Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Calling all armchair Dr.s  (Read 886 times)

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
Calling all armchair Dr.s
« on: May 15, 2012, 09:41:11 PM »
I am seriously in need of some help.  Let me give some background.  I am 43 (this month) and have been MTBiking seriously for about 5 yrs. or so.  Last June I took a trip to Elijay and rode there, N.C., and Tenn.  Had a great time, rode fairly well.  Prior to that I had ridden 65 miles as my longest ride (Ride of the Living Dead).  I did have some issues with my feet and back.  I ponied up and paid for the Retul fitting at AJ's.  I no longer had any problems with my feet and back.  Do to whatever reasons, I took off ten months of riding.  I started back about six weeks ago.  I had signed up for the Alafia Classic, to force myself to get in shape.  The week before the ride I had a nasty crash and bruised two ribs.  I couldn't get back on the bike at all for two weeks.  When I could get back, I tried to just spin a lot.  I built up a frame I had as a SS to help train.  I took a shot at the Hammerhead 50 last weekend and completely pooped the bed!  I did one stink in lap and couldn't ride any more.  Here's the deal.  I get a pain in my foot (rt. usually, sometimes both) that feels like someone is stabbing it with a knife.  When it is full on pain, I can't find relief, even when I get off the bike.  I have Specialized shoes and their med. insert support, with a single layer of lift under the front.  I have moved my cleat to the rear position to no avail.  The shoes are less than a year old.  I am also getting neck and low back pain.  Again I was perfectly fitted to the bike and had no issues a year ago.  It is beyond frustrating to deal with this.  Am I riding too much, too hard for my body?  My cardio is better than my body parts.  My primary has been no help.  Typical "don't ride" if it hurts crap.  I would buy new shoes if I knew it would help, but I don't want to drop money unless I know it will work.  So, after all that, has anyone had any similar problems after a long hiatus?
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline chainslap

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Chainslap
  • My Bike: Fuel EX 9.9 29er
Re: Calling all armchair Dr.s
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 01:43:13 AM »
My $.02,
RELAX
You have lost some muscle and flexability.  Take it back to the basics.  Ditch your computer for a while, shorten up your stem or add a spacer to put yourself a bit more upright in your riding position. Mabe take a 1/4 in off your seat height.  Go out and have fun and forget about how things used to be.  Warm up a bit and streach, and again when your done. Hydrate before and during your ride, just water and electrolite if needed.  Slowly build up your base as it feels comfortable, don't chase the crowd and listen to your body.  It will come back around before you know it, hang in there.  Just remember we bike to relieve stress, not to creat it.

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:24:40 AM »
I would try a set of platforms and some regular shoes. See if that eliminates the foot issues.

Offline Orion_134

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Man up
  • My Bike: 29er fadness
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:39:39 AM »
Ditto on changing shoes. 
'10 Epic 29er (shred machine)
'08 Gary Fisher Montare (urban/CX commuter)
'10 Rockhopper Comp 29er (SS soul-ridah pain cave)
Semper Fidelis
02-10 SSGT of Marines
(Most) always down for a ride in the Gainesville area

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 08:33:12 AM »
I have a pair of Crank Brother 50/50's (platforms), but I tried them with a trail running shoe and still had foot pain.  Would a pair of biking shoes help?  My main ride (Jet9) is just about perfectly balanced.  I feel if I put a shorter stem on, it will adversely affect the handling.  I do have the stem though.  My overall level of health is much higher than than when I was riding a lot, hence the frustration.  My rides end because of pain not cardio or cramps.  Thanks for the replies and keep the ideas coming.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
For me, I used to have lower back pain that was caused by weak abs.  My abs weren't strong enough to support my core requiring my back muscles to work harder to provide the support.  Try adding some ab exercises during the week and see if that helps with your back.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
Just started some core stuff Mon. (low back, abs, stability ball crap).  Hopefully it will help.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »
core..... core... core.... work on your stretching as well...

as for your foot i have no idea...sounds like some problems i have heard with runners with high arches
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 05:42:15 PM »
sounds like Low Testosterone to me. I hear about this all natural herbal remedy on AM radio all the time.. ;) j/k..

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 05:53:05 AM »
sounds like Low Testosterone to me. I hear about this all natural herbal remedy on AM radio all the time..  j/k..

Can't be that.  My Dr. says I have more testosterone in me than a Bull shark!  Or did he say Estrogen....I can't remember.

Darius, so are you trying to say I should work on my core or something?  Just come out and say it man!

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:42:05 AM »
First of all, I can't believe someone would fall off a bike and hurt their ribs, I mean seriously?
Good to hear you are back on the bike Coach. We will have to get together soon.
I get foot cramps in my arches sometimes if I am not in "riding shape"
Nothing replaces time on the bike and 10 months is a long time to be off.
Have you tried heat and massage before and after a ride? The sharp pain seems like a real issue but maybe it is just muscle related?
Also you are getting old. I am 46 and everything hurts so I take Advil and I just suck it up!
Lets do some Friday ride and beer nights soon.
(BTW I hit a tree new years day. Scared the crap out of me. I was off the bike for 6 weeks. Been squirelly ever since.)
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »
COACH!!!  Long time man how you been?  Wanna go ride San Felasco in the middle of summer again?  :-)  I think about you and your bud every time I go ride there.

Hey, can you be more specific of where on your foot you get the pain?  Is it on the sole right on the arch, outside edge, toes, heel, etc...  If is all over the foot and shooting up your leg, you may want to get back adjustments.  Core will help your lower back but not your foot.  Also, try riding with the shoes loose when you get the pain to see if it goes away.

When I get lower pain, I know is time to see a chiropractor.  I had been doing 1/month adjustments.  I've kind of stopped going for two main reasons.  1) I am doing more core 2) I gave up on my wobble-naught laser fit.  Wobble had me sitting on the bike on an agressive position leaning forward to free up the leg muscles to pedal instead of part time dedicated to support my upper weight on the bike.  I went with a 0 degree stem and got a riser bar.  I still have a flat bar on my SS bike and when I ride it, I get lower back pain specially on climbs or when I go over the 4 hrs on the bike.  When I get that lower back pain, I usually have to stop get off the bike and do a self adjustment.  Even if is a simple bend over and touch the toes for a few second, it helps a lot.  I also had the RETUL done and while the seat, height, reach over, distances are the same to the wobble, the stem and bar were totally different.  So now I am using the wobble measurements but the RETUL recomendation to cleat, stem, and bar recommendations.

If you did the RETUL with Roy when he was at AJ's, he is back on the fitting scene at another shop in Oldsmart.  He kept all the data from the fits he did.  If you need a small tweak you may want to talk to him about it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:59:19 AM by SandPine »

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 10:59:55 AM »
Sandpine, I appreciate the info.  Actually, I AM going to ride San Felasco in the next few weeks.  With Dan (the guy who cramped).  He actually just killed it at Hammerhead.  He got 75 miles (3 laps) and said if he had gone faster on lap 1, he would have made the cut off to do 4.  He is in wayyyy better condition than I am.  the pain in my foot is specifically under the ball of my foot.

Offline hygieneboy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »
Ditto on platform pedals / skater shoes /short stem till you get back to your normal self, If I'm doing a ride longer than 15-20 miles I'll wear thicker(Thorlos) or two pairs of socks for that extra cushion. Take some anti-inflammatory OTC pills 1/2 hour before you ride(alieve/excedrin)

I put a stubby stem(40 mm) on both my MTB and road bike. I don't think it ruins the handling at all. I feel like my 29er especially is more manueverable in tight switchbacks.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »
Did about 25 miles at Santos on the SS speed and felt great.  Don't laugh, but I did the Dr. Scholls computer thing at Wally World.  I have been wearing them in my riding shoes and it is a bit uncomfortable for the first 20-30 min. (uncomfortable, not painful).  Then I just don't feel them and I don't think about it at all.  Also, built up a new SS frame that handles best with a shorter stem and I didn't have any back pain.  Right now I am pretty happy to be riding pain free.

Advertisement: