Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Healing Vibes.....  (Read 546 times)

Offline Nat Pinheiro

• Huffy Rider
  • My Bike: 2008 GT Force, 2012 Redline 29er
Healing Vibes.....
« on: August 25, 2012, 05:11:20 PM »
To the guy who shattered his ankle on North Creek today. Hope you heal up quick. The lesson learned was, call the ranger first. We should have the number programmed into our phones. Someone called 911 and they said" Alafia State Park, where's that?" If we call the ranger, they can call the proper authorities and let them know what equipment they need to bring to extract the rider from the trail. There was some confusion, and the rescue could have been expedited if the ranger had been notified.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Healing Vibes.....
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »
Hope he recovers soon.  I seen worse accidents out there.  Yes notifying the Ranger first helps.  Not sure what the 911 confusion was about but there are 2-3 Alafia TH.  The horse one, the mtb'ing one, and the campground.  I've seen first responders go to the horse section when the injured person was on the mtb;ing parking lot.  Maybe they wanted more specific directions to where the injured person was?  I can't image 911 not knowing where Alafia State Park is at.  Or maybe they wanted a street address as every other 911 call tries to get when a cell phone call comes through.

Offline Nat Pinheiro

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
I think that was part of the problem. You're talking to a dispacher in Tampa, and the guy who called did not know the street address, but who does? The ranger can call 911, give the address, and let them know they need the mule thing that is like a one-wheel all terrain gurney that they can get back there. He fell on the very 1st "harder" option on North creek, that drop with the steps on it. They got the equipment in on the hiking trail with the staircase. They still needed a block and tackle to get him out.

Offline Chopper Read

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Horizontal Trackstand Expert
  • My Bike: Green Machine
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 06:52:13 PM »
Where on NC was the crash?

Offline Nat Pinheiro

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
The first "harder" option, right at the beginning of the trail. From what I heard from someone that saw it, the guy went OTB on the drop. He was recovering from an ankle injury. He jumped up after the crash, and when he came back down, his ankle shattered. The crash didn't do the damage. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm relaying second hand information.

Offline Chopper Read

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • Horizontal Trackstand Expert
  • My Bike: Green Machine
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
I was just saying in the SB yesterday that there is something about that section.....yesterday I found a single prescription lens, a clear rear wheel disc, and an entire brake lever assembly spread out from the base of the root steps to that tree on the right.

I'm not saying nerf it by any means, it just seems to catch people by surprise.

Hope the guy's ankle heals up ok, terrible he made it through the crash only to have it come apart like that.

Offline Nat Pinheiro

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »
I saw the brake lever too.  :o

Advertisement: