Author Topic: Air Travel With Bike?!  (Read 134 times)

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
Air Travel With Bike?!
« on: May 16, 2012, 04:35:27 PM »
Publish
So, I am going to New Hampshire in June for a wedding and I am trying to decide the best way to get my bike there to use for the week.  Does I box it up and ship it via UPS for $100+ or can I box it up and check it for a minimal cost?

Does anyone have experience with this (particularly with Southwest)?
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er in Jungle Fever Green
Re: Air Travel With Bike?!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
Publish
I have heard some ship their bikes from a local LBS (like AJ's) to one in the area they are going for a lower commercial rate and have the receiving lbs assemble it. may cost a little less than shipping on your own.

Offline ProEdgeBiker

• PROUD TO SUPPORT OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr to SWAMP for a FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:20:33 PM »
Publish
So, I am going to New Hampshire in June for a wedding and I am trying to decide the best way to get my bike there to use for the week.  Does I box it up and ship it via UPS for $100+ or can I box it up and check it for a minimal cost?

Does anyone have experience with this (particularly with Southwest)?

if you need help on the shipping for ALOT less, let me know.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »
Publish
Ship it ahead of time...checking it in at the airport is major hassle and a major strain on your wallet.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline arriflex

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • Horizontal Trackstand Expert
  • My Bike: Anthem 29er, KaiTai
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:48 PM »
Publish
Def ship ahead of time. Any oversized checked items are not only a huge pain in the ass/pocketbook- but are also apt to be broken, stolen, parts borrowed by our friends in the TSA.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:57:46 AM »
Publish
i just went out to sea otter in cali with my bike 50 bux south west no damage and i used a soft case... just pack it well use the pipe foam and old hubs in the drop outs...
no hassel no strain... i will buy a better case in the next few weeks but imo shipping a head of time is more of a pain then anything else..

45lbs with all of my gear in the bag.
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline ender.

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Nashbar Steel CX
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »
Publish
Don't know if this would fit your bike, but I just happened to see it on CL after reading your thread:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/bik/3004213641.html

Offline ProEdgeBiker

• PROUD TO SUPPORT OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr to SWAMP for a FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:57:03 AM »
Publish
i just went out to sea otter in cali with my bike 50 bux south west no damage and i used a soft case... just pack it well use the pipe foam and old hubs in the drop outs...
no hassel no strain... i will buy a better case in the next few weeks but imo shipping a head of time is more of a pain then anything else..

45lbs with all of my gear in the bag.

that's actually pretty unreal! they tried charging me $120 to carry on a bike to CT in a bike box that only weighed 32lb. I turned around put it back in my pops car and emailed him a couple of FedEx Labels.

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Rob Rides For Pink - TD Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 03:34:05 PM »
Publish
Southwest, Westjet, and Air Canada only charge $50 to fly a bike. I think there are a few others out there that charge something similar in price.

Either will work - just depends on if you have a respectable palce to which you can ship the bike and not worry about it. If flying and the rental car will hold your bike or a friends picks you up, the only hassle is getting from baggage claim to the car...

The other "major" airlines charge up to $200 each way to fly your bike.... those guys suck.

Offline Curt

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: Monkey and an Ogre
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
Publish
I'm flying on one of suckage Arline's (delta) next month, and am stuck paying $150.  I'm fling to Canada, and heard horror stories about shipping UPS OR FEDEX and having the bike delayed in customs  for long times, so I am flying with it and hoping for the best.

If you are not going to do several rides, I would just rent a bike at your destination. Just bring your own gear. I had good success using a rental bike in Alaska two times now, cheaper overall, no hassle flying/shipping, damage worry etc. I packed my own saddle, pedals, shoes etc, etc

Offline bigbunion

• First Bike
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 07:52:39 PM »
Publish
I've flown my road bike to Texas for the Hotter N Hell 100 several times.  I have a hard shell bike box. It is a little bit of a hassel putting it together and taking it apart but you do learn how. The initial investment in the box has paid off since i've used it several times.  Some bike shops rent the box.  Southwest is $50 dollars and not much hassel. There is a .com website that does it for the same amount but you have to give them a week to get it there.  www.shipbikes.com  I used them once. Was OK