Then on friday, head back to somewhere about halfway back to tampa and riding/camping that night. Next day is the trip home. Anyone have any experience in this area? Thanks for the help!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Help with Georgia Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »
http://www.mulberrygap.com/
Lots of good info here. The best riding between here and Ellijay is at Dauset in Jackson,  about an hour south of Atlanta. Ellijay has plenty to keep you busy for the week. If you tire of riding BC and the Pinhotis, Fort mountain is a nice change of pace and the Aska trails are just a few minutes up the road around Blue Ridge.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:43 PM »
If you have 5 days, skip Ellijay and just go to Pisgah.  Load up on Red Bull and Depends and drive straight up there, ride 3 days, and come back.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Joshua Owens

• Lets Ride!
  • First Bike
  • Ready for FTF!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 01:05:18 PM »
If you have 5 days, skip Ellijay and just go to Pisgah.  Load up on Red Bull and Depends and drive straight up there, ride 3 days, and come back.

worth the extra $100 in gas?

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »
pisgah has more "gnar" "epic" "backcountry" riding. if your're into that, it might be worth your extra $100. if you're riding solo, or do not have much experience in real mountains, NGA is going to be more worth your while.  pisgah ain't going anywhere...there's always the next trip.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Joshua Owens

• Lets Ride!
  • First Bike
  • Ready for FTF!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:38:00 PM »
thanks for the replies so far... I'm going with my gf who is still pretty new to the sport... so I suppose NC probably wouldnt be the right choice for her. I'm torn because I fly for free but then have to rent/ship my bike and arange transport and hotels... then theres the other option of driving and camping everything and bringing my bike on the car... gas isnt cheap these days so that makes the car option more limiting but I wouldnt have to ship my bike ($100)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
If your GF is going to ride everything with you, and she is a bit new, then a LOT of the trails are not going to be kind to her.  Bear Creek and Pinhoti etc., may overwhelm her.  Rabbit Mt. has a very buff, flowy loop that is packed clay.  Climbs are only a 100' or so.  It is on a kind of peninsula, so the area around it is nice too.  Don't get me wrong, it is fun for any level, just a bit safer.  You could haul butt and she could ride a more leisure pace.  Or ride one lap with her, then one solo.  Not too far from Elijay, just over the border in NC.  If she is not going to ride with you, then cheat and have her shuttle you to the top of BC and hit all the trails on the way down (prob 3 hrs, give or take).  You will not want to miss BC, Pinhoti and the rest if you go that far.  Also, I remember a trail called Thunder Rock or something we rode near Hiawassee, that was a great trail.  Someone else could prob. chime in with the right name and location.  I think it was in Tenn., but again not far from Elijay.  Enjoy and be careful.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:49 AM »
If your GF is going to ride everything with you, and she is a bit new, then a LOT of the trails are not going to be kind to her.  Bear Creek and Pinhoti etc., may overwhelm her.  Rabbit Mt. has a very buff, flowy loop that is packed clay.  Climbs are only a 100' or so.  It is on a kind of peninsula, so the area around it is nice too.  Don't get me wrong, it is fun for any level, just a bit safer.  You could haul butt and she could ride a more leisure pace.  Or ride one lap with her, then one solo.  Not too far from Elijay, just over the border in NC.  If she is not going to ride with you, then cheat and have her shuttle you to the top of BC and hit all the trails on the way down (prob 3 hrs, give or take).  You will not want to miss BC, Pinhoti and the rest if you go that far.  Also, I remember a trail called Thunder Rock or something we rode near Hiawassee, that was a great trail.  Someone else could prob. chime in with the right name and location.  I think it was in Tenn., but again not far from Elijay.  Enjoy and be careful.
Thunder rock is a GREAT 2 mile down hill at Tansai, the trails at the Occoee white water center in tennessee, a nice day trip from ellijay.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:08 AM »
pisgah has more "gnar" "epic" "backcountry" riding. if your're into that, it might be worth your extra $100. if you're riding solo, or do not have much experience in real mountains, NGA is going to be more worth your while.  pisgah ain't going anywhere...there's always the next trip.
Better yet... pay that guy (^^^^) a few $$, feed him some food, and give him shelter for those 5 days and he will give you a personal tour of all that area starting at Dauset.  He just moved up there and left us.

Advertisement: