Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Jamaica Fat Tire Festival  (Read 1056 times)

Offline YaMon

• Amateur Billy Goat
Jamaica Fat Tire Festival
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:11:36 PM »
Just thought I would post 2 videos and articles recently posted on nsmb.com

http://www.nsmb.com/5117-jamaica-fat-tyre-festival-part-i

http://nsmb.com/5285-jamaica-fat-tyre-festival-part-2/

The video in Part 1 was made for the Jamaica Tourist Board. The second is all about the riding. This year I brought 2 locals with me, Kevin Lineburger from Parrish and Chris Jenkins from Tampa. Unfortunately Chris crashed on a DH section and broke his collarbone on the last ride of the first day. I am sure he will be back to pick up where he left off. The best thing I heard from riders that live in Vancouver/BC was that the trails are better than BC. Normally I would not take notice...but when it comes from the mouth of Andreas Hestler ( Rocky Mtn Pro Rider), Dean Payne ( BC Bike Race Owner), and a few other riders from Vancouver, you have to wonder........

Enjoy.

YaMon.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Single speed 29er
Re: Jamaica Fat Tire Festival
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 08:12:31 AM »
i want to go.....
Yeah i am that guy with the socks

Offline YaMon

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »
Dump the 29er and bring a AM 26er for this one. The trails are fast and steep and exposed. Lots of bermed switchback. Not saying you can't ride it with a 29er, but it will be more fun because the bike will be pushed hard and handling required is fast. I deal bike is a 26" with FAT tires, slack head angle, dual suspension 5"-6".

Climbing is limited to double tracks to get to some of the trails. The there will be some pushing up the hills because of the steepness, but not too much.. Lots of shuttling.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »
my AM 26 is a 40lbs pig...

my 29er has slack heat tube 120mm travel land fat tires... getting fatter with new build coming soon...
http://www.konaworld.com/29er_hardtail.cfm?content=honzo
am hardtail should be able to handle  ;D

Offline YaMon

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:56:34 PM »
You can bring what you want. I am just telling you what everyone says the ideal bike is for the terrain. Most of them pros like Thomas Vanderham, Jay Hoots, Robbie Bourdon, Tyler McCaul, Katie Holden ( US DH Champ), Kathy Pruitt National Champion.....You will ride steep terrain like you have never seen anywhere. If you bring the wrong bike, don't complain to me when you are down there.....

Here's an interesting fact I read recently. Jamaica has the steepest average gradient from Sea Level to the highest point in the world.

Offline mellowme17

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
i understand... i have several months before the next one... .if i have a big travel 29er before then to replace my other thats what i will be bringing ..

Offline YaMon

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 06:46:46 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.....if you do go, you will be talking about it for a long time. The biggest problem the organizers have is the limited number they can accomodate due to being on the road for a few days. The limit is at about 25 people or the capacity of a large "coaster bus". These buses are very expensive to rent and they are the largest buses that can maneuver the steep mountain roads. Every year the same people keep coming back and it has almost turned into a yearly reunion. If you plan on going next year, book early.
In addition, the shuttles required to shuttle 40+ people up the mountain can be a daunting task. The private trails we ride will have 5+  Polaris razors, 2-4 pick up trucks, and larger trucks shuttling everyone up the mountain.

Wayne ( YaMon)

Advertisement: