Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 03:25:03 PM] Murf: never mind i thoulf the foil graphic was showing the bike

[Today at 03:25:00 PM] Alan: pretty cool of Scott to also color in the other Scott bike that is way back not taking second place

[Today at 03:25:00 PM] ProEdgeBiker: lots of 25mm tires in that pic

[Today at 03:24:17 PM] Murf: thats a whole lot of naked old people 

[Today at 03:23:51 PM] Murf: why does the dude on the foil have a bmc kit 

[Today at 03:23:36 PM] aaron1017: http://www.reddit.com/r/tampa/comments/1hiiuz/skinny_dipping_guiness_world_record_attempt_in/

[Today at 03:23:09 PM] ProEdgeBiker: it be raining in olds right now

[Today at 03:22:36 PM] ProEdgeBiker: MARKETING MACHINE HAS BEGUN! http://dfp2hfrf3mn0u.cloudfront.net/TDF/TDF_Stage_3_Win_mainBanner_2.jpg

[Today at 03:22:23 PM] Alan: seems like no ride today :(

[Today at 03:20:21 PM] aaron1017: pretty plz rain go away

[Today at 03:18:58 PM] Alan: go away, rain

[Today at 03:01:49 PM] Murf: scotts scale is sub 1000 grams

Author Topic: Alafia - trail maintenance status  (Read 846 times)

Offline AlwaysGoForward

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Favorite Trail: MagicIsland
  • My Bike: Specialized SJ 29er
Alafia - trail maintenance status
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:53:09 PM »
 Hi allriders,
 I am not anticipating what the monsoon rainfall is doing to our trail system. I just wanted to update all riders on the progress towards getting Alafia trails(map) back to their expectations – e.g. blue trail signs welcome intermediate riders.

In the last five weeks and many trail work hours from our dedicated volunteers, the status is:
 - returned NorthCreek to intermediate riding ability. This includes the trail to/from the campground. The only exceptions are one large mud hole and one advanced wooden TTF;
 - returned Bridge’s main loop to intermediate riding ability;
 - SandPine and most of RollerCoaster are power trimmed with great visibility for fast riding;
 - RockGarden’s north section (to the horse 2-track) is hand trimmed and some power trimming is still needed. The south section, starting after the hard option, has a lot of mud trail bed;
 - RiverLoop’s north loop has been trimmed. The south loop is a disaster with underwater trails and floating boardwalks. Please honor the CLOSED signs.
 - with minor exceptions, none of the advanced/black trails or advanced options have been touched, yet;

Maintenance over the next four weeks:

- NorthCreek’s last mud hole
 - return RollerCoaster’s main loop to intermediate riding ability;
 - RockGarden’s novice loop;
 - RockGarden’s intermediate loop;

This appeal is to rider’s who have given up on Alafia because there were no longer any [font=]intermediate[/font] trails to ride. This condition is changing.
 Jeff White

Offline PoserLowroad

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: Giant Trace X frame with a bunch of weight weenie parts bolted to it.
Re: Alafia - trail maintenance status
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:17:44 AM »
Haters going to hate, but I agree with everything you are doing, most of Bridges has not been an intermediate trail for a very long time.

I love the flow of North Creek, great work on the erosion, though I went OTB on Buzzard Bay on the drop at the start just after the new bridge, live and learn, (and bought new helmet)

Offline bruceS

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Brave, FRX
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:00 AM »
Honest question. What was Bridges considered before? Beginner?

By the way I appreciate all the work that is put in to keep the trails up and to Jeff for taking on a title that is criticized constantly ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:57:30 AM by bruceS »

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Scott Scale 949 29er, WaltWorks 29er, Trance X, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:04 AM »
Thank you Jeff :)

Offline SandPine

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:05:03 AM »

By the way I appreciate all the work that is put in to keep the trails up and to Jeff for taking on a title that is critized constantly ;)
Bridges = Blue intermediate.  With the exception of Shelly's loop and the north whoops (after horseshoe climb).  Those were "advanced (black)" features.  Those whoops used to A LOT more steep than what they are now.  They probably all blue now.  I do find Bridges a bit smoother than some of the green easy trails.  More hard packed too.

Offline Pariah

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »

By the way I appreciate all the work that is put in to keep the trails up and to Jeff for taking on a title that is critized constantly ;)
Bridges = Blue intermediate.  With the exception of Shelly's loop and the north whoops (after horseshoe climb).  Those were "advanced (black)" features.  Those whoops used to A LOT more steep than what they are now.  They probably all blue now.  I do find Bridges a bit smoother than some of the green easy trails.  More hard packed too.

smooth and hard packed doesn't mean the trail is easy, just well enjoyed - keep in mind the skill lvl of the trail is measured vs. the trails in that system and not the opinions of the folks who ride them.  The application of skill lvl needs to be unbiased by rider opinion to correctly describe the trails for folks who do not live at the trail head.  new folks to alafia need to have a reliable skill level designation to go by so they DON'T get in over their heads.  Also - hard packed and smooth at intermediate lvl also takes into account how fast you ride the trails.  you don't boulders and downed trees and roots the size a VW bus to make a trail a "blue" trail...

You can't have someone who coasts through gatorback and all of moonscape coming in and saying northcreek and bridges are too easy...  No * if you can clean Gatorback and moonscape the rest of the park is going to be easy...for YOU...not everyone else...

WARNING  This document may contain technical data whose export is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (Title 22, U.S.C., Sec 2778, et seq.) or the Export Administration Act of 1979, as amended (Title 50, U.S.C., App. 2401 et seq.). Violation of these export laws are subject to criminal penalty

Offline bruceS

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: Brave, FRX
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »

Also - hard packed and smooth at intermediate lvl also takes into account how fast you ride the trails.  you don't boulders and downed trees and roots the size a VW bus to make a trail a "blue" trail......

I agree 100%!

Offline Tampabaynsxr

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: Stumpy FSR Carbon Expert 29er
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 11:58:55 PM »
I've seen Jeff on several Tuesday mornings diligently tending to North Creek and Bridges. North Creek really flows nicely now and my buddies from the Bayside Community Church MTB club really appreciate all The hard work!  You Rock!