Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Riding in Pigeon Forge, TN  (Read 346 times)

Offline mke_fl

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Forum Newbie
  • Favorite Trail: Carter
  • My Bike: stumpy
Riding in Pigeon Forge, TN
« on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
Heading up to Pigeon Forge / Sevierville, TN. Can anyone tell me the best place to ride?  Thanks!

Offline PoserLowroad

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Kona Carbon Race Hei Hei Supreme
Re: Riding in Pigeon Forge, TN
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 06:22:37 PM »
I just got back from there last week, we spent a week in Gatlinburg. Took the bike, but one I got there I realized that I wanted to live so it never got assembled.

There is no, repeat no, off road riding allowed anywhere in the Great Smokie Mountain National Park, but I knew that going in, I figured I would ride the roads on my MTB. Again I wanted to live so no dice, there is no room for both bikes and cars on those roads, and as I drove the roads it became very clear that I had made the right decision.

Of note: Each Saturday and Wednesday they close The Cades Cove loop to cars from sunrise to 10:00. I'ts paved, very flat, and far, about an hour a half from Pigeon Forge, but supposed to be scenic.

Best bet, make the trek to NC or GA.

I hope this helps.

PL

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 06:38:26 PM »

Offline perchman

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:02:25 PM »
Just there for Spring Break with the family.  Cades Cove is beautiful!  Long paved loop with some elevation, but nothing drastic.  Great park and you won't be alone during those closed times for riding.  Saw several riders at the beginning of the loop most with MTB's.  Almost guaranteed to see deer and turkey at that time of day, a bear would be sweet (I guess).  If you get winded, several stopping places to check out extremely old cabins, churches and homesteads.  While it's not a MTB off-road riding experience, it's breathtaking and worth it.  We stayed at Wilderness at the Smokies in Sevierville and went to Cades Cove from Pidgeon Forge.  When we left Cades I missed the turn to PF and went into Gatlinburg.  That drive is really cool but G-burg is a mess, especially on a Saturday!

Advertisement: