Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: RIDGELINE CLOSED 8-4-2012  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
RIDGELINE CLOSED 8-4-2012
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:51:14 PM »
Hate to break the news to you folks, but checked Ridgeline today after it was hit with heavy rains and yep, some trail damage on the drops.  Wheel benders (possible taco'd wheel?) I would imagine on a couple of them.
 Once we can get it fixed we will reopen it.  Everything else is open except the last lower section on Sidewinder - same thing.

Oh yeah, Scott, includes you.  :-)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: RIDGELINE CLOSED 8-4-2012
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 04:10:26 PM »
Scott is a renegade and rides all trails.. even if they dont exisit....

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:06:14 PM »
Why not just pave it ::)

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
Touching on Scott's comment.

The past three Sundays I have rode Alafia and I've heard riders complain about how dangerous trails like Gatorback are due to the rains washing out downhills etc. I find that a little strange since this is a double black diamond trail. It's supposed to be gnarly, and challenging! Why would anyone drop into a trail like that then complain they had to walk half of it or crashed due to loose rocks, roots and sketchy washed out downhills? I understand keeping the trail maintained so the whole thing doesn't wash away but I love the current condition they are in :) :) :)

I think the SWAMP club volunteers do a great job of keeping a good mix of trails for all skill levels.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
A trail can be sketchy and gnarly and a challenge to ride.  Good ole Florida clay can also be washed out and rutted and well beyond it's intended rider experience.  Many times people say they like the challenge of a trail and they keep coming back time and time again to master it.  We're doing something right there.  (paving it isn't the answer)  Florida's soft soils and slick clay in the rainy season makes for a less than "fun and challenging" experience. 

The amount of work that it takes for the volunteers to maintain these types of trails is tremendous.  People who never work on the trails and just ride them (at times in their worst condition) usually do not realize the work it takes to keep them "fun and challenging."  Frustration sets in on those entrusted with trail maintenance and decisions get made to make them so volunteers don't have to work so extra hard to maintain them.  One of the best tools I have found is simply stay off of it in it's worst wet condition.  Once it dries it is usually solid and ready to ride with very minimal work needed.  This has been my experience with 16 years of doing trail maintenance and working with IMBA Trail Crews.

Yes, it means riding something else for a week or more, but the longevity of the trail is preserved and maybe even new challenges on the old trail when it reopens without hundreds of man hours to make it so.  One day of trail work - 5 hours x 15 workers = 75 hours.  Then there is the hog problem.  A constant repair issue that takes many hours to fix, compounded by people riding a sensitive trail or closed trail and you have a full time job with the only pay off is satisfaction of a job well done.  If the answer is to pave it, then why not just go road biking instead.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »

The past three Sundays I have rode Alafia and I've heard riders complain about how dangerous trails like Gatorback are due to the rains washing out downhills etc. I find that a little strange since this is a double black diamond trail. It's supposed to be gnarly, and challenging! Why would anyone drop into a trail like that then complain they had to walk half of it or crashed due to loose rocks, roots and sketchy washed out downhills? I understand keeping the trail maintained so the whole thing doesn't wash away but I love the current condition they are in :) :) :)

I think the SWAMP club volunteers do a great job of keeping a good mix of trails for all skill levels.
Bruce,  I highly suggest you get in contact with the NEW Alafia trail boss (jeff white).  He is on here and hopefully will shime in.  In the past, SWAMP needed more technical riders that could offer good (or bad) criticism on how technical trails should be mantained.  Not just general comments on the overall trail but specific spots on the trail.  If you could make it to one of the work days would be nice but not possible for many.  But that doesn't prevent anyone from offering opinions or comments. Jeff White has stated many times they are all welcome.  In the past, the Alafia trail boss (Art North) would mainly get beginner and intermmediate riders to come out to the work days.  So yes, the advance trails would suffer a bit.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
WOW

Offline bruceS

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »

Bruce,  I highly suggest you get in contact with the NEW Alafia trail boss (jeff white).  He is on here and hopefully will shime in.  In the past, SWAMP needed more technical riders that could offer good (or bad) criticism on how technical trails should be mantained.  Not just general comments on the overall trail but specific spots on the trail.  If you could make it to one of the work days would be nice but not possible for many.  But that doesn't prevent anyone from offering opinions or comments. Jeff White has stated many times they are all welcome.  In the past, the Alafia trail boss (Art North) would mainly get beginner and intermmediate riders to come out to the work days.  So yes, the advance trails would suffer a bit.
I think the trails are great and offer a lot of challenges, I have no complaints and by know means am I criticizing the design or maintenance practices. I think Jeff has been doing a great job. I was just venting a bit about riders heading into a double black diamond trail and complaining how dangerous it is (I ran into a couple this past Sunday). My very first time on Gatorback was met by a guy at the entrance with a flat who had bailed hard on his Walmart bike yelling in anger about how dangerous and unsafe the trail was. He was clearly over his head and never should have entered :-X.
I know this sounds like an excuse but if I didn't live so far away I would be out to help as much as possible and even though I havn't made it yet (cost me $40.00 in fuel round trip) I definitely paln on making at least once before the end of the year  :D.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
I should have picked a different word instead of criticism.  I don't mean that on a bad way at all.  What I mean is that within the SWAMP membership, at least the active ones working directly with the Board and trail boses, there may not be enough advanced trail riders.  They need more of them to offer suggestion.  They know they can't get them to come out to help but are welcoming any type of suggestion, comment, etc...  Especially specific how better mantain the advance level of a certain trail that only gets volunteers that ride lesser skill trail. 

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
...  Especially specific how better mantain the advance level of a certain trail that only gets volunteers that ride lesser skill trail.

This has been an issue for as long as I can remember.  Advanced riders and racers do not give back to the trail systems that they so enjoy, at times on an everyday basis.  Sure, in the past one or two days I have seen SOME help, but that's it.  It has become the norm that we can no longer ask people to build and repair trails they themselves won't ride.  It is too labor intensive, and people ride sensitive closed trails before the volunteers can get in there and fix them, which makes for an even more labor intensive workday.

If the cost of parking ($2 - $4) or a yearly membership of $20 is worthy of enjoying collectively over 125 miles of trails maintained by a small percentage of volunteers - then you get what is available with the resources at hand. 

For many people letting a small group of volunteers blaze the trail before them is sufficient.  For those who advocate great trail opportunities and are willing to put in the sweat equity that it takes to make it so - they go out and actually do it.

So, as in everything in life - you get what you put into it.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 03:48:59 PM »
Hey folks, Ridgeline is still closed even after several hours of repair work today.  We only have two more official workdays before the Fat Tire Fest when we expect to have over 300 riders on it!!

Meanwhile PLEASE pass the word for riders to stay off of it - and someone tell Scott Cermack too!  ;-)

Thanks!
 Garry

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 07:03:20 PM »
ooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhh!!!!  ;D

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 07:43:26 PM »
If I see him I will be sure to tell him 8)

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 07:06:26 AM »
If I see him I will be sure to tell him 8)

Scott, Ridgeline is closed....

Advertisement: