Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Pads and such  (Read 1766 times)

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Pads and such
« on: May 16, 2007, 02:07:31 PM »
what are you takes and thoughts - pros and cons of knee/elbow pads?

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Pads and such
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 03:08:31 PM »
what fueled my curiosity is that people are so hard core wear a helmet but the knee pad elbow pads get looked down on.  I am just curious why?

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 03:50:19 PM »
When you have them on, you don't need them.... when you have them off, you fall and wish you had them on.  I used them before.  While having them on, it allowed me to feel a bit more confident and try things I would normally not try without them.  So... use them to get confidence, dish them when you can do all technical trails we have around here.  Also use them when you go off to new trails which you are never ridden before.  More likely, you are going to wish you had them on when you don't.  You will not look cool with them on and people will stair at you.  But they don't do it when they actually save you. 

Just wish I could follow my own advice... maybe I will have more guts to ride harder trails.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 03:58:59 PM »
i just can't figure out why it is "un cool" which seems to be the popular thought on them.  i guess blood, bruises and scratches are like trophies or something?

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:18:02 PM »

Just wish I could follow my own advice... maybe I will have more guts to ride harder trails.

its all in your head grasshopper!!!  just gotta try.. remember we all fall.. even now i fall... the last time i did the big drop in boyette i was going a bit to fast and ran off the end of the trail.. there was no way i could make that turn and the trusty vee's just weren't slowing me down enough.. oh yeah and i didn't skid either..  LOL wrecked because i would not skid now thats funny...   8)

anyways, just try it you big sissy..   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

oh when you getting that mountain bike back??   ;)

-Bob  ;)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
For me it has nothing to do w/ style. It's just that your head is a far more of important part of the body to protect. Besides it's way to hot here for all that extra stuff.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:02:00 PM »
I saw 2 guys go into Moonscape recently, all done up with pads and everything else on their downhill bikes. Myself and 3 buddies were there taking a short break on or SS's, so we gave them a few minutes so we wouldn't run into them. Well, we go in, and there they were at the top off the first drop looking down, as we all just calmy clean the climb and roll the drop. Kinda seems silly to me to wear all that stuff on a cross-country trail, but then I have my share of scars. ;)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 09:00:33 PM »
Scars are good.  ;D
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:40:47 PM »
I've both worn them and not worn them on XC trails...for me I guess it depends on what I'm out to do.  If I'm out to just ride clean, fast and hard, then I don't.  I'll occasionally put them on when I'm out to try to push what I can do on some of the trails, like trying to hit whoops like you do dirt jumps and get as high as possible...sometimes I don't.  I didn't last Sat., and I wish I had right now.... ;) what are you gonna do though!!

Going up to Santos for any light freeriding (I don't have the balls or the bike for any of the bigger stuff) I always put 'em on - I get enough cuts, bruises, and scars even with them.

So, I guess, if it helps you have the confidence to push yourself, then my thought is who the hell cares if they are "uncool."
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 09:46:05 PM »
Also, it's funny, when I used to ride out in So Cal, I saw people on XC trails with knee/shin pads on frequently...not even half, but maybe half of the "regulars."  I don't see many out in FL with them though...hmmm, never really thought about it until now....
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 11:36:19 PM »
NO PADS!

I don't even think you can get hurt riding one of these bikes!         ?????         ;D ;D

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 11:42:01 PM »
I've thought about getting pads, as I do have my clumsy moments which generally involve carrying a new skin tattoo. I really dont think its needed on anything other then a few trails around here though.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
speaking of tattoos - i am seriously considering arm/elbow pads to protect my tattoos - deep cuts and hurt them

Advertisement: