Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 02:32:01 PM] Alan: assume the position, guys

[Today at 02:31:53 PM] Pariah: that was lead out fail for Sagan...

[Today at 02:31:18 PM] ProEdgeBiker: awesome pic

[Today at 02:31:09 PM] ProEdgeBiker: http://www.steephill.tv/2013/tour-de-france/03-finish-640.jpg

[Today at 02:30:56 PM] fatcamper: more aero

[Today at 02:30:56 PM] Pariah: #buyyourmomma

[Today at 02:30:29 PM] ProEdgeBiker: by a kunthair

[Today at 02:30:24 PM] Pariah: century ride at leroy's this saturday for any of you roadie scum 

[Today at 02:30:08 PM] ProEdgeBiker: specially yesterday

[Today at 02:29:59 PM] ProEdgeBiker: AERO helped greenedge take the win yesterday & today

[Today at 02:29:11 PM] Alan: <-- too tall to care about the aero mumojumbo

[Today at 02:29:06 PM] fatcamper: aero helmets

Author Topic: Alafia trail work day - Saturday August 18th  (Read 538 times)

Offline AlwaysGoForward

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
Alafia trail work day - Saturday August 18th
« on: August 12, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »
Hello volunteers,
The FTF is coming soon to Alafia – only THREE Saturday trail work days left until Nov 9-11, 2012.

Are you interested in learning more about “how to build sustainable trails”? Coming up is our next: “Saturday work day at Alafia trail building technique” demonstration.

Fun trails are seldom flat. This Saturday’s demonstration is “retaining wall construction and drainage”. Proper rock wall structures withstand erosion. Designing correct drainage is an important element. Participate and learn the techniques - then construct a wall of your own. Already know this? - start work immediately on many other tasks.

Our trails need your valued volunteer services – together we build superior, sustainable trail systems. That’s something to be proud of… bragging rights. Check your volunteer hours for “swamp bucks” and a “trail crew” T-shirt?

Please RSVP to volunteer on the 18th and you get lunch. Work parties and demonstration starts @8:30. Lunch @12:30. Afternoon shift @1:15. The Alafia State Park gate opens @8:00 and offers free admission on the Saturday you volunteer. You must RSVP before Friday noon to be on the official name list.

Your participation is highly appreciated.
Jeff White

Online aaron1017

• Amateur Billy Goat
Re: Alafia trail work day - Saturday August 18th
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:23:10 PM »
What trails are being worked on?
Really want to get Gatorback and Moonscape worked on.

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:06:04 PM »
The more volunteers show up, the more trails get worked on.  I think I saw a post or an email from Jeff indicating that trails that get ridden the most will get worked on first.  So that means the green and blues (per Alafia standards) will probably get worked on first.  But he may always tackles spots that really need attention on other trails.  Again, the more volunteers the more work gets done.  There is a ton of TLC needed out there.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 08:46:53 PM by SandPine »

Offline AlwaysGoForward

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 07:09:25 AM »
A really big THANKS to all 18 volunteers who contributed 83 hours of muscle, sweat and time today at Alafia.

We improved Bridge’s north trail segment – you should find it fast & flowing. Thanks to Wes’ crew for the great improvements to the drop & paver climb. RockGarden & RiverLoop & (part of) RollerCoaster got a good trimming. NorthCreek received a few pavers laid properly into a mud hole and the camp access trail is now trimmed of the waist high grass.

Special thanks to my wonderful partner Alicia for a very fine lunch spread, and Marty Eubank surprised us all with a birthday cake for Alicia.

Our volunteers today:
Aaron Matthys, Alicia Diem, Bruce Kaczmarek, Daniel Marshall, Don Wright, Jeff White, Jerry Hauck, Ken Orlando, Kenneth Howard-Browne, Marcel Aguirre, Marsha Hauck, Matt Panico, Mike Cunningham, Rich Panico, Rick Knight, Ron Zajac, Ryan Strecker, Wes Eubank, William Nelson

Together we build superior, sustainable trail systems.
Thank you, Jeff White