Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: How would I pack/ship/take my bike with me on an Airplane ?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Lance

• Forum Newbie
Hello,

I understand that many of you have traveled overseas and taken bikes along for tours, etc.

If I don't sell my bike and want to take it with me to the Philippines the next time I travel, how would I go about this?

First off, I don't want to take the bike completely apart as I would be the one putting it back together and aside from the basics, I don't want to have to readjust the gear shifting, etc. if I don't have to as it's been at least 12 years since I've done this myself and I was no expert then.

In addition, if it is recommended that a bike shop disassemble and pack, who would you recommend in the Clearwater area up through the West Pasco area including New Port Richey, Port Richey, Holiday, Tarpons Springs, etc.

What can I expect to pay to have it disassembled and packed ?

What does it typically cost to ship a bike on an airplane ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance from you experts out there in SWAMP Land.

Lance
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 12:32:15 AM by Lance »

Offline KJ-Renegade

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: How would I pack/ship/take my bike with me on an Airplane ?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:39:31 AM »
Call the airport and get the info from them. They'll know better than all of us.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: How would I pack/ship/take my bike with me on an Airplane ?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:02:32 AM »
Shipping your bike you do not have to do an over the top disassembly.  Remove the wheels, fork, pedals, seat and post together.  Might have to remove one crank arm too.  Rent a bike box, or get a cardboard box from any bike shop that a bike came in.  Be sure to support the rear dropouts for the wheel with a spacer, (any bike shop can help you get one). Protect your frame with packaging of some sort and pack your tools in your regular baggage.  The bike boxes have straps and such to keep it closed, but make sure nothing is loose inside and can fall out.  Package handlers aren't known for their gentleness.  If you use the cardboard box method - tape a cardboard box with duct tape and pack a roll inside the box for the return trip.  Or, you could have the bike shop ship it for you to a bike shop at your destination and visa versa.

Advertisement: