Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Alafia ramp problem - HELP  (Read 7803 times)

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Alafia ramp problem - HELP
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »

Didn't this guy come on asking for construction advice?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2012, 07:04:08 AM »

Didn't this guy come on asking for construction advice?

yes...

Offline Frank Truluck

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Giant Trance XO 29er
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2012, 07:13:08 AM »
He asked for "help" got a bunch of smart azzed remarks and suggestions.
Help means to actually do something, he should have known better .

I guess he forgot what group of people he was asking for help.

(Ok I know there are a couple on here that have actually "helped" work on trials)

Ps. Do you think any of you could have ridden UP that wet ramp on the upcoming backwards day?
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »
Well, here is his EXACT qoute
 "Need your help. North Creek has a descending wooden ramp. When that ramp is wet (dew, rain, fog, ice ;D ) your bike wheels may slip right off the edge, producing a nasty tumble – as a few riders can attest to. Many intermediates tell me they walk down that ramp (notice the well worn side path).

I want to hear from the experts: “what is the best non-slip product/solution for this ramp?” All options are considered.
Thanks much for all input. Jeff White (trail boss)"
many different options were offered, so no reason to get panties in a wad about who comes out and helps with trail work...

Offline Jeff White

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
« Reply #79 on: September 24, 2012, 09:06:01 AM »
Here's another quote - it seems, asking for HELP doing it!
All (well, not all) good suggestions. Now, who wants to take on the challenge and finish the job?
Ride North Creek with your backpack full of shingles, staple gun and a knife and put-them-on!
Don't forget to report your volunteer hours. Take pictures: before/after for publishing.
Please. Thanks. Jeff White

Offline Frank Truluck

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Giant Trance XO 29er
« Reply #80 on: September 24, 2012, 09:22:27 AM »
And there it is...

Notice how the guys that actually took care of the issue, never even posted here? ( as far as I know ).

Good job Jeff! Thanks for the work you are doing out there.
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Jason Peres

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia - Moonscape, Boyette - Ridgeline
  • My Bike: 2013 Specialized Carbon Stumpjumper EVO, 2012 Giant Trance X1
« Reply #81 on: September 24, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »
 The new non skid paint on ramp on NC works great. My bike doesn't slip at all while I'm jumping down it.  ;) Can't wait for the first wacky Wednesday so I can try and launch it the other way to, that will be the true test...  :o
When you see me on a post "PLEASE SMITE ME"

Offline JustinMckinney

• First Bike
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2013, 04:55:43 AM »
Any type of 3M industrial strength Non-skid material will do the Job - same stuff we used in the military for similar situations - to make slippery crap not so slippery.   I would avoid any type of metal mesh that may eventually rust, slice the crap out of of tires or skin, or pother wise shred those who are on trails over their skill level.

Also - an intermediate level class would be a great thing to take folks from Wes' class at WTA to the next skill level.  The fee could cover some SWAMP expenses and could be held at Boyette and Alafia during the same month say 10.00 per class and cover the trails at both places.  lets face it what is intermediate at Boyette and intermediate at Alafia is not always the same thing...  The draw back - finding someone to teach the class that everyone would feel has the "credentials" to do so and who is willing to do so.
Thanks for the suggestion.. I am facing similar issue and I think your tips will work well.. Thanks again

Offline JustinMckinney

• First Bike
« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:29 PM »
Any type of 3M industrial strength Non-skid led lighting will do the Job - same stuff we used in the military for similar situations - to make slippery crap not so slippery.   I would avoid any type of metal mesh that may eventually rust, slice the crap out of of tires or skin, or pother wise shred those who are on trails over their skill level.

Also - an intermediate level class would be a great thing to take folks from Wes' class at WTA to the next skill level.  The fee could cover some SWAMP expenses and could be held at Boyette and Alafia during the same month say 10.00 per class and cover the trails at both places.  lets face it what is intermediate at Boyette and intermediate at Alafia is not always the same thing...  The draw back - finding someone to teach the class that everyone would feel has the "credentials" to do so and who is willing to do so.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I am facing similar issue and I think your tips will work well.. Thanks again

Offline rvisco

• First Bike
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2013, 08:11:32 AM »
One thing that helps is to not use your brakes if you are.  By letting the wheels roll it reduces your chances of sliding out.  Just a thought.

Advertisement: